• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism in Scripture! Why do people deny it?

The Bible promotes racist ideas/sentiments/views in places?

• Yes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The argument here is not: "does the Bible promote racism?"

OF COURSE IT PROMOTES RACISM!

That is so obvious, it isn't even up for debate.

Just because the New Testament contains a few words of equality amongst "gentile, Jew, Greek, slave, free, man , woman etc. " There are many verses that say the EXACT OPPOSITE!

Not to mention, how you behave, and what your destiny and inclinations are going to be, according to different passages in Scripture, depend on how blessed or cursed the blood line is that you descend from, and who your ancestors are.

Depending on how much God doesn't like a group in Scripture, he sometimes wipes them out or kills their first born with an Angel of death, or punishes everyone with plagues, or drowns practically everyone, depending on what portion of Scripture you are reading.

(Speaking of flooding, I got caught in damn rapids I thought would push me down stream. Instead the rapids sucked me towards the damn, and everywhere I swam, rapids kept pushing me back to the same location. I called out for help, nobody was around. Everywhere I swam, the rapids kept pushing me to the same location. Something eventually told me to go to the bottom and start kicking off the rocks. Eventually I did that enough times, that I made it far enough downstream, that the rapids kept pushing me eventually to land.

By the time I reached land, I was so exhausted and oxygen deprived, that I was blind for a period of time (could not see), extremely nauseous, stumbling around sick, and I had a splitting headache that lasted the rest of the day. Drowning is an extremely frightening, miserable, scary way to die! And yet God drowned the world, including babies, children, and pregnant women. It's extremely mean and cruel!)

The descendants of ham were cursed by Noah, to serve the descendants of Noah's other brothers, for a silly "crime" they were innocent of, making it atrocious for Noah to place the curse, and even more despicable, cruel, and unjust, for an all powerful God to ratify and execute the curse!:mad:

Because of the Geographic location where descendants of Ham settled, people have used Scripture to justify slavery.

Granted, hundreds of thousands of Christians were abolitionists, and my hat goes off to them, but Jesus was not a slave abolitionist, and the New Testament justifies slavery, telling slaves "obey your masters".

God clearly, in Scripture, will bless one group of people, and their descendants, and favor them, and curse another. It's why I converted to Shinto, where there are no inerrant Scriptures, no known founder, the only Doctrine is "belief in the Kami (God , Spirits, 90% of the world roughly believes in Kami, so nothing to argue about in Shinto), no inerrant prophets, (and the highest Kami in Shinto is a cute sweet female, lady of light and sunshine, who grew to be greater and more venerated than her maker), because obviously Scripture contains error, and so do Prophets, and the creator is out to lunch, racist, and not nice!

At least if we judge by Scripture!

So tell me though, why do people who believe Scripture is without error, still claim to this day it is NOT racist? Why refuse to identify the obvious??o_O

Nimos

So tell me though, why do people who believe Scripture is without error, still claim to this day it is NOT racist? Why refuse to identify the obvious??o_O
This various depending on who you ask. And the answers are almost as vast as the number of words in the bible :D

In my experience the most common ones are these:

1. Bible was written by humans and does contain errors.
2. Certain verses in the bible are not to be taken literally, seems to be mostly the ones where God does something bad.
3. God created humans, so he can do whatever he want and have no moral obligations to us, because we can't understand him.
4. God only do good and have a plan for why he is doing this, which will be revealed later.
5. These things were necessary back then, different place and time... not really sure how that justify it, but anyway :)
6. Much like 5, these things doesn't apply anymore, because Jesus solved that by fulfilling the law, despite him saying otherwise.. again not really sure how that justify it.
7. This only applied to the Jews back then, it was some special thing, due to the covenant.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
This various depending on who you ask. And the answers are almost as vast as the number of words in the bible :D

In my experience the most common ones are these:

1. Bible was written by humans and does contain errors.
2. Certain verses in the bible are not to be taken literally, seems to be mostly the ones where God does something bad.
3. God created humans, so he can do whatever he want and have no moral obligations to us, because we can't understand him.
4. God only do good and have a plan for why he is doing this, which will be revealed later.
5. These things were necessary back then, different place and time... not really sure how that justify it, but anyway :)
6. Much like 5, these things doesn't apply anymore, because Jesus solved that by fulfilling the law, despite him saying otherwise.. again not really sure how that justify it.
7. This only applied to the Jews back then, it was some special thing, due to the covenant.
Hahahaha! :D You're Killin me!

