• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran on Pot?

Toxikmynd

Demir
I'd like to see the specific verse on pot in the Quran? I personally see nothing wrong with it. I don't see how it is haram.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You know that Hashish is one of the most popular anythings in Muslim-majority areas of the world, right?

Toxikmynd

Demir
I'm not a pot smoker lol. I'm just asking a question? I have interest in religion & I want to further understand.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I'd like to see the specific verse on pot in the Quran? I personally see nothing wrong with it. I don't see how it is haram.
I'm not a pot smoker lol. I'm just asking a question? I have interest in religion & I want to further understand.

Peace be on you.
Here is what you want (I have deleted few words) :
""
SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL ABUSE

The abuse of drugs and alcohol is one of the most phenomenal problems facing .......society. In spite of the government spending huge amounts on the "drug war," young people are losing their lives and dreams to drugs. Such a thing as the "drug culture" has emerged, and drugs have become the major cause of gang warfare. Alcohol....... has wrecked homes and caused countless deaths in car accidents. Government efforts to curb teenage drinking and drunk driving have had little success. For the addict involved with drugs and alcohol, there seems to be no end in sight.

The Islamic injunction concerning intoxicants, that is the complete forbidding of drugs and alcohol.........is the only solution. Allah commands Muslims in the Holy Qur'an:

"O ye who believe! wine and the game of chance... are only an abomination of Satan's handiwork. So shun each one of them that you may prosper. Satan seeks only to create enmity and hatred among you by means of wine and games of chance, and to keep you back from the remembrance of Allah and from Prayer..." (5:91-92)

The Arabic word "al-khamr" is used in this verse which means anything that intoxicates or alters the mind. Thus, all forms of intoxicants are forbidden. The verse clearly explains the problems created by the use of intoxicants; first, they lead to hatred and enmity amongst people, causing murder, violence, immoral behavior etc.; and secondly they lead people away from Allah and His religion. Allah wants the believers to keep their minds pure and clean, so that they worship Him fully. A Muslim may not offer prayers (salaat) when he is not in full possession of his senses, even if that is caused by excessive emotion or a state of sleep. Certainly, a mind that is intoxicated is not able to focus on Allah.

Finally, it is important to note that drugs and alcohol are used as a means of escape from overwhelming difficulties and responsibilities. The attitude of one who has truly embraced the teachings of Islam cannot be compatible with this state of despair. A true Muslim places his reliance on Allah for the relief of hardship. When the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) proclaimed Allah's commandment concerning intoxicants, his followers broke their pots and jugs of wine until the streets flowed with it. This is the example for the new convert to Islam. Some hadith of the Holy Prophet about intoxicants are:

1. If a large amount of anything causes intoxication, (even) a small amount of it is forbidden.
  2. An undutiful son, a gambler, one who casts up what he is given, and one who is addicted to wine will not enter paradise.
  3. Tariq bin Suwaid asked the Holy Prophet about wine and he forbade him. When he told him that he used it only as medicine, the Holy Prophet replied, "It is not a medicine, but is a disease."
Islam understands that it may not be easy for a person to break away from addiction, so it does not exclude or discourage the use of outside resources, such as counseling or rehabilitation. But the most potent tool is prayer and begging Allah's mercy. ""
Source:Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
That is almost exactly the same as the Buddhist teaching against intoxicants.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
My understanding is that it clouds the mind which affects judgement. The Quran forbids what clouds the mind, what intoxicates and what has the natural potential in harming the body (am I being redundant?!?!).

There are exceptions of course and that's another subject.

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
Peace be on you.
Here is what you want (I have deleted few words) :
""
SUBSTANCE AND ALCOHOL ABUSE

The abuse of drugs and alcohol is one of the most phenomenal problems facing .......society. In spite of the government spending huge amounts on the "drug war," young people are losing their lives and dreams to drugs. Such a thing as the "drug culture" has emerged, and drugs have become the major cause of gang warfare. Alcohol....... has wrecked homes and caused countless deaths in car accidents. Government efforts to curb teenage drinking and drunk driving have had little success. For the addict involved with drugs and alcohol, there seems to be no end in sight.

The Islamic injunction concerning intoxicants, that is the complete forbidding of drugs and alcohol.........is the only solution. Allah commands Muslims in the Holy Qur'an:

"O ye who believe! wine and the game of chance... are only an abomination of Satan's handiwork. So shun each one of them that you may prosper. Satan seeks only to create enmity and hatred among you by means of wine and games of chance, and to keep you back from the remembrance of Allah and from Prayer..." (5:91-92)

The Arabic word "al-khamr" is used in this verse which means anything that intoxicates or alters the mind. Thus, all forms of intoxicants are forbidden. The verse clearly explains the problems created by the use of intoxicants; first, they lead to hatred and enmity amongst people, causing murder, violence, immoral behavior etc.; and secondly they lead people away from Allah and His religion. