• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism

linwood

Split from the "Underdog" thread...
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9756&page=2

Originally Posted by linwood

You`re right in the thought that she had learned her terminology somewhere so lets assume she held racist beliefs at 7. This is entirely possible from a black perspective.

TranceAm said...
That is not what I am after. And I even doubt that.
Why do you doubt it?
Those other two 7 year old bullies obviously held racist beliefs I assume they got from their family.

I would also assume this wasn`t the first time in her life she had been on the business end of the racism stick.

If white people are constantly telling you you suck because you`re black pretty soon you might develop an unhealthy problem with white people.

That would be racism.

It`s also quite possible she like the two bullies got it at home.
As you pointed out she knew how to use the words.."Stupid honky white boy".
She learned that somewhere.

It`s also just possible she was hurt and mad and lashed out at the first thing she saw that represented her antagonists..me.
I prefer to believe this last possibility.

I doubt the ill will, it is possible but very remote depending on her enviroment.
On what grounds do you doubt it?
Granted I have no grounds to assert it as part of her mentality but she certainly had some ill will towards white people at that moment.

What I am trying to show is that for her such "remarks" are maybe seen without any racist intent or even as "normal" (Since black people can't or aren't supposed to be racist..) But when seen in the right light.. Actually "equal" light, they are just as racist as the remarks of white supremacists about AfricanAmericans.
I agree entirely.

I`m not attempting to justify black racism.
I just choose to give her the benefit of the doubt considering I`ve said things and lashed out at the wrong people in anger myself that I didn`t really mean.

To judge a 7 year old girls mentality or tolerance at that particular moment would have been extremely unfair of me.
I did judge it then but I was just 7 myself, felt I had done a good thing, a noble thing and that victim/underdog "bit" me .

With age I realise my judging her for her actions at that moment wasn`t entirely fair given that she had just been abused and she was just a little girl.

linwood

NetDoc said:
"just a little girl"???

OK, which is worse, racism or sexism?
You`re stretchin` Net Doc.

I would have used the same descriptives if she had been "just a little boy".

You`ll be hard...hard pressed to find a foundation for sexism in me.

:)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Not an accusation... just an observation. :D It keeps you honest you know!

But in reality, racism and sexism are like festering boils on your face. YOU may not see them, but all those around you are being revulsed by the thing. It pays to listen to OTHERS when it comes to these things, for they can see you far more clearly than you can see yourself. What we tend to overlook in our character is obvious and glaring to others.

Two summers ago I took my Venture Crew canoeing down the Suwannee river (please don't start that song!). There were 5 girls, 3 boys and four adults and we covered about 90 miles. At one stop we camped across the river from a spring, two of the boys asked to go over and wash up and I said yes. Then two of the girls asked, and since there was this lecherous looking old goat who was eying my girls when we were over there as a group, I said "No way". I was almost crucified on the spot for my bigotry right then and there. OUCH! Now if you were to come to me and even SUGGEST that the girls couldn't do anything the boys could do, you would have me telling you just how much HARDER the girls worked and how much BETTER they planned events. And yet, when I wasn't thinking about it, I let my own prejudices leak out. So I apologised to the girls and let them go... but with explicit instructions to stay away from any old goats.

It's incredibly easy to SAY we don't have prejudices, but it's far harder to walk the walk.

linwood

NetDoc said:
But in reality, racism and sexism are like festering boils on your face. YOU may not see them, but all those around you are being revulsed by the thing.
I know exactly what you`re saying and don`t disagree with it a bit.

I`ve been an active MOD in some seriously open race relations forums .
The experience showed me the vast majority of us still have what I call "residual racist baggage"

I`m sure I still carry it and I may still carry some of the same thing concerning sexism.
However I believe I am being sincere when I say that the birth of my daughter did a damn good number on whatever "residual sexist baggage" I might have been carrying.

Scuba Pete

Yeah, there are some who are truly racist on our fair board, but for what it's worth, I don't think you are one of them.

w00t

Racism should be cracked down upon hard, whatever the age of the child, it is totally unacceptable, whoever makes a racist remark, black or white!

Scuba Pete

Racism comes from ignorance and fear, which turns into hate. Cracking down will only widen the chasm and lead to more hate. At this age, they should be reasoned with and taught.