• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raspberry Pi 4 released

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I also gave my impressions on the Pi 3B+ awhile back:

I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 3b+.

I think the Raspberry Pi 3B+ is a great device. All the accessories you need to get started does add up in cost. For light general usage, it is quite fast, it seems to use specialized OS code after all that is more streamlined than Windows or Ubuntu x86/x64. For things which require raw horsepower, like photo editing, it leads some to be desired. Also, the more inexpensive Power Supplies do sometimes decrease performance compared to the correct one of a good quality. The device took me 10 minutes to assemble.

My rating:

Features: 10/10

You have to love the amount of accessories, community support, and just how well the Operating Systems generally work on this thing.

Performance: 6/10

Great for web browsing, not great for editing photos beyond I don't know, 1 megapixel, with complex algorithms

Gaming: 5.5/10

Your gaming options are a bit limited compared to a Personal Computer

Applications: 7/10

Great for becoming a beginner programmer!

Overall: 8/10

Cost me:

Pi: $35

Case: $8

32GB memory card: $8 - even though I'd spring for the 64GB in retrospect, costing I don't know, $15?

Power supply: $8

Mini Pi keyboard: $13

HDMI cable: $7

Price: $78+

--AT-AT

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The Odroid H2 is powerful enough to successfully emulate GameCube/Wii games from what I'm hearing, if one wished to ever go that route.

The con of it is that it will cost a small fortune. It uses a Gemini Lake quad core and you have to buy your own compatible memories to fit in it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm thinking about doing something pretty crazy. It's rather than buy a new $700-900 PC like I was planning on, buying one of these, saving some money, and putting a lot of time and energy into it. There's really no comparison which is better, the PC, but you can customize your OS on the Pi, you have great community support, just fantastic even. And I might watercool it. Maybe. If this means waiting a month or more for things to be sorted out where the parts necessary exist to watercool it, so be it.

Looking over info, it seems a bigger upgrade one can do if running it as a desktop, is utilizing a SSD.