• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ra and Pharoah

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
in ancient egypt there was the belief that Pharoah was Ra in human form. Much like christianity believes jesus was god in human form.

so might the egyptian experience in the OT by the israelites finally have lead to the eventual ideas jesus was conveying. Especially after his supposed experience in Egypt?

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
in ancient egypt there was the belief that Pharoah was Ra in human form. Much like christianity believes jesus was god in human form.

so might the egyptian experience in the OT by the israelites finally have lead to the eventual ideas jesus was conveying. Especially after his supposed experience in Egypt?

Probably not. Different Culture and all that.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Pharaoh was identified with Horu and with Osir. He was identified with Horu as the living Pharaoh who avenged his dead father, Osir, who lives in the Duat (realm of the dead) as Lord of the Westerners (the dead). When he died he was considered as a form of Osir, being, as it were, raised to life in the afterlife.

Edit, from wiki: The Pyramid Texts (c. 2400–2300 BCE) describe the nature of the pharaoh in different characters as both Horus and Osiris. The pharaoh as Horus in life became the pharaoh as Osiris in death, where he was united with the other gods. New incarnations of Horus succeeded the deceased pharaoh on earth in the form of new pharaohs. Horus - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

Pharaoh was identified with Horu and with Osir. He was identified with Horu as the living Pharaoh who avenged his dead father, Osir, who lives in the Duat (realm of the dead) as Lord of the Westerners (the dead). When he died he was considered as a form of Osir, being, as it were, raised to life in the afterlife.

Edit, from wiki: The Pyramid Texts (c. 2400–2300 BC) describe the nature of the pharaoh in different characters as both Horus and Osiris. The pharaoh as Horus in life became the pharaoh as Osiris in death, where he was united with the other gods. New incarnations of Horus succeeded the deceased pharaoh on earth in the form of new pharaohs. Horus - Wikipedia
Either way (whichever god it was), I don't think it's quite the same. Each and every pharaoh was an incarnation whilst Jesus was a one-timer.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Either way (whichever god it was), I don't think it's quite the same. Each and every pharaoh was an incarnation whilst Jesus was a one-timer.
I agree. I would also argue that it is not made clear in the Christian texts (at least not from my reading) that Jesus is claiming, or that others claim for him, to be a god incarnation. The JWs understand him to be an angel, and as we know there are myriad other understandings. What I am certain of, though, is that this is not a Hebrew idea and is likely Hellenistic.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Edit, from wiki: The Pyramid Texts (c. 2400–2300 BC) describe the nature of the pharaoh in different characters as both Horus and Osiris. The pharaoh as Horus in life became the pharaoh as Osiris in death, where he was united with the other gods. New incarnations of Horus succeeded the deceased pharaoh on earth in the form of new pharaohs. Horus - Wikipedia
so horus would have been like a ray of light? light being associated with the creative/generative spirit?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
so horus would have been like a ray of light? light being associated with the creative/generative spirit?
Not really.

The Wedjat might be something vaguely similar.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I see something about Jesus, Peter and lambs. Don't know about any allusions.
the lamb is a symbol of christ. the word is used no where else in the NT; except in john 21:15 and in revelation to christ.

feed my christs

I think it would be god to notice, that is not Biblical teaching. Bible tells for example that Jesus is the image of God, not God in human form.

in whom we have our redemption, the forgiveness of our sins; who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation...
Colossians 1:14