1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran & the book(bible)

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by DontFearMe, Aug 26, 2004.

1. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167
    Don't fear me,

I smiled when I read your opening post, because I know that in the cases you mention, the Qur'an was not only far ahead of current legislation, but still is so in many countries. Unfortunately, I have lost the article, but I read some months ago of a trial in which the woman wanted a shari'a settlement after a divorce, because that would allow her to keep her dowry. The laws of that country (one of Gt. Britain, Canada or the US, I think) didn't grant her her money. I'll try to retrieve the article.

The divorce process by stages (I have to rehearse that one too) is admirable. Many countries should study it in detail.

And I can't imagine the books of Islam (or any other religion than Judaism + Christianity) having a section where a jealous man is ordered to bring about an abortion on his wife (Numbers 5), or when a miscarriage because of violence is atoned by the husband's receiving payment for the loss of his property (Ex. 21:22).

2. linwood

linwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +861
    What law is paul speaking of here?

3. true blood

true blood Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    The law of Moses?

4. linwood

Ratings:
    +861
    If Paul is refering to a part of the covenant then this statement does not only apply to prophets/preachers.

Would it?

I understand the laws given to Moses are a pact between the Jews and God but if Paul is upholding them then they also apply to Christians.

All Christians, not just the preachers.

5. DontFearMe

DontFearMe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Gosh, not one answer yet. Are you all still rummaging through your bibles? It's ok, I'm used to not getting answered. Will be back to discuss the other issues originally posted.

6. linwood

Ratings:
    +861
    True Blood...

In the "Christian Nation" thread you`re stating that the Laws of Moses don`t apply to todays Christians yet here you`re saying that Paul himself says they do..at least to the ministry.

Which is it?

7. Simple Man

Simple Man New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't Fear Me

The purpose of the law is to remind us and point out our transgressions (Galatians 3:19) or the things we do that are detestable before the Almighty. The reason divorce was added is explained by Jesus in Mark 10:4-9. Hardened hearts towards the Almighty and towards one another, including men and women, results in laws from the Almighty.

Love as spelled out in 1 Corinthians 13:4-9 applies to all genders and when we understand the Spirit of the Almighty we will all realize our true inheritance in eternity and the things of this earth will pass away.

8. kiwimac

kiwimac Brother Napalm of God's Love

Ratings:
    +220
    Religion:
    We'll see
    PW,

You might start here:

[/size]

[size=+1]URL: http://tinyurl.com/6h5mg
    [/size]

[size=+1]