• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio Stations

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know why, but I have a kind of love/hate relationship with the radio. I used to really enjoy listening to the rock stations as a kid, and sometimes I'd listen to the talk shows, although it was before Rush Limbaugh and before right-wing radio became much of a thing.

But over time, I started to get more and more frustrated with them playing the same songs over and over and over. The "classic rock" genre covers quite a number of years, from the 60s to 70s (or perhaps early 80s), which is dozens, if not hundreds, of artists, thousands of songs to choose from, yet their playlists seem rather short.

But to add insult to injury, the local classic rock station here (which I mostly grew up with) has these commercials telling people to go to their website and listen to their online station which they call "Deep Cuts." They say they play those songs which are "rarely" played on the main station. But they're the ones who decided that these songs should get rarely played in the first place.

Some of my favorite stations in the past went through format changes, some of them several times - as if they can't figure out what they want to do. I remember an all-heavy metal station which I thought was the greatest radio station ever conceived. But then one day, it turned into a Spanish-language station, then it became a hip-hop station, then it was a gospel station, and now (I think) it's a sports station. It makes me think that Herb Tarlek and Les Nessman were left in charge.

I was also thinking about this when reading the thread about RW media, but when it comes to radio, it seems like such a vast wasteland. I don't think radio is dead, but it seems like they've been going downhill in terms of quality and entertainment value.

Flame

Beware
I mostly just have my radio set to the local pop station for my daughter. Our rock station seems to be playing the same 20 songs on a schedule for the last five or so years. The rest are either evangelical christian talk shows or country music stations. :confused:

However I do listen into to Coast to Coast AM whenever I'm up in the early morning hours. :D Noory is an alright host but he's no Art Bell.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't know why, but I have a kind of love/hate relationship with the radio. I used to really enjoy listening to the rock stations as a kid, and sometimes I'd listen to the talk shows, although it was before Rush Limbaugh and before right-wing radio became much of a thing.

But over time, I started to get more and more frustrated with them playing the same songs over and over and over. The "classic rock" genre covers quite a number of years, from the 60s to 70s (or perhaps early 80s), which is dozens, if not hundreds, of artists, thousands of songs to choose from, yet their playlists seem rather short.

But to add insult to injury, the local classic rock station here (which I mostly grew up with) has these commercials telling people to go to their website and listen to their online station which they call "Deep Cuts." They say they play those songs which are "rarely" played on the main station. But they're the ones who decided that these songs should get rarely played in the first place.

Some of my favorite stations in the past went through format changes, some of them several times - as if they can't figure out what they want to do. I remember an all-heavy metal station which I thought was the greatest radio station ever conceived. But then one day, it turned into a Spanish-language station, then it became a hip-hop station, then it was a gospel station, and now (I think) it's a sports station. It makes me think that Herb Tarlek and Les Nessman were left in charge.

I was also thinking about this when reading the thread about RW media, but when it comes to radio, it seems like such a vast wasteland. I don't think radio is dead, but it seems like they've been going downhill in terms of quality and entertainment value.
It has and followed by media and television and other forms of entertainment.

I remember a conversation with Wolfman Jack talking about the downfall of radio DJs and mentioned something about the industry becoming formulated and based on statistical data rather than creativity and uniqueness. I'm glad to have experienced those days of radio, there was something very special about the time that for this generation and possibly further on will be lost forever.

A friend of mine had a long time hobby he actually got interested in shortwave radio. All the way from music of the world to the creepy and bizarre.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Also just got plain sick and tired of the commercials all the time. I'd swear on radio these days there are more commercials than programming every hour and to add insult to injury, they are even having the host shoot up a plug here and there for product or service. Also that morning crap where you have talk show hosts usually two men and a woman laughing and giggling like imbeciles in a formulated cut and pasted way as radio stations across the nation all follow the same laughing and giggling moronic demographic .

Earthling

David Henson
I have a bunch of online radio stations I like to listen to on my website. Most of it is conducive study, so ambient, classical, jazz. I used to have rock and metal but they aren't what I like to study with. If you have Real Audio or Winamp players, which are free and easy to download, you can listen to all sorts of radio stations all over the world. I prefer Winamp. Though you might be able to play them on other formats as well, I use those.

Internet Radio

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I used to listen to popular music stations. I had one that I listened to all of the time, but then Duran Duran came out with Rio. There was something about that song that got on my nerves more and more. It got to the point where I would hear it start I would scream in frustration and spin the dial. This was back in the days when a radio still had a dial. It turned out that my spin would hit a classical station. At first I would listen to it until Rio was done. My stays got longer and longer until I gave up on pop and went classical. It is still a public classical station today, though the rock station probably changed formats more than once.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I like the radio in the UK; I listen predominantly to BBC radio.
Radio 4 for culture, news and serious stuff, oh and The Archers
Radio 5 for rolling news and sport
Radio 6 for great music with intelligent and informed presenters.

Milton Platt

At the end of the day, the object of a radio station is to make money through the sale of advertising. They will do what makes the most economical sense at the current moment in time. If demographics say they need to change their format, that's what they will do. No radio station plays a particular genre because they have some intrinsic love for that music. A radio station that frequently changes format is either poorly managed or teetering on bankruptcy and grasping at straws.

The mix they play is carefully planned based upon research and listener feedback. Commercials have increased both in number and length to cover the increased cost of broadcasting the content and produce a profit. I can see a potential point in the future where the quantity of commercials necessary to financially support the broadcast is great enough that most radio stations will have to default to pay-to-listen formats. There is a point when there are so many commercials between the entertainment (music, talk shows) that people simply turn the radio off. I have already reached that point myself. I now listen to satellite radio almost exclusively. And this comes after decades of me saying that satellite radio was a dumb idea.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Where i live most radio stations are run of the mill phoneins/ talk/sport/music stations. The talk and phone ins are mostly recipes or personal health problems, sport doesn't interest me. The music is really a liquorice all sorts from kiddy pop to classical but nothing of much i like.

The answer is internet radio, my latest fave is radio nova, dublin. Pretty much constant classic rock mixed in with some local ads which can be very funny.

Some of the Australian stations can be good.

My philosophy is find what i like, listen until bored and find another.