NOW that's funny!
laughing-laugh.gif
giphy (2).gif

Brinne

The Bible was codified a few thousand years before modern race theory began to form. Ancient and classical civilizations had no conception of race historically, so it's its anachronistic to project a modern system of thought onto a people that predate it by several hundreds of years.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Not to mention Jesus started an all male boy's club and priesthood, where all of his Apostles were people who descended from Jacob, his ethnicity.

He lived in the Roman Empire, very diverse ethnically, and clearly was against affirmative action, if you view his behavior and his employees.

Not to mention, Jesus told a woman that descendants of Jacob were human beings (God's children), and her people were dogs. He refused to help the woman's tormented daughter, until she insulted all of her ancestors, by referring to her bloodline and "people" as "dogs eating the scraps from the children's table".

I mean, I'm simply stating a fact. By the definition of "racist", that is extremely so, because it is degrading and dehumanizing speech! Not cool JC!
:mad:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Bible was codified a few thousand years before modern race theory began to form. Ancient and classical civilizations had no conception of race historically, so it's its anachronistic to project a modern system of thought onto a people that predate it by several hundreds of years.
God curses entire bloodlines of people, blesses and favors others, curses descendants of ham to be slaves!

It is in the end, the same error as racism!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In the defense of God and the Bible, followers of the text have built most hospitals, universities, orphanages, services to the poor, and charity, in countless countries.

The book, and God, have inspired a great deal of good, charity, honesty, no stealing, altruism, love for others etc. I'm trying to be fair and unbiased here!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Just because the New Testament contains a few words of equality amongst "gentile, Jew, Greek, slave, free, man , woman etc. " There are many verses that say the EXACT OPPOSITE!

Not to mention, how you behave, and what your destiny and inclinations are going to be, according to different passages in Scripture, depend on how blessed or cursed the blood line is that you descend from, and who your ancestors are.

Depending on how much God doesn't like a group in Scripture, he sometimes wipes them out or kills their first born with an Angel of death, or punishes everyone with plagues, or drowns practically everyone, depending on what portion of Scripture you are reading.

(Speaking of flooding, I got caught in damn rapids I thought would push me down stream. Instead the rapids sucked me towards the damn, and everywhere I swam, rapids kept pushing me back to the same location. I called out for help, nobody was around. Everywhere I swam, the rapids kept pushing me to the same location. Something eventually told me to go to the bottom and start kicking off the rocks. Eventually I did that enough times, that I made it far enough downstream, that the rapids kept pushing me eventually to land.

By the time I reached land, I was so exhausted and oxygen deprived, that I was blind for a period of time (could not see), extremely nauseous, stumbling around sick, and I had a splitting headache that lasted the rest of the day. Drowning is an extremely frightening, miserable, scary way to die! And yet God drowned the world, including babies, children, and pregnant women. It's extremely mean and cruel!)

The descendants of ham were cursed by Noah, to serve the descendants of Noah's other brothers, for a silly "crime" they were innocent of, making it atrocious for Noah to place the curse, and even more despicable, cruel, and unjust, for an all powerful God to ratify and execute the curse!:mad:

Because of the Geographic location where descendants of Ham settled, people have used Scripture to justify slavery.

Granted, hundreds of thousands of Christians were abolitionists, and my hat goes off to them, but Jesus was not a slave abolitionist, and the New Testament justifies slavery, telling slaves "obey your masters".

God clearly, in Scripture, will bless one group of people, and their descendants, and favor them, and curse another. It's why I converted to Shinto, where there are no inerrant Scriptures, no known founder, the only Doctrine is "belief in the Kami (God , Spirits, 90% of the world roughly believes in Kami, so nothing to argue about in Shinto), no inerrant prophets, (and the highest Kami in Shinto is a cute sweet female, lady of light and sunshine, who grew to be greater and more venerated than her maker), because obviously Scripture contains error, and so do Prophets, and the creator is out to lunch, racist, and not nice!

Supporting scripture? Or cherry picking :D

Nimos

In the defense of God and the Bible, followers of the text have built most hospitals, universities, orphanages, services to the poor, and charity, in countless countries.

The book, and God, have inspired a great deal of good, charity, honesty, no stealing, altruism, love for others etc. I'm trying to be fair and unbiased here!
Well there haven't really been an alternative.. meaning that you don't see a lot of Islamic funded hospitals having been built in Christian countries vice versa. Atheism as an alternative to religion during that period of time weren't really an option, at least not in any important way. And today these things are founded through tax or personal donations etc.

