• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rand Paul - a 'true' libertarian?

Sultan Of Swing

Is Rand Paul a libertarian in your opinion? I know he isn't as libertarian as his father, but can he be called libertarian in his own right? Or perhaps libertarian-leaning as I could consider myself.

If he wins the Republican nomination and is running for President, would you vote for him?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is Rand Paul a libertarian in your opinion? I know he isn't as libertarian as his father, but can he be called libertarian in his own right? Or perhaps libertarian-leaning as I could consider myself.

If he wins the Republican nomination and is running for President, would you vote for him?
I consider him a conservative who leans libertarian. I'd have to know some more about his agendas before I'd commit to voting for him. I'm concerned specifically with his views on social libertarianism & foreign adventurism.

Sultan Of Swing

I consider him a conservative who leans libertarian. I'd have to know some more about his agendas before I'd commit to voting for him. I'm concerned specifically with his views on social libertarianism & foreign adventurism.
Would you consider his father a libertarian or also a libertarian-leaning conservative?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would you consider his father a libertarian or also a libertarian-leaning conservative?
He struck me as a conservative leaning libertarian. But this is a very murky distinction, so don't put much stock in me opinions & judgement of people.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Rand Paul is quite inconsistent at times with his "libertarian" claims, but then he is a politician. Hey, at least he speaks his mind, and I really do agree with him at times. [did I really just say that?:rolleyes:]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rand Paul is quite inconsistent at times with his "libertarian" claims, but then he is a politician. Hey, at least he speaks his mind, and I really do agree with him at times. [did I really just say that?:rolleyes:]
You are a libertarian now?
Whooda thunk it? Well...welcome aboard!
Are ya gonna start supporting gun rights, small government, low taxes & free markets now?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I don't care THAT much about the label... He's smart enough. Real, real, real smart. I like him.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Oh oh...

Rand Paul, might, probably, ... just did a big boo boo in my opinion that could hurt his campaign in a big way if this thing makes it to Fox News and other outlets.

I cannot make full sense out of it, BUT AFTER TODAY'S TERRORIST ATTACK BY ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS in Paris to kill those authors of some satire based magazine for having funny cartoons depicting Allah and muslims and such, Paul was.asked about this intolerant attack on freedom of the press and speech, and he replied:

"But in the context of things, France has been a target for many, many years, because they’ve been involved in foreign affairs in Libya, and they really prodded us along in — recently in Libya, but they’ve been involved in Algeria, so they’ve had attacks like this, you know, not infrequently. So, it does involve, you know, their foreign policy as well. When people do this, you know, the rejection of the violence has to be made, and with that I agree.”

“I put blame on bad policy that we don’t fully understand, and we don’t understand what they’re doing because the people who are objecting to the foreign policy that we pursue, they do it from a different perspective,” Paul added. “They see us as attacking them, and killing innocent people, so yes, they, they have — this doesn’t justify, so don’t put those words in my mouth — it doesn’t justify, but it explains it.”

uhhh .. ok, the foreign intanglement thing, fine, but these murders of these authors isn't really about that, this is about those crazy muslim.extremists who do not want to allow ANYONE to print a joke about Allah or cartoons in satire on the penalty of death, it doesn't matter which country, it could have been authors in Switzerland or Tonga, don't matter folks, the extremists are going to go berzerker but.we cannot.allow them to dictate to us our cartoons or free speech like this ...

man... I think Paul just blew it... yeah ok the foreign entanglement thing, but it won't look square and it doesn't fit into the box, sorry but this was real dumb and it wasn't the.right circumstances or time to say this with 12 dead bodies at the hands of barbarians...

... man. Not good. Bad play. Dumb. May sink him. And he was jabbering and sort of like "opps ... did I just say that" ya know, ya know. Oh god.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I'd consider both he and his father to be (L)ibertarian-leaning Republicans.
Emphasis on the Republican.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
No, Rand Paul isn't a real libertarian. He describes himself as a "libertarian conservative" or a "constitutioanl conservative", terms he uses interchangeably. He's maybe 60-70% libertarian, the rest conservative. I'd prefer that he stop pandering to social conservatives, though maybe he has to do that to get the nomination. But he's a lot closer to being a real libertarian than anyone else that we have a realistic shot at electing, and for me, that makes him good enough to vote for.

In some ways is libertarian(notice the little l,not big L) leaning, but is in fact a republican

and no, i will bnever vote GOP or Democrat