• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racial transitioning. People are doing it.

Lain

What do you think?

Should people be allowed to legally change their race?

I'm not sure what to think of it. I wouldn't accept someone who transitioned into my race personally (accept in the sense as say that they are in fact a new race).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Not so long ago we had a "one drop rule" where someone who had any amount of Black ancestry was considered legally black. Since we all came from Africa and thus have genetic linkage to Africans we are all Black by that standard.

But to focus on the OP, we are living in a time and place where there is a history of systemic and legal racism which some try to whitewash out of existence even ranting and raving at school board meetings about it.

Others feel an identification with a certain race, nationality and even gender to generalize the OP. And a few try to restrict words and deeds to members of certain groups (extreme "cultural appropriation")

From my perspective, we should acknowledge and teach children history, make sure the laws are structured to overcome the still existing systemic discrimination of people and accept that people's feelings are valid for them. It's a shocking and unlikely idea, but maybe we could try talking with each other to understand different perspectives and relax just a bit.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If global warming continues unabated, the Inuit will have to transition to one of the equatorial peoples, I'd imagine.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
How is race legally determined in the US?

My impression was that it was almost entirely based on self reporting, or am I completely wrong there?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Evidently you can choose your age too. From teen to I'm 35.
Anymore nothing surprises me yet I can't even imagine what things will be like in 50 years.
I think people are going through an identity crisis this generation.

You know, givin enough time and the advances in technology and the like, people may very well choose the identity they feel they fit in best. Someday.

Unfortunately they probably still wouldn't find a cure for baldness. *sigh*

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think people are going through an identity crisis this generation.

You know, givin enough time and the advances in technology and the like, people may very well choose the identity they feel they fit in best. Someday.

Unfortunately they probably still wouldn't find a cure for baldness. *sigh*

So what was up the legal aspect?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What do you think?

Should people be allowed to legally change their race?

Can I change my ethnic makeup? I'd like to be 1/4 American, 1/4 Congolese, 1/4 Nepalese, and 1/4 Bulgarian. Is there some sort of pill I can take for this? Or does it involve several treatments?