• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reading Comprehension.

Earthling

David Henson
What do you think the average reading comprehension is?

Almost non existent. I think that, generally speaking, you have to read something to comprehend it and well . . . apparently . . . **** that, who has the time?

If you go to a website and check out their stats they may have 10,000 hits a day but 90% of them are there less than .10 seconds.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Average? :D

Probably less and less over time as there is no need to really read anything anymore -- if you can half-way type something your browser will auto-correct and you can still get to a video somewhere.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
**** poor if RF is anything to go by.

Really? I have to disagree on that front. It is rare that reading comprehension is a problem excepting cases where the writing is terrible. Reading comprehension is simply processing text to understand its meaning and integrate it with one's prior knowledge. Most instances of failed "comprehension" around here happen because of differences in prior knowledge, which reflects cultural/religious differences. What one person means when they say "religion" for example and how the reader interprets it are often markedly different not because of problems of reading comprehension, but because of genuine differences in cultural backgrounds or upbringing.

That said, I also think a lot of folks will conflate reading comprehension with agreement.

RF culture (meaningless as it is in the grand scheme of things) aside, research has been done on this sort of thing and is tracked by educators. I'll defer to them on good resources for this kind of thing. This is the main organization that tracks it, though: NAEP reading - Reading Assessment

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Below poor. In today’s age we react to more information than ever before. We type without even looking at our keyboards. But we are living in an age where everything has to be instantaneous. So people might skim a post or a news story even and react immediately without rereading or absorbing the message properly. I know I’m guilty of this countless times. I have a bad temper that I have to reign in all the time.

Though I do try to improve my comprehension by reading a fancy old timey “classic book.” One that requires me to reread every sentence to properly understand what the hell the author is pretentiously and artistically saying. Because I’m stupid.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Varied.
Sometimes people infer what I intend.
Other times the poster thinks I'm a Christian creationist arguing against evolution.
(Yes, it's happened.)