• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rabbi Sucks Baby's Penis And Gives Him Herpes

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, he does spit it out, since it's prohibited to eat blood. But yeah.

Just between us. I love Jews. Woody Allen, Richard Feynman, Einstein, etc.

But don’t you think this is really gross?

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member
(though I thought I recalled the use of a fingernail).
That's for the part called pri'ah. Often you can tell a person is a mohel if the nails on both their thumbs are slightly longer and come to a point in the middle.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Just between us. I love Jews. Woody Allen, Richard Feynman, Einstein, etc.

But don’t you think this is really gross?

Ciao

- viole
Not really. I mean, I pass out if I look at a bleeding wound for longer than a few seconds. Before my first boy was born, I really wanted to do the circumcision, but at crunch time, I realized I would have stabbed my own foot on my way to the floor. So I don't feel repulsed by it, but it's not something I could do.
Judging from this thread though, I think I can see why you would but I also think it's just a different cultural perception of the organ and the act.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Not really. I mean, I pass out if I look at a bleeding wound for longer than a few seconds. Before my first boy was born, I really wanted to do the circumcision, but at crunch time, I realized I would have stabbed my own foot on my way to the floor. So I don't feel repulsed by it, but it's not something I could do.
Judging from this thread though, I think I can see why you would but I also think it's just a different cultural perception of the organ and the act.

Well, me too. For some reason, I have no problem to watch movies like Rambo, or Tarantino, where thousands are exterminated and torn to pieces, but I cannot watch a simple injection taking blood at my arzt practice, or at the movies.

Now, on a more serious note, don’t you think the kid has the right to decide about mutilations on what is expected to be his second favorite organ in life? Or is it the first?

Ciao

- viole

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
There is no reason for anyone to have their mouth on a baby's penis, regardless of culture. Culture isn't beyond reproach nor exempt from scrutiny. Some things simply have no place in the modern, civilized world.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Well, me too. For some reason, I have no problem to watch movies like Rambo, or Tarantino, where thousands are exterminated and torn to pieces, but I cannot watch a simple injection taking blood at my arzt practice, or at the movies.
Well, I don't know about movies, but I pass out about 50% of the time I get a blood test. Thank G-d my kids aren't wild. My daughter once bumped her lip and her took kind of stabbed the inside of her lip and she was gushing blood. I brought her to the bathroom to run cold water on it, called my wife to come to the bathroom and then stumbled my way to my bed as everything was going dark.

Now, on a more serious note, don’t you think the kid has the right to decide about mutilations on what is expected to be his second favorite organ in life? Or is it the first?

Ciao

- viole
You're asking two questions here: one about whether my kid has the right to decide about whether to be circumcised or not and the second is about how he relates to his sexual organ.

To the first one, no, I don't think such a right exists. As a parent, my responsibility is to raise my child according to what I think is best for them, whatever that may entail.

To the second one, I think, assuming he remains an ultra-Orthodox Jew (and I guess statistically he will), he probably won't relate to it as strongly as you imagine.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, I don't know about movies, but I pass out about 50% of the time I get a blood test. Thank G-d my kids aren't wild. My daughter once bumped her lip and her took kind of stabbed the inside of her lip and she was gushing blood. I brought her to the bathroom to run cold water on it, called my wife to come to the bathroom and then stumbled my way to my bed as everything was going dark.

You're asking two questions here: one about whether my kid has the right to decide about whether to be circumcised or not and the second is about how he relates to his sexual organ.

To the first one, no, I don't think such a right exists. As a parent, my responsibility is to raise my child according to what I think is best for them, whatever that may entail.

To the second one, I think, assuming he remains an ultra-Orthodox Jew (and I guess statistically he will), he probably won't relate to it as strongly as you imagine.

Ok, suppose I raise my child to hate and kill, because I am a fanatic Muslim, or whatever, and I firmly believe that is the best for him. Do I have the right, to do that?

Related question. Suppose I am a JW. My child is about to die. All doctors say that a blood transfusion will easily save his life. Leider I believe that blood transfusions are bad for his soul, or whatever. Have I the right to prevent that?

Ciao

- viole

Skwim

Veteran Member
If that is true, that rabbi should go to jail with the charge of serious damage to that child’s health. Herpes at that age might even be deadly.

Freedom of religion, aka primitive superstitions and rituals, has no value when it comes to the health of kids.

Ciao

- viole
Gotta agree.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is no reason for anyone to have their mouth on a baby's penis, regardless of culture. Culture isn't beyond reproach nor exempt from scrutiny. Some things simply have no place in the modern, civilized world.
It could & it does have a place.
But I oppose it primarily as needless danger, secondarily as too
close to child sexual molestation, & thirdly as incredibly icky.
My hope is that enuf people share my view, & would make the
practice illegal & subject to severe sanction.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Ok, suppose I raise my child to hate and kill, because I am a fanatic Muslim, or whatever, and I firmly believe that is the best for him. Do I have the right, to do that?

