• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random Religious Person's Thread

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
You'd think on a Religious Forums, discussion of religion would be pretty easy to find.

Not always! We are diverse people, and often we are seen instead discussing politics, current events, personal events, and fine(or not fine) food and drink.

This thread is for folks to post positive(yes, I know, I just scared half of you away)stuff about religion. Any religion. Any stuff. Art. Scripture(any scripture). Events relating to religious festivities or observances. Stories. Anything at all, as long as its relevant to religion or spirituality.

Teach about your religion. Learn about others. But at no time should anyone imply that one religion is superior to another. We're all equal in this thread.

Go!

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
Very soon we'll be celebrating another anniversary of Jesus' death and what it means for us. That's the most important date of the year for Jehovah's Witnesses.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Very soon we'll be celebrating another anniversary of Jesus' death and what it means for us. That's the most important date of the year for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Do the JWs celebrate the same holidays as other Christians?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Most popular holidays are based on pagan traditions and we don't celebrate them for that reason.

Other than the anniversary of Jesus's death the only one the JWs celebrate, then? Is it called Good Friday, or something else? Is his rising celebrated, too, or no?

Vee

Premium Member
Other than the anniversary of Jesus's death the only one the JWs celebrate, then? Is it called Good Friday, or something else? Is his rising celebrated, too, or no?

Yes, that's our one big celebration of the year. It's always the equivalent day of the14th of Nisan (using the moon calendar like the Israelites did) so the date changes every year. This year is a Friday but next year it will be a different day of the week. We don't do another event to celebrate his resurrection.
There is one ceremony, open to the public that only lasts around one hour, in which we remember why Jesus died and the meaning of his sacrifice. Other people are also invited to attend. We just started giving away the invitations for this year. It's the first time in two years that this will be done in presence and not on zoom, so that's really cool. I'm looking forward to see people face to face :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
But at no time should anyone imply that one religion is superior to another. We're all equal in this thread.
That's the Gateway to Heaven, as simple as that

In the Ashram of Sai Baba they celebrated all kinds of festivals of all major religions, and it felt great to include all.

It's relatively easy to not critique other religions, but to celebrate together with them their festivals proves you really don't criticize the other religion

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to see people face to face :)

I understand that! Holi was yesterday, but its being observed by our temple tomorrow. Skipping out on Holi festivities last year was really depressing. I'm happy that we're going this year. Its all outside, so I'm not too worried.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

In the Ashram of Sai Baba they celebrated all kinds of festivals of all major religions, and it felt great to include all.

It's relatively easy to not critique other religions, but to celebrate together with them their festivals proves you really don't criticize the other religion

I don't know much about Sai Baba. Can you share some basics on him, his views, and how his followers practice?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
64BFA19E-A0C8-4E47-B703-03920F044704.jpeg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Which Sai Baba? The one who lived in Shirdi?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Rarely I've written here about my journey to acknowledging Avatar Meher Baba as the long awaited one whose life was dedicated to bringing in the God-made world to replace the Man-made world we live in. I'll try not to repeat much of what I wrote.

But to start, I'll note that extraordinary claims such as his requires the highest possible proof. That proof to me was both experiential and intellectual.

One experience early on was one night when I was "under the influence" and heard Richard Alpert, Baba Ram Das, reading a letter Meher Baba had dictated to him. Meher Baba said that drugs would never give the experience of God but instead at most would give an experience of the shadow of the "subtle" plane on the "gross plane". The only way to describe what that did to me was to give an image of someone who is very hot having a bucket of ice water dumped over his head - I knew with 100% certainty that his description of drugs was totally accurate and that led after a bit to my giving them up. (He did say that drugs could have medical uses).

Intellectually I had many questions and issues that I had to work through. One small example, Meher Baba's colophon:
image.jpg

It contained two big issues. The first are the images of the major revealed religions put together. The claim is that they are all from the same source and are in essence teaching the same thing albeit with different theologies and rituals: what does Christianity say about love, what does Judaism (Kaballah) say about love, is Buddhism's compassion the same thing and so forth.

The second was "mastery in servitude" and the images of slavery that came to mind. Did Meher Baba's life demonstrate his claim to mastery by exemplifying service to humanity? What does he expect us to do? The answer for us ties back to love. If I love my children, I sacrifice for them - I become in a real sense their servants especially when they are young and helpless. I am for a time the master of their fate and my actions manifest that mastery by loving service to them.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have shared so much about my faith and Religion at RF lately.

