• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find Out What It Means to Me

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
R-E-S-P-E-C-T... Take care, TCB...

Is respect something that should be afforded to another freely? Or is it something that is earned?

Discuss...

Cooky

Veteran Member

Is respect something that should be afforded to another freely? Or is it something that is earned?

Discuss...

Respect should be a given, to everyone we meet -that's how Jesus was, curing leapers, the blind, deaf and downtrodden. To require respect to be earned, is a disgraceful state of mind that leads to narcissism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I totally believe in giving basic concern for the welfare of everyone. But respect is admiration and that can never be forced, and is earned.

No, respect and admiration are two different things. Respect is basic humanism. It's seeing all humans as our fellow brothers and sisters. But that respect can be taken away, by actions on their part.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
T me respect has levels: (1) Respect and reverence for all life. (2) Respect for humans giving all the benefit of the doubt, until they show otherwise. (2) Respect for women the mothers of humanity. (3) Respect earned for sincerity and wisdom when exhibited by humans

epronovost

Why? And how is this quantified?

Why is respect both earned and granted fiat? Well a portion of respect toward other humans must be granted as basic to respect the "no harm" and "equality" axiom of my moral system. A greater respect, what we would generally consider as someone's honor, can then be earned from that basic point following a variety of actions and general conduct. It cannot be quantified per say, but it can be qualified differently on an individual basis.

epronovost

(2) Respect for women the mothers of humanity.

Ironically I find this disrespectful toward women. It sort of implies that a childless woman is of lower stock, a "failed woman" so to speak and I reject the notion that motherhood (or fatherhood for that matter) increases the value and the virtue of a woman.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
No, respect and admiration are two different things. Respect is basic humanism. It's seeing all humans as our fellow brothers and sisters. But that respect can be taken away, by actions on their part.

It seems to me there are different definitions for the word.

I get your meaning though and I certainly agree.

dianaiad

Discuss...

Offered until 'they' prove they don't deserve it.

See, it's much better to offer respect to someone who doesn't deserve it (you can always 'dial down') than to have to swallow crow, apologize and look REALLY stupid for not offering it to those who do deserve it.

Besides, how sure are we that WE deserve the respect we aren't offering to others?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have been polite with people I totally disagree with whereas I am not entertaining their correctness. JW's that come to my door for example.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Discuss...

if you give it away......it means nothing

earning someone's respect could prove.....disappointing

as a bartering tool.....it is worthless

kinda like kneeling to a stone idol

Thief

Rogue Theologian
there is spirit involved.....maybe the mods should bump this to the religious debate section

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Discuss...

On first meeting, I afford respect until it is earned. If it is not earned over time, I'll still try to be respectful--or at least polite--but will also express my opinion when needed.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Respect should not be given thoughtlessly... nor should it be denied lightly either.

The way I see it, respect is an enabling, empowering attitude, an emotional resource even, and one that is expected to be given as often as it is received.

Above all, it is an odd form of resource that we pay for as we give it away. To give someone respect is to sacrifice a bit of our spontaneousness in the hope that it will put the other party that much more at ease. That is a good thing, but only sustainable if there is adequate retribution.

Proper etiquette, as I understand it, involves giving a measure of respect towards people one does not know well, and paying attention both to signs that it is not earned and that it is no longer necessary to extend it quite as consciously.

When a relationship is sufficiently self-nurturing, respect becomes a natural, even unconscious part of its expression. That is a joyous state that we all should savor, but it can't always be attained.

An often overlooked fact is that denying respect is at least as powerful an attitude as offering it, and arguably more necessary when destructive behavior is clearly acknowledged. But it is also a very serious and risky action, not truly reversible.