• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reading uni student union ban controversial Muslim preacher

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
RUSU, Reading uni and Reading uni Muslim society have withdrawn a controversial Muslim preacher from RUMS discover Islam week. Islamist preacher, Abu Usamah at-Thahabi, has been known to endorse the murder of gay people and of Muslims who give up their faith.

I'll include a few choice quotes from the huffington post article below

At the last minute, the university decided to cancel Thahabi's talk but not because of his sexism, homophobia and de facto incitement to murder. The reason the authorities cited for cancelling was, they said, "the increasing threat of violent protest by extremist groups." These groups were not named.

Some people interpreted this as a smear against the peaceful counter-protest planned by the anti-extremist group, Student Rights, and by the Reading Atheist, Humanist and Secularist Society (RAHS).

"....the University has agreed to work with RUSU to ensure its policies reflect the need to protect the principles of freedom of speech in balance with the rights of all constituent parts of the student community. The University is committed to upholding both the right to free speech and the right to lawful protest within an environment that guarantees the safety of all users of our campuses."

What is this nonsense about supporting free speech? The Reading University Student's Union (RUSU) is a notorious opponent of free speech. At last October's Freshers' Fayre, they used security staff to force out the student Reading Atheist, Humanist, and Secularist Society (RAHS) after they included a pineapple labelled 'Mohammed' on their stall.

Peter G Tatchell: Reading University Colludes With Far-Right Extremist Muslim Society

TommyDar

The University absolutely have done the right thing in this case.

But I would go further: anyone who advocates outright murder on grounds of religion or sexual orientation should be sent to jail. This is not free speech but rather encouraging violent behaviour which could result in the death of innocents.

But what is unfortunate is that Abu Usamah's views are backed by the Koran. That to me seems to be the root of the issue.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The University absolutely have done the right thing in this case.

But I would go further: anyone who advocates outright murder on grounds of religion or sexual orientation should be sent to jail. This is not free speech but rather encouraging violent behaviour which could result in the death of innocents.

But what is unfortunate is that Abu Usamah's views are backed by the Koran. That to me seems to be the root of the issue.

I do agree.