• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rabbi Sherwin Wine: 1928 - 2007

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From the iht ...

Sherwin Wine, leader of Humanistic Judaism, dies at 79​
FARMINGTON HILLS, Michigan: Rabbi Sherwin Wine, the leader of a worldwide Jewish movement that viewed the religion as a culture rather than a faith, has died. He was 79.

Wine, who founded the first congregation of Humanistic Judaism in suburban Detroit in 1963, was killed Saturday in an automobile accident in Essaouira, Morocco, the Society for Humanistic Judaism's Web site said. He and his partner, Richard McMains, were on vacation and were returning from dinner when their taxi was hit by another driver.

The cab driver was also killed, and McMains remained hospitalized in stable condition, the Web site said.

Wine, who lived in Birmingham, Michigan, founded The Birmingham Temple in 1963 and helped establish the Society for Humanistic Judaism in 1969. He retired in 2003.

He built a movement that began with eight Detroit area families into a worldwide one with an estimated 40,000 members. The American Humanist Association selected him humanist of the year for 2003.​
My wife and I had the opportunity to meet and hear Rabbi Wine, even having dinner with him on one occasion. He was a remarkable intellect and visionary. May his memory be a blessing to those who mourn.

Yerda

Veteran Member
As yet I know next to nothing about this man, though I've read only good things about Jewish Humanism. I imagine it must be a wonderful thing to have known him.

A question, if that's ok: it says Judaism as a culture instead of a faith. Is that a simplification or is there only one culture within Judaism?

I'm vaguely aware of terminology like Sephardic and Ashkenazic but largely ignorant as to what they are.

Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread from the subject, which is the passing of this seemingly fine man.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As yet I know next to nothing about this man, though I've read only good things about Jewish Humanism. I imagine it must be a wonderful thing to have known him.
Actually, I disagreed with him, but he was nevertheless a noble and thoughtful leader deserving of respect.

A question, if that's ok: it says Judaism as a culture instead of a faith. Is that a simplification or is there only one culture within Judaism?
Categorizing Judaism as a culture impresses me as far less a simplification than does categorizing it as a religion. In fact, Judaism transcends religion but, as you noted, that is more appropriate to some other thread.