• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read through the entire bible in 7-10 days

Lorgar-Aurelian

I've just recently finished going through the god delusion by Richard Dawkins. Honestly I've never liked Dawkins and I've found his writing style to be almost unbearable. So we're looking for a change of pace.
My intention is to read through the entire Christian bible in either 7 or 10 days. I was just wondering what translations people would think were best for this sort of thing?

Also I intend to read the Kitab-I-Iqan after this so if anyone has any recommendations for Baha'i literature i'd be interested.

danieldemol

Premium Member
All the best with your reading.
There is lots of good Baha'i books, but in my opinion you are beginning with the best.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any queries we are only a dir away :)

Lorgar-Aurelian

Just to overwhelm, the best scripture is definitely the Bhagavad Gita.
Honestly i'm having a hard time getting through genesis already so I might just go for the Bhagavad gita in a bit, it's short in comparison and honestly a better story. I'll still do the bible but already fell like a break.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Honestly i'm having a hard time getting through genesis already so I might just go for the Bhagavad gita in a bit, it's short in comparison and honestly a better story. I'll still do the bible but already fell like a break.
The Old Testament can be very dry at times, but Genesis and Exodus are pretty easy reads as they at least have narratives. It gets much more tedious when you hit Leviticus. Keep in mind that much of the Bible (especially the Old Testament) was written for a specific audience, so much of the text will have little personal relevance for you. It's ultimately a religious text, not a novel. It's not meant to entertain you.

Anyway, getting though the whole Bible in just over a week is a big ask. I'm not saying it can't be done but if you want to read the whole thing do it a few chapters at a time over a few months if not a year. Regardless of your beliefs, the Bible is a text that deserves to be taken at least somewhat seriously if you have any pretensions of understanding it.

littlefire

You can call me Fio
There are lots of different devotional ways of reading the Bible in Protestant traditions that involve reading parts of the New Testament and Old Testament at the same time, often interspersed with Psalms and Proverbs. This definitely makes reading Genesis thru Joshua more manageable. I can link to a reading plan if you'd like - they're normally set up to do in a whole year and not a week but can definitely be used as a guide. Some are semi-chronological and some are more thematic. Props to you (I can't read that much of anything in a week)
As far as translations are concerned, it depends on if you're going for "accuracy" in whatever way one defines it, readability, or traditional value (e.g., the King James Version holds a lot of historical and traditional significance, but is not normally considered the most accurate or user-friendly version of the Bible).

Lorgar-Aurelian

The Old Testament can be very dry at times, but Genesis and Exodus are pretty easy reads as they at least have narratives. It gets much more tedious when you hit Leviticus. Keep in mind that much of the Bible (especially the Old Testament) was written for a specific audience, so much of the text will have little personal relevance for you. It's ultimately a religious text, not a novel. It's not meant to entertain you.

Anyway, getting though the whole Bible in just over a week is a big ask. I'm not saying it can't be done but if you want to read the whole thing do it a few chapters at a time over a few months if not a year. Regardless of your beliefs, the Bible is a text that deserves to be taken at least somewhat seriously if you have any pretensions of understanding it.
This isn't really for understanding it so much as it is a refresher. I've read through the bible on what now seems like numerous occasions but it helps to stay fresh.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If you're looking to branch out, Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology" is actually a really good, cohesive telling of the Norse myths.
Oh I have that one. But I wasn't sure how "authentic" it was. Also heard mixed things from people, though to be fair maybe they were expecting more quirky retelling.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May I ask why you set a time deadline? There's reading and then there is reading. IMO, powering through literature just to get it done within some time frame doesn't give it time to inspire and percolate. This is especially the case with mythological texts, whose depth of meaning and symbolism demands time to pontificate.

omega2xx

I've just recently finished going through the god delusion by Richard Dawkins. Honestly I've never liked Dawkins and I've found his writing style to be almost unbearable. So we're looking for a change of pace.
My intention is to read through the entire Christian bible in either 7 or 10 days. I was just wondering what translations people would think were best for this sort of thing?

I wish I had that ability

Th New American Standard Bible is considered one of the most accurate.. The New Kings James is also excellent. Let me suggest one with cross references. They help our understanding many times.

I have several copies of the NASB if you would like a free copy I will be glad to send you one. Just let me know. Although I am sure you can find it on the internet.

omega2xx

May I ask why you set a time deadline? There's reading and then there is reading. IMO, powering through literature just to get it done within some time frame doesn't give it time to inspire and percolate. This is especially the case with mythological texts, whose depth of meaning and symbolism demands time to pontificate.

Good advice. Just reading limits understanding.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My favorite translations are the New American Bible: Revised Edition and the Revised Standard Version: Second Catholic Edition. Catholic Bibles have 7 more books and other material than the Protestant canon does. The first translation I mentioned is full of footnotes, so it's the better choice for study.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This isn't really for understanding it so much as it is a refresher. I've read through the bible on what now seems like numerous occasions but it helps to stay fresh.
In all honesty, reading the whole Bible as fast as possible doesn't seem like a good idea. It is ancient, diverse, and from a range of sources and their different agendas. It's full of idiomatic terms that don't really translate into modern English and usage culture.

I personally find that focusing on one part and exploring a range of opinions about it would be a better use of that kind of time period.

Also, I found Isaac Asimov's "Guide to the Bible" incredibly helpful and fascinating. Regardless of what you think of his theology, Asimov was a brilliant researcher and writer. That book is excellent and huge. It'll keep you busy for a month:)
Tom

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'm not thinking you are going to get much out of the Bible. Although Jesus' moral messages still resonate, the rest of it is a product of an ancient time. I believe the east (India) has always been spiritually more advanced than the west. The Bhagavad Gita is indeed timeless, but perhaps a little challenging at first for those westerners not acquainted with eastern concepts. You may be different but the initial turning point in my thinking came from my studies of the paranormal and the teachings of more modern spiritual masters.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not thinking you are going to get much out of the Bible. Although Jesus' moral messages still resonate, the rest of it is a product of an ancient time. I believe the east (India) has always been spiritually more advanced than the west. The Bhagavad Gita is indeed timeless, but perhaps a little challenging at first for those westerners not acquainted with eastern concepts. You may be different but the initial turning point in my thinking came from my studies of the paranormal and the teachings of more modern spiritual masters.
That's your opinion. It's a bit rude to assume that someone won't get anything out of reading the Bible, but then promote your own views. Be happy with your own beliefs, but don't put others down.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
That's your opinion. It's a bit rude to assume that someone won't get anything out of reading the Bible, but then promote your own views. Be happy with your own beliefs, but don't put others down.
I was expressing my opinion and it was based on his comments about Genesis. So there!:p