• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist, or naw?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what "minorities" have to do with this. Just over a week ago, I was the subject of what I consider to be a racist verbal attack at my restaurant by a black male.

He told me that he hated white people and that he would conquer me. Is this not racism because I'm not a minority?

I'm from the hood.

I am a minority where I live.

Ive been discriminated against. It's just life. I've seen, in my lifetime, more racism come from minorities than from Caucasians.

I've listened to my ethnicity described like we are nothing but a bunch of Nazis, hillbillies, and white devils on a power trip with a history of lynchings, genocide, death camps, and slavery!

I tend to live in the worst areas, because that is where Catholic charities, shelters, free-meals, and social services tend to be.

So, I don't know what to make of it. Areas of the big cities I've lived that are primarily minorities have far more crimes, gang activity, drug abuse, violence, and murders, than neighborhoods that are primarily white.

That is not an opinion. It is a fact in the sense that statistics show this to be very true. I've talked with police officers who say the same thing.

It's also alot more socially acceptable in our culture to make slurs against white people. It is what it is. That's just life! I've grown accustomed to it and all the double-standards.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'll be honest Ymir, it's not how I see intersectionality theory at all.
I gave you a "funny" on your comment because I'm growing more and more accustom to this reaction. This is also the reason why my "Intersectionality" thread never materialized because Intersectionality is very much a moving target, as it is in flux and perpetual development. It was almost impossible to determine where to begin the discussion.

Kirran

Premium Member
I gave you a "funny" on your comment because I'm growing more and more accustom to this reaction. This is also the reason why my "Intersectionality" thread never materialized because Intersectionality is very much a moving target, as it is in flux and perpetual development. It was almost impossible to determine where to begin the discussion.

People getting overinvolved in their narratives about the world and in their identities is something that happens across the board, I think. No exception to be found in this case - and yeah, it's fluid, no doubt.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
He didn't appear to be on drugs, but clearly, he wasn't what I'd consider mentally of sound mind...

I never saw the guy before in my life. I was outside the restaurant taking care of switching menu boards. He entered the restaurant just ahead of me. He grabbed the door handle and I though he was going to hold the door open for me, but instead he pulled it shut and held it. He did that with the second door as well.

Once inside, he demanded my cashier give him a cup. I intervened and told him that after those shenanigans, that wasn't going to happen and to leave. Rather than leave, he argued with me and then put his mouth under the Coke dispenser and drank. He then left and came back 30 minutes later with a Big Gulp cup got in my face, and began stealing Coke.

Sounds like a homeless dude off on some drugs. No random guy is just gonna start doing that and if they do it's very rare so either he was on drugs or had some mental issues going on.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think racism is ultimately just the perception that there are separate human races and that there are differences between them.

Wrong on so many levels. when people say the above I show them Emmit Till. Racism is beyond simple perception but rather the belief of the inferiority of another ethnic group and one that perceives itself as superior. The below is an example of a time during my mother's time where this wasn't about perception but about how dangerous it was to be of a certain skin complexion..

emmett_till-670x296.jpg

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like a homeless dude off on some drugs. No random guy is just gonna start doing that and if they do it's very rare so either he was on drugs or had some mental issues going on.

Interesting evaluation. So what do we do with such a case?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Interesting evaluation. So what do we do with such a case?

If dude is stealing call the police. The man sounds rather combative and most likely displaying assaultive behavior. These individuals are like this even at hospitals. Very combative aggressive randomly argumentative for no apparent reason and yes they have elements of racial prejudice. But usually these individuals are off of drugs (most likely meth).

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well, he was black.
Tom
Where i live that statement starts having merit in multiple ways. I have people approach me to sell drugs on a fairly regular basis. They all are members of the same ethnicity (so far without a single exception in the four years I've lived here).

The sober black folks like my AA sponsor (my hero) find a better area to live or in multiple ways are encouraged to leave the area.

