• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rabuka to be leader of coalition govt in Fiji

danieldemol

Premium Member
'The People’s Alliance/National Federation and SODELPA will form the next government...

...Based on this Sitiveni Rabuka will have the majority votes in parliament and will be the next Prime Minister of Fiji.'

Source: The People’s Alliance/NFP and SODELPA to form the next government

So it looks like votes have been taken and negotiations have been finalised.

I'm wondering how Fijians feel about this and what it may mean for Indo-Fijians?

In my opinion.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
'The People’s Alliance/National Federation and SODELPA will form the next government...

...Based on this Sitiveni Rabuka will have the majority votes in parliament and will be the next Prime Minister of Fiji.'

I'm wondering how Fijians feel about this and what it may mean for Indo-Fijians?

In my opinion.

I was there about 8 years ago and the official word was that everyone loved each other but when you leave the tourist areas there seemed to be a lot of ill will towards the Indian population. Just my observations I could be completely wrong.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

In my opinion.
More troubles ahead? 2000 Fijian coup d'état - Wikipedia

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oof I remember watching that happen as a kid.
My mum is an Indo-Fijian and whilst I might have been too young to understand what was happening then. My family here were quite anxious during that era, mostly because we still have family in Fiji

According to my mother, the now Mr President has claimed that he didn’t actually want to do the coup, but the losing president was his father in law. So he was forced into it.
Which is clearly just a bit of PR but I guess we’ll see what happens

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Oof I remember watching that happen as a kid.
My mum is an Indo-Fijian and whilst I might have been too young to understand what was happening then. My family here were quite anxious during that era, mostly because we still have family in Fiji

According to my mother, the now Mr President has claimed that he didn’t actually want to do the coup, but the losing president was his father in law. So he was forced into it.
Which is clearly just a bit of PR but I guess we’ll see what happens

This is the main reason there has been so much emigration by ethnic Indian Fijians. Australia and Canada, I believe, have been the two most common destinations. The writing could be on the wall.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
This is the main reason there has been so much emigration by ethnic Indian Fijians. Australia and Canada, I believe, have been the two most common destinations. The writing could be on the wall.
I mean, can’t say that I blame them lol