• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raise your hand if you went to church this weekend

Did you go somewhere for "Church"..?

• Yes, in fact I did

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was just curious if anyone here attends Church meetings, Mass, synagogue, mosque, or whatever other word you use for religious group gatherings. I know some go on Saturdays and others on Sundays, so if you went, let everyone know.

Also, if you don't mind explaining, what was the most memorable experience you had while you were there.

Thanks.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I voted no. :(

I've gone once in the last 5 years. I keep telling myself I'm going to go, but then I keep stalling until it's too late... Weekend after weekend I do this. I'm lazy when I'm not at work, and I actually worked today. :(

I should be ashamed of myself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I went to a UU church awhile ago to check it out, and though the ideas are different it's still too Protestant for me to want to have anything to do with it.

InChrist

Free4ever
I went to church and the most memorable thing this week was just appreciating how relaxed and low key the service was and the love the pastor and people have for Jesus and the scriptures and each other. Last week a couple we have only talked to briefly invited and treated my husband and I out to lunch. It was fun and memorable just talking and getting to know them.

rocala

this is followed by "Did you go somewhere for Church"
finally we get
Church meetings, Mass, synagogue, mosque, or whatever
Wow considering this is in 'Interfaith Discussion' am I wrong in getting a sense of bias here. Get your language right landon

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Me? I am armless on the matter, not been to a friday/saturday/sunday worship meet for 35 years. But i did go twice in February, to funerals the of friends. I may not be religious but i will respect the belief of others.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I was just curious if anyone here attends Church meetings, Mass, synagogue, mosque, or whatever other word you use for religious group gatherings. I know some go on Saturdays and others on Sundays, so if you went, let everyone know.

Also, if you don't mind explaining, what was the most memorable experience you had while you were there.

Thanks.
Sunday mass was celebrated in honour of the Golden Wedding anniversary of two parishioners (nobody I knew). So it was concelebrated by both priests, in gold vestments instead of green, and the couple was invited to come forward for a blessing and a prayer of thanksgiving for the their married life, and to be invited to renew their wedding vows, which they did. There was a huge gathering of very Mediterranean looking family in attendance - Italian or Spanish, maybe. I've never come across such a ceremony before. I thought it was rather touching. A nice occasion, anyway.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, I went. I spend my Sundays teaching inmates at the Salt Lake Metropolitan Jail, so I suspect that counts.

Cooky

Veteran Member
finally we get

Wow considering this is in 'Interfaith Discussion' am I wrong in getting a sense of bias here. Get your language right landon

Uh-buoy... :confused:

Cooky

Veteran Member
finally we get

I don't claim to be a theologian. I would think most people aren't theologians. I only know: Church, Synagogue, Mosque, Mass, and Sunday Meetin'.

<Edit> see how forgetful I am, I forgot I already replied to you about 20 minutes ago. :) (I have short term memory loss for some unknown reason)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindus don't have a day of the week for everyone. Some people go Mondays regularly, others go Fridays regularly, some go every day, some are just spontaneous. Most temples are open every day so we have the freedom to choose.

Here there is a larger crowd on Sunday, not because it's a holy day, but because it's more likely people aren't working. Hindus are obliged to feed others, somebody sponsors a 'free (to everyone but the sponsor) lunch every Sunday, so more people come because of that too.

I personally generally avoid Sundays and go when it's quieter. Tomorrow evening we plan to go because it's Chaturthi for the month. There are several holier days based on the moon's cycle. Two pradoshas, a Krittika, and a Chaturthi each month. Lots of people go on those days as well.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In what way? I thought they were interfaith.
They are interfaith, but the way they do things is still basically Protestant. The labels and terms are different, but they go about doing things in a similar manner, and to me felt like revisiting an old warzone where I went through some very intense fighting due to my past/history with the Southern Baptist church. With such of a resemblance, even after all these years later, I still want nothing to do with it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They try to provide a welcoming space for anyone who comes,
I did get that shot of vibe from them. But, they did begin as protestant, as Tom mentioned, and it bleeds through during services. They themselves do seem to try to be very welcoming, but for those like me the damage is done and it feels uncomfortable at times.