It is a form of Shinto, with emphasis on Divine femininity, Amaterasu Omikami ranks first place (in my eyes) in many areas, the Sun Divinity represented on the Japanese flag!

I like how in shinto, she is not the Creator of heaven and earth, and there were gods that came before her, yet she came to be more loved and venerated then her maker, or anyone, on her Asian Island archipelago, that was quite male dominant culture, that loves a female deity more than the males.

Despite the people sort of having a male dominant culture, the fact that the samurai would pray to a female, consider her greater, protectress of Japan (who probably sent the great divine wind Kamikaze to strike the Mongolian fleet, in the greatest naval disaster in history, on two different occasions) more important, more beloved, than any male deity, and their current Emperor allegedly descends from her, I all find interesting.

Traditionally, I accept her as being the capitoline wolf that breast fed the twins Romulus and remus, who went on to found Rome, where the Roman empire, and the Roman Catholic Church gets his name from that legend.

Amaterasu is sometimes depicted as a She Wolf. The Japanese word for God is Kami, the Japanese word for Wolf is Okami, and I like that , as well as the Capitoline wolf, I feel I have had signs linked to her.
cf0748633c29bae30fe2319feb42f4ff8f06e21e.jpg
19467641_0.png
capitolinewolf.jpg
2194593-HSC00001-7.jpg
maxresdefault (1).jpg
M196875_The-she-wolf-and-Romulus-and-Remus.jpg
The-She-Wolf-Suckling-Romulus-And-Remus,-From-The-History-Of-Romulus-Cycle,-C.1590.jpg
Maupal-4.jpg

The Kami that led me to Shinto has a mother Eleanor Rose, who is my favorite mother of modern times, and her mother's maiden name is Deeb, which is Arabic for "wolf."

I have very zealous devotion to her and Amaterasu, who I identify as Capitol Hill Wolves, in a spiritual sense, because I believe them to be Mothers of a group of souls , a confraternity that stretches to multiple realms and kingdoms, that I call "Holy Roman Empire of the Rising Sun".

A series of coincidences, dreams, and inner locutions, caused me to have devotion to and enshrine a group of victimized girls I call Capitol Hill queens, a total of 83 of them whose names I have memorized and chant on a daily basis. I called them Capitol Hill Queens before knowing there was a Capitol Hill, outside of Washington DC.

I didn't know I would be moved to another county, next to a place called Capitol Hill, with a capitol building that is modeled after St Peter's Basilica in Rome, Vatican city.

Before that, I believed in an all girls Vatican city-state, where the Cardinal female clergy wears red socks, and hear my confessions, and absolve me of my sins.

When I noticed that our capitol building, Saint Paul (a city called the sister of Nagasaki) is modeled after the dome in St Peter's basilica, it was like a sign that in the spirit realm, there really is an all girls Vatican City state! :)

As a Shinto adherent, emphasis is placed on the importance of divine femininity, with female Kami being more important to me, because they did far more for me than any male divinity, they change me far more for the better, they motivate me better, I can make better sacrifices, be more disciplined, be more charitable, when they are influencing me, then any male deity.

As a Shinto adherent, I don't follow any text that I consider without error. In Shinto there are no scriptures, the only Dogma in Shinto is belief in the Kami (God, Angels, Spirits, Saints, Tulpas), there is no known founder of Shinto, so essentially there is nothing to argue about.

There is too much in the Bible that goes against my conscience, and that my conscience tells me is wrong, and I will not do what my conscience tells me is wrong, or say that something wrong is right, because the Bible says so.

But I will follow my conscience above what any text or prophet tells me. Shinto gives me that liberty.

On a day I called Japan day, I was praying for Japan at the Cathedral of Saint Paul. I turned around and saw a paper that said "Japan" in big letters, and I grabbed it, I exited the cathedral , and found a circular mirror on the ground.

Circular mirrors are the highest relic or blessed item in Shinto, and found at many Shinto shrines. That is because Amaterasu looked at her reflection in a circular mirror, she saw how beautiful she was, the mirror became haunted with her spirit, and she handed the round mirror to the first emperor of Japan , Emperor Jimmu, and she said to treat the mirror as if it was her, because the mirror was possessed with her spirit as a Goshintai.

