• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rabbi Ralph Messer

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Anyone ever heard of this guy? He is coming to where I live, and I guess it has caused some problems. We don't have a big Jewish community here, but they seem to be upset that he would call him a Rabbi. So I would like to just know some background on him, and whether or not he should be considered a Rabbi.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It looks like he's running some sort of group that's combining Judaism with evangelical Christianity. My guess would be like Jim Bakker meets Jews for Jesus.

Simchat Torah Beit Midrash

I can see why they would be upset.

outhouse

Atheistically
from what i can gather, its a money making opportunity.

he has allot of stuff for sale and hes a buisiness man if you get down to it.

in my opinion, hes not stupid he knows where big money lies and hes going after it. If it takes off. He will be worth billion's.

xkatz

I agree with outhouse, not only is he an evangelical, Messianic Jew (like Jews for Jesus), but also he appears to be a con-man.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Anyone ever heard of this guy? He is coming to where I live, and I guess it has caused some problems. We don't have a big Jewish community here, but they seem to be upset that he would call him a Rabbi. So I would like to just know some background on him, and whether or not he should be considered a Rabbi.

Ralph Messer's no more a rabbi than is my mom's cat. He's a particularly egregious Jew for Jesus minister from Colorado, and is notorious for trying to get young Jews to convert to Christianity under the guise of it somehow being "Jewish." He seems to think that taking the same old Protestantism and gussying it up with some Hebrew and a few nods toward Jewish ritual somehow makes it not so Christian.

Jews for Jesus are a fairly offensive bunch in general, and Messer, being quite outspoken and prominent (he appears all the time on Christian cable networks, and at Christian events. He even managed to somehow convince the North Dakota legislature to let him to their opening prayer) is a notably distasteful specimen.

I understand that he is also among the televangelist/Kabbalah Centre types who will sell you all kinds of religious services and products for outrageous sums, under the guise of ministry or mysticism. I have no direct knowledge of that, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Every faith has it's bad apples... this guy is about as bad as it gets.

Needless to say, I reject everything he stands for.:banghead3

Levite

Higher and Higher
Considered a rabbi by who? That's like asking if Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger should be considered a pope.

No, it really isn't. Members of the Catholic church acknowledge as pope whoever is elected by the college of cardinals. In the present case, Joseph Ratzinger. Anyone not accepting him as the pope is, by the standards of the Catholic church, a heretic, and, in theory, is liable to excommunication from the Church. And that is well known to all.

But because of the movemental differences in Judaism that tend to confuse non-Jews, and the ways that most non-Jews don't really have any clear idea of what is and is not acceptable in Jewish thought, people who are not rabbis-- who, in fact, are not even Jewish-- are able to convince non-Jews that they have some sort of legitimate claim to the title of rabbi, or to the identity of being Jewish.

That's part of the reason that Jews for Jesus are so pernicious. They steal Jewish identity for themselves, cloaking their Christianity in it, and create false information amongst the Christian community that somehow it can be acceptable to be both Jewish and Christian at once. And even worse, they prey upon young and uneducated Jews, who may not fully comprehend what they are, and attempt to miseducate these naive youngsters to believe that apostasy is somehow Judaism. And because of the dearth of knowledge in the non-Jewish world about Judaism, and because of the education crisis amongst young Jews today, Jews for Jesus is often much more successful at their goals than would be a Catholic group who tried to deny the pope.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
He even managed to somehow convince the North Dakota legislature to let him to their opening prayer
That is the big reason I was questioning this. I'm from North Dakota, and there was some major objection raised to this guy. I can see why.

I guess he and another evangelical Christian are remodeling an old Jewish temple here in my town (it hasn't been used by Jews since 1990 I believe. For some reason though, it has attracted the want of evangelical Christians ever since the Jewish community here sold it). I guess he will be doing some classes and the like.

The only other time I heard of this guy was last year when he appeared at my in-laws church. From what I heard from my mother-in-law, the guy seemed like a crack pot (he tried to claim that the passover in Exodus had something to do with Christianity. Specifically, he was saying that spreading the blood of the lamb on the door post was done in such a way that it made the cross. That in itself annoyed me because it is just ignorant). But I didn't know too much about him.

truth06

I need someones help. My friend has being going to this church and I am afraid I am losing him. This seems extreme

katterpiller64

Yes I study under this man. He is awesome. The real deal. If you dought someone you should go and listen to that person. Form your own opinion and let God speak to you. You shouldn't judge a man for that measure you shall be judged. It isn't a cult. He was brought up Catholic but his mother is Jewish. He is Christian. And Rabbi simple means teacher.