• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rabbi Friedman

Tumah

Veteran Member
No wonder I'm not converting to Judaism; along with all the new stuff I have to buy now I have to buy a new soul as well?? How much do those cost?!
And then you'd have to buy extra food for the extra Sabbath soul.
No one has ever said being Jewish was cheap.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
And then you'd have to buy extra food for the extra Sabbath soul.
No one has ever said being Jewish was cheap.
I saw some classic style black hats for sale in town earlier and my reaction is pretty much 'NO HASHEM, NOT TODAY.'

So I tried it on, obviously.

Then saw the price.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I saw some classic style black hats for sale in town earlier and my reaction is pretty much 'NO HASHEM, NOT TODAY.'

So I tried it on, obviously.

Then saw the price.
What you need to find, is a shtreimel or a spodik. They sit better on the head, they look awesome and you can just pet them all day. It's like walking around with a long-haired cat on your head.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What you need to find, is a shtreimel or a spodik. They sit better on the head, they look awesome and you can just pet them all day. It's like walking around with a long-haired cat on your head.
I'm glad we both understand that if I ever convert to Charedi Judaism I will be a bloke, for whatever reason.

I want a shtreimel now. I'm pretty sure that's a good enough reason to convert.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm glad we both understand that if I ever convert to Charedi Judaism I will be a bloke, for whatever reason.

Well maybe you'll get a job and be one of the rich ones.

I want a shtreimel now. I'm pretty sure that's a good enough reason to convert.
I'm not Hassidic or Yerushalmi, so I don't have one either. I've worn them a few times, like on Purim. But you're right, it is a good reason and the main factor in my deliberation on becoming Hassidic.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well maybe you'll get a job and be one of the rich ones.
Wait, you mean I don't become rich upon converting to Judaism? False advertising much?

I'm not Hassidic or Yerushalmi, so I don't have one either. I've worn them a few times, like on Purim. But you're right, it is a good reason and the main factor in my deliberation on becoming Hassidic.
That's it, I'm becoming a male Chassidic Jew, who maybe has a job.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Wait, you mean I don't become rich upon converting to Judaism? False advertising much?

Yeah usually if you were broke before you'll be broke afterwards. The real money doesn't start coming in until you're initiated into the graveyard meetings.

That's it, I'm becoming a male Chassidic Jew, who maybe has a job.
...but definitely has a shtreimel.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah usually if you were broke before you'll be broke afterwards. The real money doesn't start coming in until you're initiated into the graveyard meetings.
Wait, I'm not supposed to be attending those?

...but definitely has a shtreimel.
Definitely. I'm gonna look fabulous once I stop crying over how much money I spent on it. It'll be so worth it. Then I'll have to get that job thing, or my wife will, if I'm a bloke. But who needs a job when you can have a shtreimel.

@David1967 sorry for derailing the thread. After 9pm and apparently neither Tumah nor I have anything sensible to say.

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
I came across this gentleman on youtube. I took the time to listen to it. His views on the afterlife, nature of the soul and resurrection I found his most interesting. The video is rather lengthy, but IMHO well worth it. Opinions?

Yes. Quantify vs Quality. Interesting topic.

atanu

Premium Member

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Opinions?
A folksy presentation but not an oily one. He appears to be a confident, professional, and engaging speaker.

Philosophically he's a vitalist, the soul as animator (specifically, the Jewish soul, other kinds not mentioned). Vitalism isn't factually compatible with what we know, but in this context that may not matter.

I agree with Rival that it wouldn't hurt if he were considerably briefer, but he has his own particular style.

His message is optimistic, kind, and coherent within its own rules, and it suggests he has an authentic decency, which is the important thing.

(My own views don't include souls or postmortality, but that's not the question here,)