• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rasta and Racisms and Dreads and Hate

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Of all the religions I've studied and grazed over, this is the first time I have grazed the Rasta movement. I felt I should give this some time, because I'm a white girl with dreads. It was brought to my attention that this could be offensive to some Rastas. This of course, sounded ridiculous to me, however, I'm giving this it's due thought and attention.

Firstly, I dreaded my hair because my stinkin hair wanted to be in stinkin dreads. I tried every girl trick in the book. It knotted up, ridiculously. Additionally, dreads in my understanding belong to nature. It is what naturally happens when a comb is not used for extended periods. Dreads were around long before the Rasta movement, although I do acknowledge their connection to the Leviticus "don't cut your hair" bit, and the spiritual "energy in your hair" bit. I also have simply always thought they looked cool.

Now second, I looked up Rastafarianism. I'm understanding that it originated in the 1930's from a time of native Jamaicans being oppressed by whites. One of the original leaders actually taught hate against white people (understandably). Throughout there is a definite theme I see of reverse racism. This is once again understandable, however, with Bob Marley popularizing the Rasta way of life and look, in turn, white people have pretty much stole it.

I completely understand how much of a slap in the face this could be percieved as. I actually saw one Rasta on Facebook reply to the discussion regarding this and say, "yeah they steal everything, even our hair."

Now the thing is, I have many white friends who proclaim to follow the Rasta way of life. THAT, to me I do not understand, and would seem to me to be more of an insult than using a hairstyle... which I would really percieve as a compliment.

How do Rastas see white skinned folk who proclaim to be Rastas? Do you think the majority of them even know this history? Is it similar to whites joining in Native American spirituality and leaving behind their traditions? Is this offensive? And am I understanding this correctly? I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
From when I was looking around at different faiths, I came across Rastafarianism. Seems to be a reactionary movement during the time of oppression by whites.

Despite criticism for the actual theology, I simply would not be one because I am white. I think it would be insulting to Jamaicans. It seems that most whites who claim to be rasta don't know much of the history and faith, and are doing it as part of a trend. Something which can be seen amongst the youth of urban blacks when it comes to Islam.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
From when I was looking around at different faiths, I came across Rastafarianism. Seems to be a reactionary movement during the time of oppression by whites.

Despite criticism for the actual theology, I simply would not be one because I am white. I think it would be insulting to Jamaicans. It seems that most whites who claim to be rasta don't know much of the history and faith, and are doing it as part of a trend. Something which can be seen amongst the youth of urban blacks when it comes to Islam.

Thank you !!! That's what I was thinking! I have a few friends that are all about rastafarianism and I want to call them up and be like aye... so what the hell? Do you really understand this? I'm just not totally sure I'm not missing something here.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Hm. I just found this via

BBC - Religions - Rastafari: Beliefs about race

The Black person is the reincarnation of ancient Israel, who at the hand of the White person has been in exile in Jamaica.

Rastafarians regard themselves as the genuine Israelites.
They believe they have been persecuted by white people and the form of this punishment is their subordinate position as the slaves of whites. This persecution resulted in their expulsion from 'Ethiopia' to Jamaica, but they believe they will eventually be returned to 'Ethiopia'.
The Rastafari belief that they are the authentic Israelites is mirrored in their adherence to Old Testament laws. Below is the Rastafari ten point moral code, the first two points of which reflect Old Testament laws.
Whilst most Rastafarians take the code literally, others will accept and follow a number of the rules listed but ignore others.
  1. No sharp implements to be used to damage Man, for example no trimming or shaving, no tattooing of the skin or cutting of the flesh.
    • As foretold in Leviticus 21:5: "They shall not make baldness upon their heads, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their flesh."
  2. Vegetarianism: Rastafarians use as little animal flesh as possible. They avoid eating pig flesh, shellfish, scaleless fish or snails, etc.
  3. Worship and recognise no God other than Haile Selassie, and reject pagan beliefs, without disrespecting believers.
  4. Love all mankind, but make one's first love the sons of Ham.
  5. Condemn hate, jealousy, envy, deceit, craftiness, treachery, etc.
  6. Oppose the pleasures of modern day society.
  7. Create a world of one brotherhood.
  8. Be charitable to any afflicted Rastafarian brother, and latterly to any other human, animal, plant, etc.
  9. Adhere to the ancient laws of Ethiopia.
  10. Do not accept aid, titles or possessions that the enemy might impart upon you, in fear. One's main purpose is to uphold Rastafari.
(List taken from Leonard Barrett, The Rastafarians: The Dreadlocks of Jamaica, page 104.)
The White person is inferior to the Black person

This notion emerged largely from Marcus Garvey's theories and ideas in the early development of Rastafari.
For some Rastafarians it remains a strongly held belief, whereas others do not take it literally.
Today there is an increasing number of White Rastafarians so beliefs like this are no longer taken so literally.
Leonard Barrett says that Rastafarians who still stand by this belief are not anti-white, although whites are regarded as persecutors by many Rastafarians.
Rastafarians do not consider all white people to be evil.
In the near future Blacks shall rule the world

Many Rastafarians believe that following their repatriation to Africa black people will become rulers of the world, resulting in the suppression of whites. Early Rastafarians may even have claimed that whites would eventually be destroyed.
For Rastafarians this period will mark the beginning of a new world, in which Blacks are respected. Many Rastafarians believe this is how the world would have been, but for the behaviour of corrupt whites.
Modern developments mean that many Rastafarians now dispute this belief and promote the multi-racial appeal of Rastafari.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Yeah, I think a white rastafarian would be equal to a white NOI'r.

I would be interested in hearing from a White Rastafarian though.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
In all religions there are those who use God to justify their agenda.
And then there are those who justify God with their agenda.

Rastafari is no different.

I think the history is important.
People gotta respect roots and understand where things come from.

That goes for all religion as well... and all things....

My people's name came from England as slaves in 1680, to Barbados, where they lived for two generations before coming to the mainland colonies and settling in the hills on the edge of the colonies in western Pennsylvania.

A long time ago a friend from the Caribbean told me to know more about this.
I did.

What I learned is that my people didn't settle.
And weren't told what their religion was going to be.
They were exiled as criminals.
Sent to work off their debt.

They paid a price for their freedom.
But were set free into the New World, a world full of New Kings.

Rastafari is most certainly about black liberation on one face,
But it's about liberation in some many other ways.

I've been taught that it's the colour of a person's heart that makes them a Rasta,
not the colour of their skin or how they keep their hair.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
If I may?

My wife's aunt's brother is a Rasta; his view is that blackness and whiteness do not refer to a person's skin, but heart.

In the way the Anglophones would say "he has a black heart", the Rastas say "he has a white heart". It is not referring to the actual colour, but the idea. In the West, black is traditionally (generally; Ancient Celts, it was red) seen as the colour of death; but for many in Africa and even in the Far East it is the colour white: white is seen as the appropriate colour to wear at funerals, for example. Even some Slavic cultures see white as the colour of death. Think of ghosts, or "you look as white as a ghost".

The reasoning behind both:

Black: darkness, underground, night time, etc.
White: pale with illness, the bleaching of bones in the sun, etc.

So in that way, yes, white (opponents of God) did evict the black (servants of God) from Israel (the land of God) and in the future, the white will be won by black, who shall rule the world: this isn't based upon one's race, but one's virtues; so it's the virtuous shall reign in the future, not the wicked or corrupt -- you can have white skin but have a black heart, or you can have black skin and a white heart.