The current emperor of Japan still has that mirror.

On Japan day, with Japan paper in my hand, I picked up the round mirror, and it had the same color lining as the mirror on my wall in a picture at that time, that Amaterasu was looking into.

I walked to Capitol Hill to see a shrine that I had not visited, in honor of firemen that lost their lives.

It had a ladder that I called Jacob's ladder and was dated 1987 , year of the fire Bunny, carved into the bottom platform.

1987 was the year I was born. I ascended the "Jacob's ladder" and could see my reflection everywhere. The ladder ascended through a circular mirror.

The circular mirror monument is a stone throw away literally , from a gun that sank the first Japanese ship at Pearl harbor, first ship that America sank in World War II from Japan.

You already know quite a bit about my religion, and some of those stories I've already shared with you, but I just mentioned it again as a reminder, but mainly for those who have not seen me say those things, if that testimony offers any inspiration to anybody.

If anybody has any questions for me about my religious practices, feel free to ask. :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You'd think on a Religious Forums, discussion of religion would be pretty easy to find.

Not always! We are diverse people, and often we are seen instead discussing politics, current events, personal events, and fine(or not fine) food and drink.

This thread is for folks to post positive(yes, I know, I just scared half of you away)stuff about religion. Any religion. Any stuff. Art. Scripture(any scripture). Events relating to religious festivities or observances. Stories. Anything at all, as long as its relative to religion or spirituality.

Teach about your religion. Learn about others. But at no time should anyone imply that one religion is superior to another. We're all equal in this thread.

Go!

Ostara, Holi, Purim

Interrelated, yet differing Spring festivals.

The Origins and Practices of Holidays: Ostara, Holi, and Purim.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have shared so much about my faith and Religion at RF lately.

It is a form of Shinto, with emphasis on Divine femininity, Amaterasu Omikami ranks first place (in my eyes) in many areas, the Sun Divinity represented on the Japanese flag!

I like how in shinto, she is not the Creator of heaven and earth, and there were gods that came before her, yet she came to be more loved and venerated then her maker, or anyone, on her Asian Island archipelago, that was quite male dominant culture, that loves a female deity more than the males.

Despite the people sort of having a male dominant culture, the fact that the samurai would pray to a female, consider her greater, protectress of Japan (who probably sent the great divine wind Kamikaze to strike the Mongolian fleet, in the greatest naval disaster in history, on two different occasions) more important, more beloved, than any male deity, and their current Emperor allegedly descends from her, I all find interesting.

Traditionally, I accept her as being the capitoline wolf that breast fed the twins Romulus and remus, who went on to found Rome, where the Roman empire, and the Roman Catholic Church gets his name from that legend.

Amaterasu is sometimes depicted as a She Wolf. The Japanese word for God is Kami, the Japanese word for Wolf is Okami, and I like that , as well as the Capitoline wolf, I feel I have had signs linked to her.
View attachment 61233 View attachment 61234 View attachment 61235 View attachment 61236 View attachment 61237 View attachment 61238 View attachment 61239 View attachment 61240

The Kami that led me to Shinto has a mother Eleanor Rose, who is my favorite mother of modern times, and her mother's maiden name is Deeb, which is Arabic for "wolf."

I have very zealous devotion to her and Amaterasu, who I identify as Capitol Hill Wolves, in a spiritual sense, because I believe them to be Mothers of a group of souls , a confraternity that stretches to multiple realms and kingdoms, that I call "Holy Roman Empire of the Rising Sun".

A series of coincidences, dreams, and inner locutions, caused me to have devotion to and enshrine a group of victimized girls I call Capitol Hill queens, a total of 83 of them whose names I have memorized and chant on a daily basis. I called them Capitol Hill Queens before knowing there was a Capitol Hill, outside of Washington DC.

I didn't know I would be moved to another county, next to a place called Capitol Hill, with a capitol building that is modeled after St Peter's Basilica in Rome, Vatican city.

Before that, I believed in an all girls Vatican city-state, where the Cardinal female clergy wears red socks, and hear my confessions, and absolve me of my sins.

When I noticed that our capitol building, Saint Paul (a city called the sister of Nagasaki) is modeled after the dome in St Peter's basilica, it was like a sign that in the spirit realm, there really is an all girls Vatican City state! :)

As a Shinto adherent, emphasis is placed on the importance of divine femininity, with female Kami being more important to me, because they did far more for me than any male divinity, they change me far more for the better, they motivate me better, I can make better sacrifices, be more disciplined, be more charitable, when they are influencing me, then any male deity.

