• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rāma Nāma Japa

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Namaste. As I begin this post, the Pauṣa Pūrṇimā will be over in 20 minutes in my location. During this tithi, I made it my intention to chant the name Rāma 1,080 times on a Tulsī mālā every solar day. So, today, on my new Tulsī mālā of 108 beads, I did 10 rounds of Rāma Nāma japa, and I intend to do this every day. In my experience, it takes 26 to 30 minutes to do all 10 rounds.

Why Rāma Nāma? The Padma Purāṇa says many wonderful things about it:
  • Those who know Brahman have declared that Rāma is the best of the names of Viṣṇu, whose names are superior to those of all other deities (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).
  • Rāma Nāma is 'the worship of all deities' (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).
  • Rāma Nāma is superior to all mantras (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).
  • Rāma Nāma does not require any effort (The Padma Purana 7.15.90-92).
  • Rāma Nāma 'instantly and thoroughly' destroys any sin (The Padma Purana 7.15.73-74).
  • '[A] sinner goes to the highest position' through Rāma Nāma (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).
  • Yama does not punish those who recollect the name Rāma (The Padma Purana 7.15.73-74).
  • The fruit of recollecting Rāma Nāma is the same as 'reciting the thousand names of Viṣṇu' (The Padma Purana 7.15.90-92).*
  • Pleasure is given by Rāma Nāma (The Padma Purana 7.15.93-94).
  • Rāma Nāma 'gives desired objects' (The Padma Purana 7.15.104-105).
  • Rāma Nāma removes and prevents calamities (The Padma Purana 7.15.99-105).
  • Mukti (mokṣa) is attained through Rāma Nāma (The Padma Purana 7.15.93-94).
  • If you want success in everything, 'remember the name Rāma while on a pilgrimage' (The Padma Purana 7.15.99-103).
  • If you want mukti even though you are the worst of sinners, you will attain it by remembering the name Rāma at the time of death (The Padma Purana 7.15.99-103).
*The fruit of reciting the Thousand Names of Viṣṇu is mentioned by Śiva to his consort: 'O goddess, those best men who recite the thousand names of Viṣṇu with a special commitment, go to the imperishable position (of Viṣṇu)' (The Padma Purana 6.72.1-8).

Works Cited​

The Padma Purana. Translated by N. A. Deshpande, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, 1951. Wisdom Library, wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/the-padma-purana.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Why Rāma Nāma? The Padma Purāṇa says many wonderful things about it:
  • Those who know Brahman have declared that Rāma is the best of the names of Viṣṇu, whose names are superior to those of all other deities (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).
Seems anti Sanathana Dharma at first glance

BUT

Reading the next verse takes care of this shortcoming. Together they are indeed wonderful, including "all" deities, also of all other sects
  • Rāma Nāma is 'the worship of all deities' (The Padma Purana 7.15.86-89).

Last edited: