• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rasam

Maya3

I bought Rasam spice yesterday.
When I make Rasam soup, should I still use other spices plus Rasam?
Or is Rasam enough on its own?

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just use the rasam itself, as it is a mixture, I presume, like any other masala. Pink dal, tomatoes, topped with fresh coriander/cilantro. It'll warm you up.

Is there a recipe on the outside of the box. I've also see people add a few fried mustard seeds though.

Maya3

Thank you, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I'm not at home now so I can't see what it says on the package.

Maya

Shuddhasattva

To taste. Personally, I love rasam - but I can't stand sambar which is built up from the rasam broth (I think.) I'd say start with plain rasam and go from there.

Last edited:

Maya3

To taste. Personally, I love rasam - but I can't stand sambar which is built up from the rasam broth (I think.) I'd say start with plain rasam and go from there.

Yum, but I bought both Sambar and Rasam!
I'm going to have to make one of each :)

Thank you, I'll try the plain Rasam first.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vannakkam: Sambar is a ton thicker, more like a spicy lentil thick soup, whereas rasam is mostly liquid. Some people drink it or serve it in a cup, the way you'd serve coffee. Sambar can have all kinds of vegetables, like potatoes, eggplant, daikon, cauliflour, etc. Much more of a lentil/vegetable thick soup or stew. You probably had sambar with dosas. as its a traditional combination. I'm hungry.

Maya3

Oh God, I want somethIng spicy too now, but we are in NJ and we don't have the same spice cabinet here :( we have some though so I can make something later.

Jaynaryan, are you fasting today?
Have a missed a holiday?

I don't fast either. I can't.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This'll make the hunger worse..
images

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I never fast. (At least not recently) I get migraines. I do cut down occasionally. Boss will be more or less fasting today as she's doing to pradosha tonight.

It's the thought that counts.

Fasting is among the myriad things that can trigger migraines. At least you know what trigger yours. I get ocular migraines, usually around 1 pm, or around 6-7 pm. :shrug:

Being an EOB (Equal Opportunity Bhakta) I'm fasting for pradosham; yesterday I fasted for ekadashi. Yeah, I know... fruit, water and yogurt for 48 hours. I'll add the Lingashtakam and Durgashtakam to my sadhana tonight. I would have gone to temple for the Sri Rudrabhishekam tonight (every Monday anyway), except I had p.t. on my shoulder. :rolleyes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not hard ... boil water, add a couple of tablespoons of pink dal (It has a real name, but I forget :) ) ... the pink lentils available in any store, not just Indian ones.

When water boils and dal is partially cooked, throw in a couple of tablespoons of the rasam mix, meanwhile chop some tomata, about one will do. When the dal is finished cooking thrown in the tomatoes, let simmer for maybe 3 minutes, then at the very end add the chopped cilantro as a topping.

There are lots of variations, and I'm sure somebody familiar with another way will come on and tell me I'm wrong ... (Please come, whomever you are, I need the karma coming back.) but this one is incredibly simple.

Here's some dals with pictures too ... http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html

Maya3

Not hard ... boil water, add a couple of tablespoons of pink dal (It has a real name, but I forget :) ) ... the pink lentils available in any store, not just Indian ones.

When water boils and dal is partially cooked, throw in a couple of tablespoons of the rasam mix, meanwhile chop some tomata, about one will do. When the dal is finished cooking thrown in the tomatoes, let simmer for maybe 3 minutes, then at the very end add the chopped cilantro as a topping.

There are lots of variations, and I'm sure somebody familiar with another way will come on and tell me I'm wrong ... (Please come, whomever you are, I need the karma coming back.) but this one is incredibly simple.

Here's some dals with pictures too ... Cook's Thesaurus: Lentils

Yum! Thank you!
I will let you know how it comes out. I'll even post a picture. How would I do that?

Maya

Maya3

It was delicious, but not spicy enough. I felt scared of putting in too much Rasam. It was yummy, but I love it real spicy.
Next time I'll put in the table spoons!

Maya