• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raise your hand if you went to church this weekend

Did you go somewhere for "Church"..?

• Yes, in fact I did

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, everything @Vinayaka said.

I try to go at least once or twice in a 7-10 day period. However, I do my own puja and aarti (worship) at home almost every day. Over the past few months I've gone to temple on Sunday mornings for the Śrī Gaṇeśa abhishekam (anointing and dressing of the Gaṇeśa mūrti (statue, idol, form), though not every week. I missed yesterday. My normal temple attendance is Thursday evenings for a Vishnu (Śrī Satyanārāyana) abhishekam, or other nights depending on my week. Hindus are free to go, or not, as we wish. There may be a puja or not. To go when it's quiet is conducive to personal quiet meditation and/or prayer, or just being in the temple.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I was just curious if anyone here attends Church meetings, Mass, synagogue, mosque, or whatever other word you use for religious group gatherings. I know some go on Saturdays and others on Sundays, so if you went, let everyone know.

Also, if you don't mind explaining, what was the most memorable experience you had while you were there.

Thanks.

I didn't go this Sunday but I love my local Unitarian Universalist church.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I went to a UU church awhile ago to check it out, and though the ideas are different it's still too Protestant for me to want to have anything to do with it.

I think it depends on the congregation. They used to be more Christian oriented but now they take from any faith or humanism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think it depends on the congregation. They used to be more Christian oriented but now they take from any faith or humanism.
This one had Wiccans, Kemmetics, a neo-Druid and others, but things were still done in a Protestant manner. It's hard to think of an accurate metaphor to make a comparison, because it isn't Christian, so it's more than just "under new management," but at the same time the "model" has enough Protestant-left overs that I didn't want to be rude and rush out because they were friendly, nice, and concerned about creating an open and welcoming atmosphere, but still I couldn't wait until it was over with. Similar enough, i suppose, to still hear and see those who abused me spiritually and emotionally.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
This one had Wiccans, Kemmetics, a neo-Druid and others, but things were still done in a Protestant manner. It's hard to think of an accurate metaphor to make a comparison, because it isn't Christian, so it's more than just "under new management," but at the same time the "model" has enough Protestant-left overs that I didn't want to be rude and rush out because they were friendly, nice, and concerned about creating an open and welcoming atmosphere, but still I couldn't wait until it was over with. Similar enough, i suppose, to still hear and see those who abused me spiritually and emotionally.

Oh gosh, that's terrible. Yeah, no one needs those similarities.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh gosh, that's terrible. Yeah, no one needs those similarities.
That is probably just me. The "order and way of doing things" isn't something that would normally have sometime wanting to leave. I just had an unusually bad experience with it all, and for all it's differences, to me, I still see the shadows of those who damaged me the most.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I was just curious if anyone here attends Church meetings, Mass, synagogue, mosque, or whatever other word you use for religious group gatherings. I know some go on Saturdays and others on Sundays, so if you went, let everyone know.

Also, if you don't mind explaining, what was the most memorable experience you had while you were there.

Thanks.

I do. However, this Sunday I slept in. I've had a nasty cough, and I was kinda feeling run-down so I just passed on the whole thing.

iam1me

Did not go- I haven’t gone regularly for years. I don’t see much point myself- they don’t teach anything I don’t know and they aren’t generally active in the community helping people. Most churches are little more than social clubs with frequent membership fees (tithe). Worst yet- there’s often a high concentration of idiot Trump supporters using the pulpit to spread their non-sense in contradiction to Christianity.

That said, I would gladly attend a good church if I could find one.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What happens to church buildings when people no longer attend and the buildings stay empty? They are sold. By whom? Who gets the money? Kind of makes you want to go to church now, doesn't it?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Does meditating in the woods count?
I say no, because gong to church means going into a small artificial box to seek something, in a contained environment, that is beyond containment. In the woods, that is a reflection of the much greater universe we live in, not something that is a testament to "our human will be done."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What happens to church buildings when people no longer attend and the buildings stay empty? They are sold. By whom? Who gets the money? Kind of makes you want to go to church now, doesn't it?
From my personal observations, some become craft/hobby stores, antique stores, daycares, civic/event center (if large enough), or are abandoned.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Raise your hand if you went to church this weekend
this is followed by "Did you go somewhere for Church"
finally we get

Wow considering this is in 'Interfaith Discussion' am I wrong in getting a sense of bias here. Get your language right landon
Sangha is part of Buddhism. Sangha and church are pretty much the same thing.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Thanks.

I've seen many healings/restorations at church services, from miraculous healings to relationships restored powerfully.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Right after taking the Eucharist, whereas our folk-group sang a song that put tears in my eyes because it deal with what led me back to the Church. I wish I could give you the name of the song, but part of the lyric is "You are in the air that I breathe, ...".

pearl

Right after taking the Eucharist, whereas our folk-group sang a song that put tears in my eyes because it deal with what led me back to the Church. I wish I could give you the name of the song, but part of the lyric is "You are in the air that I breathe, ...".

Brings back many fond memories. In the 'good ole days' our parish vigil Mass was a folk Mass, guitars, tambourines etc. I miss the simplicity of it.
Could this be the song you refer to?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Because I avoid the Sunday morning crowd, I was once asked by an acquaintance why I never go to temple any more. At the time I was going every other day but Sunday. Odd, how people are only aware of what they see.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Brings back many fond memories. In the 'good ole days' our parish vigil Mass was a folk Mass, guitars, tambourines etc. I miss the simplicity of it.
Could this be the song you refer to?
No, that's not it, but nevertheless what you posted above is beautiful! This Sunday I'll try and get the name of the song I mentioned.