Someone just recently stole the wheel of my new locked-up bike. First it was the seat that dissapeared. LOL!

Life in Da hood!

I don't care if they kill me. I do care if they annoy me or take things from me!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Where i live that statement becomes true in multiple ways. I have people approach me to sell drugs on a fairly regular basis. They all are members of the same ethnicity (so far without a single exception in the four years I've lived here).

The sober black folks like my AA sponsor (my hero) find a better area to live or in multiple ways are encouraged to leave the area.

Someone just recently stole the wheel of my new locked-up bike. First it was the seat that dissapeared. LOL!

Life in Da hood!

I don't care if they kill me. I do care if they annoy me or take things from me!:mad:
My AA sponsor is of African descent.

He is my hero, and the closest thing I've met to Jesus Christ imo in the four years I've lived in this city.

I judge people based on their behavior, not their ethnicity.

I keep a picture of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and various black people on my wall who have heroic qualities I admire or wish I had.

But unfortunately, the people I usually meet, lack any of those qualities, are on something, are manipulative, don't respect boundaries, or have nothing worthwhile to say.

Hence, it can take it's toll on a person's views! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Wrong on so many levels. when people say the above I show them Emmit Till. Racism is beyond simple perception but rather the belief of the inferiority of another ethnic group and one that perceives itself as superior. The below is an example of a time during my mother's time where this wasn't about perception but about how dangerous it was to be of a certain skin complexion..

View attachment 22963
Emmit Till is one of the people I have enshrined on my wall. ( Not the disfigured picture of him after his death, of course.)

But in many ways he is a martyr to me.

Having been a persecuted minority myself, i admire and have compassion for those who are persecuted for being an ethnic or Religious minority.

Which is why I mentioned the soft place in my heart for Shiite Muslims.

Having said that, blacks get shot or jumped a lot where i have live here or the area around Saint Luke's mission of mercy (where I lived in Buffalo New York), and it's usually other black people doing the shooting (or jumping.)

Shaul

Premium Member
I simply say that all people who hit other people in the head with bricks need to be held accountable.

CruzNichaphor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-back-to-your-country/?utm_term=.b28731a7c428

An elderly Hispanic man was attacked with a brick and told to go back to mexico. Clearly a racist hate crime, correct?
Except that the perpetrator was a black woman; someone that many would claim can't be racist. How would they characterize this occurrence, especially without the 'privilege' factor? Do you suppose this crime "blue screened" the brains of SJWs?

Yes.

And on the topic of "hate crimes" - I've always thought the entire concept is a disgrace.

It deserves to be scrapped altogether.

CruzNichaphor

I simply say that all people who hit other people in the head with bricks need to be held accountable.

Agreed.

Would you go on to say that:

The Brick Chucker who throws a brick at someone because of their race has committed a worse crime than:

The Brick Chucker who throws a brick at someone for anyone other reason?

Shaul

Premium Member
Agreed.

The Brick Chucker who throws a brick at someone because of their race has committed a worse crime than:

Are racist bricks harder than non-racist bricks?

CruzNichaphor

Are racist bricks harder than non-racist bricks?

I'm not familiar with the science behind racist bricks or the relative solidity of a brick who has had their brick spouse cheat on them with a different brick after 30 years of brick marriage, but I'm going to make an educated guess and say a resounding: "no".

Have we seriously started to cross a cultural threshold where we are now determining the intrinsic value of individual brick? Pink Floyd would be appalled.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Agreed.

Hahaha! Damn it's refreshing to see such a kick to the groin of political correctness! :D

Racism is still very ugly no doubt, but still....I'm just getting thoroughly sick of double-standards!

Audie

Veteran Member
Sadly, he wasn't very specific. I initially though it would ne right after he finished stealing Coke from my drink station. But said conquest will likely have to wait until he is released from jail.

I kind of like being in a demographic nobody would suspect.
Now I just have to think what crime I want to commit.