Related question. Suppose I am a JW. My child is about to die. All doctors say that a blood transfusion will easily save his life. Leider I believe that blood transfusions are bad for his soul, or whatever. Have I the right to prevent that?

Ciao

- viole
I knew that was coming. I think that, yes, you have the right (and perhaps the responsibility) to do that, however, my culture also causes me to strongly disagree with your beliefs. I don't feel like I could take that away from you, because you'd have to be religious (or at least American) to claim that you have the objectively correct moral code that everyone in the world must abide by ;). But from my perspective, it would be another unfortunate situation.

Edit: Have you always been sneaking in German and I just never realized it?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I knew that was coming. I think that, yes, you have the right (and perhaps the responsibility) to do that, however, my culture also causes me to strongly disagree with your beliefs. I don't feel like I could take that away from you, because you'd have to be religious (or at least American) to claim that you have the objectively correct moral code that everyone in the world must abide by ;). But from my perspective, it would be another unfortunate situation.

Edit: Have you always been sneaking in German and I just never realized it?
Well, of course it was coming. What do you expect when someone claim the right to mutilate their kids because some accident of birth makes them jews, instead of whatever else?

Me sneaking in German? Don’t know what you mean.

So, if me, JW, let my child die, because my tenets tell me that death is better than transfusion, I have the right to do that. The right of my child to live, if any, is superseded by the right of his parents of holding some beliefs, no matter how weird.

Same with female genital mutilation, arranged marriage, or praying instead of curing, or whatever tenet I might make up today.

Is that right? Do you really believe that?

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, of course it was coming. What do you expect when someone claim the right to mutilate their kids because some accident of birth makes them jews, instead of whatever else?

So, if me, JW, let my child die, because my tenets tell me that death is better than transfusion, I have the right to do that. The right of my child to live, if any, is superseded by the right of their parents of holding some beliefs, no matter how weird.

Same with female mutilation, or praying instead of curing, or whatever tenet I might make up today.

Ciao

- viole
I too have sneaked in some German here at times.
@Shadow Wolf & @Wu Wei have too.
Uh oh....is that snitching?
Anyway, some things are best expressed in German,
eg, quoting Wolfgang Pauli, joy from pain.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Life is full of "accidents of birth". No one can escape them. Coming to peace with your life's circumstances, is a part of becoming mature.

You wrote leider instead of unfortunately.

So, if me, JW, let my child die, because my tenets tell me that death is better than transfusion, I have the right to do that. The right of my child to live, if any, is superseded by the right of his parents of holding some beliefs, no matter how weird.

Same with female genital mutilation, arranged marriage, or praying instead of curing, or whatever tenet I might make up today.

Ciao

- viole
I do.:ring:

How about you? Say someone has a child in the hospital whom the doctors have given up hope for. They recommend pulling the plug. Does that child's right to live supersede the belief of the parent that their child shouldn't suffer?

Curious George

Veteran Member

Ciao

- viole
Except both examples here are clear instances of abuse. That is they cause direct and immediate harm to the child while providing no benefit.

You would be better to compare circumcision to getting a cavity filled in a baby tooth, getting ears pierced, having wisdom teeth removed when it wasn't strictly medically necessary.

The problem with people who rally against circumcision is that they fail to acknowledge their are indeed medical benefits to circumcision and circumcision really isn't that harmful.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Life is full of "accidents of birth". No one can escape them. Coming to peace with your life's circumstances, is a part of becoming mature.

That is no excuse to avoid the avoidable.

You wrote leider instead of unfortunately.

Oops.’tschuldigung.

I do.:ring:

How about you? Say someone has a child in the hospital whom the doctors have given up hope for. They recommend pulling the plug. Does that child's right to live supersede the belief of the parent that their child shouldn't suffer?

If all doctors tell me my chid is going to die, and he is just suffering for no reason, then I pull the plug, and I donate his organs, if possible. Not because I believe that, but because the current scientific knowledge knows that.

Are you comparing that with the belief in divine suboptimal penis design, or that blood contains the soul, or that females should suffer genital mutilation because of some primitive belief, or anything of that sort?

Ciao

- viole

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know enough about female circumcision and it's effects to answer that.
If the experience is similar to mine, then I see no reason to be against it.
Female circumcision is so that the young woman has no more hot spot and so she will not be tempted to cool it. It is so the man she gets married to gets her service all to himself forever. Or, that's the plan anyway.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Opinions in Jewish sources range from 'it's not forbidden' to 'it fulfills a positive commandment' to make use of that organ. So I guess we're on the other side of the fence on that one.
To make use of a clitoris which isn't? o_O Not possible!