• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read through the entire bible in 7-10 days

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Honestly i'm having a hard time getting through genesis already so I might just go for the Bhagavad gita in a bit, it's short in comparison and honestly a better story. I'll still do the bible but already fell like a break.
You really should break it down to a couple of chapters per day. You can read the Bible alongside other books. I do. My favorite collection of online Bibles and reading guides is this site: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages. They have Catholic Bibles, too!

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I've just recently finished going through the god delusion by Richard Dawkins. Honestly I've never liked Dawkins and I've found his writing style to be almost unbearable. So we're looking for a change of pace.
My intention is to read through the entire Christian bible in either 7 or 10 days. I was just wondering what translations people would think were best for this sort of thing?

Also I intend to read the Kitab-I-Iqan after this so if anyone has any recommendations for Baha'i literature i'd be interested.

The whole Bible in 7-10 days? Seems like you might miss some crucial plot points. Imagine getting to Matthew 28:6 and realising 'Hold on a sec... Jesus' tomb? "Jesus is risen"? Wait... he died? When? How?! When did this happen?!' flicks back through the Gospel of Matthew frantically

Last edited:

DanielR

I'm not thinking you are going to get much out of the Bible. Although Jesus' moral messages still resonate, the rest of it is a product of an ancient time. I believe the east (India) has always been spiritually more advanced than the west. The Bhagavad Gita is indeed timeless, but perhaps a little challenging at first for those westerners not acquainted with eastern concepts. You may be different but the initial turning point in my thinking came from my studies of the paranormal and the teachings of more modern spiritual masters.

that's so wrong lol. Ecclesiastes, Job and the Psalms are the best parts of the bible, look them up haha

Darz

7-10 days!?! Most of the books in the Bible are extremely dry and boring so trying to read it in 7-10 days sounds like a week of self inflicted torture.

Having said that, I prefer the New American Bible (revised edition) because it includes the deuterocanonical books, is a very good English translation, and includes commentary that I find to be true biblical criticism.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I've just recently finished going through the god delusion by Richard Dawkins. Honestly I've never liked Dawkins and I've found his writing style to be almost unbearable. So we're looking for a change of pace.
My intention is to read through the entire Christian bible in either 7 or 10 days. I was just wondering what translations people would think were best for this sort of thing?

Also I intend to read the Kitab-I-Iqan after this so if anyone has any recommendations for Baha'i literature i'd be interested.
Although I pray to God, Mother Mary, the spirits, and the Angels almost nonstop, I'm not much of a Bible person. The God of the Bible and the God I know are just not the same person.

I always keep in mind that Jesus forgave those who were crucifying him and cried out from the cross "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do". You might want to start your reading with the New Testament.

Well Lorgar,
I don't know you but I believe from reading your posts that you have destiny. It really bothers me that God hasn't revealed himself to a good person like you. I think he is working on your heart and that is why you are going to read the Bible.

I find it heartbreaking that the earth has good people like you that are ready to embrace their heavenly Father and Mother, but God insists on remaining hidden from them.

Don't forget that God has left messages in his creation as well as his word. Sometimes nature can speak to us louder and more eloquently than any book.
b9fd1d087dce7b74166a46594f370cb7.jpg

Peace and good will to you my friend! May the Holy Spirit be with you and guide you on your journey!

Lorgar-Aurelian

May I ask why you set a time deadline? There's reading and then there is reading. IMO, powering through literature just to get it done within some time frame doesn't give it time to inspire and percolate. This is especially the case with mythological texts, whose depth of meaning and symbolism demands time to pontificate.

In all honesty, reading the whole Bible as fast as possible doesn't seem like a good idea. It is ancient, diverse, and from a range of sources and their different agendas. It's full of idiomatic terms that don't really translate into modern English and usage culture.

I personally find that focusing on one part and exploring a range of opinions about it would be a better use of that kind of time period.

Also, I found Isaac Asimov's "Guide to the Bible" incredibly helpful and fascinating. Regardless of what you think of his theology, Asimov was a brilliant researcher and writer. That book is excellent and huge. It'll keep you busy for a month:)
Tom

The whole Bible in 7-10 days? Seems like you might miss some crucial plot points. Imagine getting to Matthew 28:6 and realising 'Hold on a sec... Jesus' tomb? "Jesus is risen"? Wait... he died? When? How?! When did this happen?!' flicks back through the Gospel of Matthew frantically

Alright honestly guys this is not that hard. I can easily get through the entire scripture without skipping anything. I have a ton of free time and since the power was out for almost 12 hours today I spent most of that time reading ( and digging myself out of the snow for a bit but that Is another story) and i'm not going to "miss out on the meaning" because I read quickly.

On top of all this this is not even my first time reading the bible. I've read it numerous times before cover to cover and my intention is to do this as a refresher. Honestly I can complete the bible in a shorter time frame if I really just want to get through it.

UpperLimits

That's quite the project you've got planned there. Technically it's not impossible though. Audio recordings by professional speakers are typically 48 hours in length. So, I guess if you have THAT much time each day to devote to the project to get it done.

IMHO, I don't think you'll get that much out of it. A project like this seems to me to be more of a glossing of words over the eyes. Personally I like to take time meditate. Smell the roses, so to speak. But to each their own, I guess.

As for what to read, you might want to read a more contemporary version. Versions vary widely. Some are intended for technical accuracy. The KJV and NIV are in this class. Other versions are intended to convey the thought, rather than translation accuracy. The NASB or RSV would be examples. There are a few intended to read like a novel. These might be easier reading. They include versions such as the CEV, TEV, or The Way.

Hope this helps.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Alright honestly guys this is not that hard. I can easily get through the entire scripture without skipping anything. I have a ton of free time and since the power was out for almost 12 hours today I spent most of that time reading ( and digging myself out of the snow for a bit but that Is another story) and i'm not going to "miss out on the meaning" because I read quickly.

If you say so. I am patently unconvinced.
A lot of the meaningfulness of mythologies comes from living your life, and then relating your life to the tales. That doesn't happen by having one's face stuffed in a book or listening to the bards for a couple hours. The best stories are the ones whose meaningfulness happens once you put the book
down - and this is what mythologies do. There is no powering through that, whether you skip a few paragraphs or not.