• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rastafarianism

Greetings,

I am new here (my first post), so I thought I should post a guide to my Rastafarian beliefs.

Key Figures

Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia (1930 – 1974), Marcus Garvey, Dr. Vernon “Prophet Gad” Carrington, Prince Emmanuel Charles Edwards, Leonard Howell, Joseph Hibbert.

Key Beliefs/Concepts

- His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie the First of Ethiopia, (formerly known as Ras Tafari Makonnen) is divine. Some believe he is God (JAH), others believe he is Iyesos Kristos (Jesus Christ), still others believe he is both

- Ethiopia/Africa is Heaven (Zion) on Earth

- Babylon, the system, must fall before JAH can at last return for the Judgment. At that time we can return to Africa. Babylon consists of things such as materialism, discrimination, and other forms of oppression

Major Sects

Twelve Tribes of Israel – Founded by Prophet Gad, they very much Christian. They generally believe they descendant of the Lost Tribes, and an astrological system is employed to sort members into the various tribes. In 1997, they (read Prophet Gad) officially declared Haile Selassie was Christ alone, and not JAH.

Theocratic Order of the Nyabinghi – the original sect of Rastafari. They place an emphasis on Ethiopia and living Rastafari livity (see below). Several respected Rastafari elders (i.e. Ras Pidow, Ras Sam Brown etc.) are members of the Order.

Bobo Shanti – Prince Emmanuel founded this sect and he is worshipped as the Black Christ in a priestly form. He, Haile Selassie, and their descendants are worshipped as Gods. The Bobo Shanti demand monetary reparations for the slavery of black people. They are essentially Black Supremacists.

Holy Texts

The Bible – the Ethiopian Orthodox canon with the King James text. All other versions are considered to be tainted by Babylon, in an attempt to hide the truth.

The Kebra Nagast – Relates the story of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon, who had a son together, Menelik. Menelik would found the Solomonic Dynasty in Ethiopia and would also bring the Ark of the Covenant to the Cathedral at Axum.

The Fetha Nagast – A book of laws, provided the basis for the legal system under the Solomonic Dynasty. Not widely used in Rasta circles.

The Rasta Ible, the Holy Piby

Rasta Livity

Dreadlocks. The cutting of hair or into flesh is to be avoided whenever possible. It is not mandatory just strongly emphasized.

I-tal food. A diet of pure food. Products to be avoided: processed, preserved, and/or genetically modified food. Salt is only allowed if it is natural sea salt. Other restrictions include pork or the meat from any other animal that scavenges off the earth (i.e. shellfish). Also not mandatory.

Ganja/Marijuana – Misunderstood. It is honoured as a sacrament by most members. The aim is not to get high, stoned etc. but rather to be closer to JAH and to meditate. Definitely not required.

Symbols

Conquering Lion of Judah – Symbolizes Selassie and Christ, as well as Ethiopia

Imperial Ethiopian Flag – Vertical stripes of green, gold, red with a Lion in the center.

Green, Gold, Red – Have various representations. Green is the land of Africa, gold is the sun and/or the mineral wealth of Africa, and red is the blood of martyrs/patriots.

Misconceptions

Marijuana – it is not an excuse to smoke. It is just as illegal for a Rasta to smoke than any other person. Not every Rasta smokes (I don’t).

Colour of Skin – Anyone can be a Rasta. Some brethren do want whites to be Rastas but the majority don’t mind. I am white by the way.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

JAH Bless,

CanuckRasta

Master Vigil

Welcome to my neck of the woods Canuck!!!! Perhaps we can get you a separate forum here. You'll have to ask Rex though.

Master Vigil

I guess I will ask the same question here so that this forum can add to our discussion.

Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia (1930 – 1974)

I have a quick question, why do you see this man as divine? He wasn't even a rasta, nor did he ever agree with what the rasta's believed? Actually, I've read somewhere that he disagreed completely with them. I also read that before Haile took office, a man prophecised that a great leader would come. And alot of rasta's just thought he was the one. What is your take on this?

Also, you quoted where he basically came out and told rastas not to believe he was christ.

Bill Mc Neil: "there are millions of Christians throughout the world, your Imperial Majesty, who regard you as the reincarnation of Jesus Christ."
Selassie I: "I had heard of that idea. I also met certain Rastafarians. I told them clearly that 'I am a man,' that 'I am Mortal,' and that 'I would be replaced by the oncoming generation, and that they should never make a mistake in assuming or pretending that the human being is emanated from a deity.'"

And I said afterwards...

But he sure made it clear that he wasn't divine. You know the whole "I am a man" not a god, "I am mortal", nothing special like a god. "Never pretend that the human being is emanated from a deity." Your leader is telling you not to believe he is descended from christ. I fear there is little or no evidence supporting the rasta belief. But I sure love the dreads!!

"His birth had been foretold by astrologers and chaplains. They reasoned that the planets of Neptune and Pluto, would intersect in July 1892 having started moving towards each other 493 years earlier in 1399. This would in turn influence the constellation Leo, that is the house of Judah. They also foretold the great drought that started in 1889 and was broken at the moment of the child's birth thus confirming his identity and destiny."

What about his knowledge of the Ark, or his vast knowledge of holy texts??
"Further, it was said that as a young student, Tafari was quite bright, competent at his lessons, but that he had truly astounded the priest with the depth of his knowledge concerning religious and mystical matters not only could he quote freely from the book of Kufale, the book of Inoch, The Shepherd of Hermas, Judith, Ecclesiasticus, Tobit, The Matshafa Berhan (Book of Light), The Sixth and Sevent books of Moses, the book of Eden (Secretly deleted from Genesis during the dark ages), all thirty-one books of the Hebrew Bible, the twenty-one Canonical books of the New Testament but numerous Apocryphal and Pseudepigrahic books."

"At one point an old abmnet (Abbot) allegedly asked to examine Tafari's palms. he saw that there were Shgmata there and the lifeline back upon itself in an emblem of infinity, Tafari whispered a word in the abbot's ear and all colour drained from the old man's face. He left the room apparently in shock, refusing to return or to speak with his colleagues.
Tafari addressed a monk who served in the Cathedral of Azum, where the ark is kept. Tafari described to him in Kushed the Kedusta Kedussan, the Holy of Holies or inner sanctum where the Tabot - The Ark - is kept and recited various inscriptions written upon it. Close to fainting with the shock of what Tafari was disclosing, the monk is said to have covered his ears to shut out these blasphemous revelations and he and the rest of the priests hurriedly dispersed."

CanuckRasta

Master Vigil

And yet, he still told everyone to not believe in what they believed. Are those just stories? Are their pictures of his stigmata? Could it be that he was just an extremely brilliant and gifted child, like all those who are in medical school by the age 10? But instead of math, he chose biblical stories and language to learn?

Okay, I am going to take a second to give a different perspective on His Majesty’s answer to the question.

Is it not possible that he had no idea he was divine?? I know it sounds improbable that he could not know, but remember he is spiritually the manifestation of JAH, physically he isn’t (which would explain why he is mortal). Something to think about.

JAH Bless,
CanuckRasta

Master Vigil

Christ claimed to be that which he is called, Buddha as well. And people started following their teachings directly from them. Haille did not claim this, but the opposite, yet people still made up stories around him. Worshipping him against his will. Why worship someone, who doesn't even claim to be what he is called? Did he provide any teachings? If not, what divine teachings do you have? If anything, you just have the bible, and therefore are christians. Why still follow a mortal man?

Did he really say he never wanted to be worshipped?? He said that he is man, he is mortal, and that man cannot emanate from deity.

I personally, do not consider myself a Christian. However, many Rastas do consider themselves Christians. I would rather not elaborate in public as I would prefer to not offend anyone being as I am so new to the forum. If you would like to send me a private message or e-mail, I can outline further.

Haile Selassie said that he glories in the Bible. I understand this to mean that he considers the Bible to be true.

Does the Bible not say that Christ shall return as the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of Judah, from the root of King David (Rev. 5:5)? Further, King David had a covenant with God, stating that David's decendants shall forever rule the Earth. The Kebra Nagast, recognized by both the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and the Imperial Family, confirms that King Solomon's son Menelik founded the Solomonic Dynasty in Ethiopia, of which Ras Tafari Makonnen (Might of the Trinity) was the 225th restorer. In addition, Ethiopia would have the only direct royal line from King David. The Bible says that Christ shall come in a new name, a name that shall cause the heathen to tremble with fear.

In 1936, when Italy invaded the Holy Land of Ethiopia, the evil Pope Paul gave the fascist Mussolini Papal support to to the invasion. Not only that, Paul also blessed bombs that were meant to destroy Ethiopia. Several bombs that were supposedly blessed by the Pope failed to explode after being deployed. Four years later, in 1941, the Lion smote the Dragon and Haile Selassie returned to his land.

When rebel soldiers read a declaration to Haile Selassie in 1974, stripping him of his titles and powers, they quaked with fear. I have yet to see any 82-year-old man I would quake before, and those soldiers had rifles.

CanuckRasta

Master Vigil

I'm sorry, I'm still failing to see any proof that Haille is Jesus returned.

"Did he really say he never wanted to be worshipped??"

I have yet to see any evidence claiming the opposite.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Perhaps his divinity is in the fact that he denied it. :D

Had he embrased it, it would be a very poor show of charactor.

wa:do

Master Vigil

Who knows Painted wolf, there is much about the religion that is very obscure. I suppose a more indepth look at the culture would help with the understanding of the Rastas.

Here are some of my favourite Rasta links:

www.rasta-man.co.uk – contains an excellent overview and history of the faith. Also, the forum is a great place to learn and gather. Let me know if you join the forum, I am a member.

www.nyahbinghi.org – website of a Nyahbinghi house in Harlem, New York. Provides valuable insight into the Theocratic Order including how members are expected to act.

www.rastafari.org – Not really frequented by non-Rastas. It is a place where Rastas gather to discuss the faith and also if they are experiencing difficulties from their family and/or friends because of Rasta.

www.rastaites.com – Excellent site. Includes a Rasta news section and also biographies on Haile Selassie and Empress Menen.

www.bobocongress.com and http://houseofbobo.com – I don’t have much experience with these two links, seeing as I am white. However, they do appear to be great source of information on the Bobo Dreads.

www.earthcultureroots.com – Another excellent site. Includes resources such as a FAQ, a guide to i-tal diets, and wise quotes and proverbs.

There are also several MSN groups which I can list if you would like.

JAH Bless
CanuckRasta