That is not to take away from what they have done, which is good. But statements like this often makes it sound like, that if it weren't for religion, we would still live in caves and medicine and hospitals etc. would never have been built, because atheists are only out to hurt and cause as much suffering as possible.... which is only partly true :p

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Supporting scripture? Or cherry picking :D

How about God having a chosen favorite people and master race he exalted above all others BY FAR, the ultra extreme nationalism, how He discouraged mixing with other ethnic groups, encouraged "racial purity", and violence against people of other bloodlines, ethnicities, and different ancestors than God's favorite?

The Holy Land was taken through militant violent conquest!

Racist ideas and policies, have so many examples in Scripture, it would be asinine of me , if I were to call it "cherry picking"! It is the general reoccurring rule and theme supported!

I guess you should read the Bible, if you deny it. After you have done so, perhaps you and I can actually have a reasonable rational discussion on it, and neither of us try to deny the obvious! ;)

Not to mention Jesus started an all male boy's club and priesthood, where all of his Apostles were people who descended from Jacob, his ethnicity.

He lived in the Roman Empire, very diverse ethnically, and clearly was against affirmative action, if you view his behavior and his employees.

Not to mention, Jesus told a woman: that descendants of Jacob were human beings (God's children), and her people were dogs. He refused to help the woman's tormented daughter, until she insulted all of her ancestors, by referring to her bloodline and "people" as "dogs eating the scraps from the children's table".

I mean, I'm simply stating a fact. By the definition of "racist", that is extremely so, because it is degrading and dehumanizing speech! Not cool JC!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
While at the same time, I don't want to discourage people who love Jesus or Yahweh. If it makes you more compassionate, charitable, honest, and altruistic, keep it up! :thumbsup:

But try to take much of the Bible as being outdated and not cool, is what I'm saying. Don't ever use it to judge or bash others.

Kenny

Premium Member
How about God having a chosen favorite people and master race he exalted above all others BY FAR, the ultra extreme nationalism, how He discouraged mixing with other ethnic groups, encouraged "racial purity", and violence against people of other bloodlines, ethnicities, and different ancestors than God's favorite?

The Holy Land was taken through militant violent conquest!

Racist ideas and policies, have so many examples in Scripture, it would be asinine of me , if I were to call it "cherry picking"! It is the general reoccurring rule and theme supported!

I guess you should read the Bible, if you deny it. After you have done so, perhaps you and I can actually have a reasonable rational discussion on it, and neither of us try to deny the obvious! ;)

Not to mention, Jesus told a woman: that descendants of Jacob were human beings (God's children), and her people were dogs. He refused to help the woman's tormented daughter, until she insulted all of her ancestors, by referring to her bloodline and "people" as "dogs eating the scraps from the children's table".

I hear a repeating of talking point of so many others that didn't know what they were talking about... so.....

source? quotes?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

The obvious is that you should read the whole Bible in context to understand that God is no respecter of persons.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I hear a repeating of talking point of so many others that didn't know what they were talking about... so.....

source? quotes?
I have to go to group, but google Jesus referring to a woman and her people as dogs, and children of Israel as God's children. One of many examples.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Why did God discourage mixing with other nations?
Deuteronomy 7:3-4
You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the Lord would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you quickly.

It was because they served other gods, not because they were of a different race. All people on the earth are of the same blood. Race is a meaningless concept.

Kenny

Premium Member
I gave you the source: "The Holy Bible." Read it. Use Google!
Then you mined the quotes because your position is wrong. Just saying "The Bible" isn't a quote.

For one, it wasn't racial purity, it was faith purity... anyone can become Jewish.

Kenny

Premium Member
I have to go to group, but google Jesus referring to a woman and her people as dogs, and children of Israel as God's children. One of many examples.

Then you didn't read the context. The woman got her child healed. (Or did you forget that?) And "For God so loved the WORLD" - did you see just the Jewish nation or did it say THE WORLD.

Just a minor oversight. :)

And you can "google" the earth is flat and find some nibbles on that too. ;) And since I googled it... it MUST be true...
'I didn't wanna believe it either': Rapper BoB insists the Earth is flat

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Then you didn't read the context. The woman got her child healed. (Or did you forget that?) And "For God so loved the WORLD" - did you see just the Jewish nation or did it say THE WORLD.

Just a minor oversight. :)

And you can "google" the earth is flat and find some nibbles on that too. ;) And since I googled it... it MUST be true...
'I didn't wanna believe it either': Rapper BoB insists the Earth is flat
I answered that for you. Jesus only healed the woman, when she referred to her people as dogs. That's very dehumanizing and wrong.