• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rate English Translations

Amala

Namaste,

I would love to find a more detailed translation of the Mahaabhaarata than the one I'm currently reading (and not enjoying at all) - the C. Raajaagopaalaacaarii rendition. [Excuse all the vowels! While I'm learning the language, it's important to me to get pronunciation correct and distinguisting between long and short vowels is essential.] As I understand it, he's writing to Indians who already have many of the stories told to them - they get the context of the stories... see references to them every day in their surroundings. For those of us who are totally new to the stories, this rendition can for some of us be extremely dilute and uninformative. Do others agree?

I see the link in the stick on Hindu texts, the Ganguli rendition. That looks wonderful, but at the opposite extreme. Anything out there between CR's and G's?

While we're at it, any other comparisons of other translations would be fun! I will likely be looking for a good rendition of the Raamaayan.a soon, too.

Om shanti

Amala

Last edited: