• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism & Freedom: The Atheist Bible

Which of these composers names have you heard of?

• Total voters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I promise this sequel thread is the last in a series of two. It's just that the Gods Sex Fascist Evolution Scandal thread showed that quite a lot of the composer's names were known to the good denizens of this parish (unless you were all fibbing of course), so I just wanted to do a follow up with a few more names. As I say, there'll be no more such threads, my ADD has kicked in now; I could hardly be bothered to come up with the clickbait title.
As before, just tick the names you've heard of, doesn't matter if you've heard any of their music (knowingly anyway - if you've seen Shutter Island you've heard the music of Penderecki frinstance).
Cheers!

exchemist

Veteran Member
I promise this sequel thread is the last in a series of two. It's just that the Gods Sex Fascist Evolution Scandal thread showed that quite a lot of the composer's names were known to the good denizens of this parish (unless you were all fibbing of course), so I just wanted to do a follow up with a few more names. As I say, there'll be no more such threads, my ADD has kicked in now; I could hardly be bothered to come up with the clickbait title.
As before, just tick the names you've heard of, doesn't matter if you've heard any of their music (knowingly anyway - if you've seen Shutter Island you've heard the music of Penderecki frinstance).
Cheers!
Ligeti? Who he?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Cheers!
I know absolutely none of those composers!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Damn, and i as just in the mood for a good racism argument...

Last one i got them all, this one only about half, but I don't have my thinking cap on today.

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's a no, a no and a no. :)
Ha! Gotcha. I've sung all three, when I was in The Hague. They are from the Flemish school of Renaissance polyphony.

Isaac wrote a 6 part Agnus Dei which was fiendishly hard to sing, without it turning into just..... sound:

Very hard not to get lost in all this, at times. It used to give me a headache: probably it was a bridge too far really. But a lot of this stuff is marvellous, and incredibly sophisticated, considering it was written around 1500.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Ha! Gotcha. I've sung all three, when I was in The Hague. They are from the Flemish school of Renaissance polyphony.

Isaac wrote a 6 part Agnus Dei which was fiendishly hard to sing, without it turning into just..... sound:

Very hard not to get lost in all this, at times. It used to give me a headache: probably it was a bridge too far really. But a lot of this stuff is marvellous, and incredibly sophisticated, considering it was written around 1500.
I suspected they were at the Hildegard end of things. Thanks for the heads up.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I suspected they were at the Hildegard end of things. Thanks for the heads up.
She was 400 years earlier, in the era of plainchant, before polyphony had been developed.

But if you want a flavour of Renaissance polyphony you could do worse than listen to Josquin des Prez's Ave Maria, which we also sang and which I love (very clever video, too, to help you follow the music):

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ah. Baroque is about as far as I go back generally in my listening.
I was the same (Bach being my favourite), until by chance I got into this little a cappella choir that a Japanese singing teacher was starting in The Hague. It was a whole new world, and in fact very rewarding indeed, for a choral singer. But very taxing.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
wasn't aware that John Adams did any composing. But didn't he start decomposing in 1804 or thereabouts?

Didn't remember anything about Hildegard of Bingen being a composer...I read quite a bit by and about her for a project once, but I apparently don't recall much of it now...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
wasn't aware that John Adams did any composing. But didn't he start decomposing in 1804 or thereabouts?

Haha yes, the name is just too common. Even just in music there's two:

John (Luther) Adams

and

John (Coolidge) Adams

Didn't remember anything about Hildegard of Bingen being a composer...I read quite a bit by and about her for a project once, but I apparently don't recall much of it now...

I think she might be called a polymath?

Hildegard Von Bingen Facts | Hildegard Remarkable Contributions

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member