As a Shinto adherent, I don't follow any text that I consider without error. In Shinto there are no scriptures, the only Dogma in Shinto is belief in the Kami (God, Angels, Spirits, Saints, Tulpas), there is no known founder of Shinto, so essentially there is nothing to argue about.

There is too much in the Bible that goes against my conscience, and that my conscience tells me is wrong, and I will not do what my conscience tells me is wrong, or say that something wrong is right, because the Bible says so.

But I will follow my conscience above what any text or prophet tells me. Shinto gives me that liberty.

On a day I called Japan day, I was praying for Japan at the Cathedral of Saint Paul. I turned around and saw a paper that said "Japan" in big letters, and I grabbed it, I exited the cathedral , and found a circular mirror on the ground.

Circular mirrors are the highest relic or blessed item in Shinto, and found at many Shinto shrines. That is because Amaterasu looked at her reflection in a circular mirror, she saw how beautiful she was, the mirror became haunted with her spirit, and she handed the round mirror to the first emperor of Japan , Emperor Jimmu, and she said to treat the mirror as if it was her, because the mirror was possessed with her spirit as a Goshintai.

The current emperor of Japan still has that mirror.

On Japan day, with Japan paper in my hand, I picked up the round mirror, and it had the same color lining as the mirror on my wall in a picture at that time, that Amaterasu was looking into.

I walked to Capitol Hill to see a shrine that I had not visited, in honor of firemen that lost their lives.

It had a ladder that I called Jacob's ladder and was dated 1987 , year of the fire Bunny, carved into the bottom platform.

1987 was the year I was born. I ascended the "Jacob's ladder" and could see my reflection everywhere. The ladder ascended through a circular mirror.

The circular mirror monument is a stone throw away literally , from a gun that sank the first Japanese ship at Pearl harbor, first ship that America sank in World War II from Japan.

You already know quite a bit about my religion, and some of those stories I've already shared with you, but I just mentioned it again as a reminder, but mainly for those who have not seen me say those things, if that testimony offers any inspiration to anybody.

If anybody has any questions for me about my religious practices, feel free to ask. :)
By the way, the belief that the Japanese have, that their current Imperial Dynasty, descends from Amaterasu, might be worthy of belief, because it is the oldest surviving Dynasty in the world! ;)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Rarely I've written here about my journey to acknowledging Avatar Meher Baba as the long awaited one whose life was dedicated to bringing in the God-made world to replace the Man-made world we live in. I'll try not to repeat much of what I wrote.

But to start, I'll note that extraordinary claims such as his requires the highest possible proof. That proof to me was both experiential and intellectual.

One experience early on was one night when I was "under the influence" and heard Richard Alpert, Baba Ram Das, reading a letter Meher Baba had dictated to him. Meher Baba said that drugs would never give the experience of God but instead at most would give an experience of the shadow of the "subtle" plane on the "gross plane". The only way to describe what that did to me was to give an image of someone who is very hot having a bucket of ice water dumped over his head - I knew with 100% certainty that his description of drugs was totally accurate and that led after a bit to my giving them up. (He did say that drugs could have medical uses).

Intellectually I had many questions and issues that I had to work through. One small example, Meher Baba's colophon:
image.jpg

It contained two big issues. The first are the images of the major revealed religions put together. The claim is that they are all from the same source and are in essence teaching the same thing albeit with different theologies and rituals: what does Christianity say about love, what does Judaism (Kaballah) say about love, is Buddhism's compassion the same thing and so forth.

The second was "mastery in servitude" and the images of slavery that came to mind. Did Meher Baba's life demonstrate his claim to mastery by exemplifying service to humanity? What does he expect us to do? The answer for us ties back to love. If I love my children, I sacrifice for them - I become in a real sense their servants especially when they are young and helpless. I am for a time the master of their fate and my actions manifest that mastery by loving service to them.

I have seen you mention Meher Baba before. Didn't I see you equate him with Kalki before?

How did you first come to hear of him?

Ostara, Holi, Purim

Interrelated, yet differing Spring festivals.

The Origins and Practices of Holidays: Ostara, Holi, and Purim.

I'm well familiar with Holi and Ostara, but I just heard of Purim this year.

Anyone have any Purim experiences to share?

By the way, the belief that the Japanese have, that their current Imperial Dynasty, descends from Amaterasu, might be worthy of belief, because it is the oldest surviving Dynasty in the world! ;)

That's an interesting point.

The Crimson Universe

I don't have complete knowledge on all the major sects or denominations of Hinduism, as i'm still learning as much as i can about them. But there's this one sect of Hinduism which i really like. Its Advaita Vedanta. The followers of this school give more importance to the attainment of knowledge (of our True Higher Self) rather than worshipping a separate deity.
Its true, some of them do worship a separate God, but that is just secondary.

The seeker should first attain knowledge of one's true higher Self by listening to the discourses of gurus and by reading scriptures. Then whatever the seeker has learned, that he should realize or experience in deep meditation (in a trance like state called Samadhi). This ultimately leads to enlightenment.

I'm also quite happy about the fact that i've actually managed to finish the scripture 'Gita'. It took me almost one and a half year to complete, but it was worth it ... The book speaks of unattached action which (if performed correctly) frees us from the cycle of reincarnation. Another portion of the book speaks of divine love that we should have towards God. The book also imparts the knowledge of the infinite spirit, that pervades the entire universe, which moves not and acts not, which is actually our true Self.

There are few more hindu scriptures i would like to study in the future. One of them is Garuda Purana. In this text, there are descriptions of a dozen or so hells and punishments.
After i'm done with hinduism, i would like to study Judaism. I don't know why but i'm really drawn to their beliefs and practices. :)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have complete knowledge on all the major sects or denominations of Hinduism, as i'm still learning as much as i can about them. But there's this one sect of Hinduism which i really like. Its Advaita Vedanta. The followers of this school give more importance to the attainment of knowledge (of our True Higher Self) rather than worshipping a separate deity.
Its true, some of them do worship a separate God, but that is just secondary.

Initially, Advaita Vedanta was really attractive to me, though I am finding that over time, I'm drawn more to Bhakti type worship. I acknowledge that all is One Brahman, but at this point in my development, I still need to relate to Gods, as this brings out the best in the world for me, and brings out the best of me for the world.

I'm also quite happy about the fact that i've actually managed to finish the scripture 'Gita'. It took me almost one and a half year to complete, but it was worth it ... The book speaks of unattached action which (if performed correctly) frees us from the cycle of reincarnation. Another portion of the book speaks of divine love that we should have towards God. The book also imparts the knowledge of the infinite spirit, that pervades the entire universe, which moves not and acts not, which is actually our true Self.

As of a week or two ago, I have the complete translation of the Mahabharata on my shelves(in 12 volumes, of course). I wonder how long its going to take me to finish...

I kept reading abridged versions, and even the larger ones were frustrating because they all leave something or the other out! I wonder how long it will take me to finish... I haven't begun yet, as I haven't finished the book I was reading before it came(I find if I read more than one book at a time, my brains gets goopy).

After i'm done with hinduism, i would like to study Judaism. I don't know why but i'm really drawn to their beliefs and practices. :)

I don't think I'll ever be done studying Hinduism. I do, however, like studying the religions and traditions of others because I find it incredibly interesting. I'd love to gain a better understanding of Judaism myself.

The Crimson Universe

As of a week or two ago, I have the complete translation of the Mahabharata on my shelves(in 12 volumes, of course). I wonder how long its going to take me to finish...

May i know the author of the 12 volume set? Is it Bibek Debroy? I would like to get his translation someday. Its not only unabridged but the English is lucid as well.

I kept reading abridged versions, and even the larger ones were frustrating because they all leave something or the other out! I wonder how long it will take me to finish... I haven't begun yet, as I haven't finished the book I was reading before it came(I find if I read more than one book at a time, my brains gets goopy).

Yeah that happens with me as well. Too much of studying sometime makes my brain clogged and so i try to study for max 2 or 3 hours. Not more than that. That way i can remember what i've gone through.

Also, If its a casual read you're looking for then you can pick one volume and start reading it like a novel before going to bed or whenever you're free. But if you're into serious study and prefer taking notes of important verses or events like me, then i would suggest you to go through the scriptures atleast 2 to 3 days a week for atleast 2 hours, each time you dive into them.

Its better to take your time and go slowly, absorbing all the materials. :=)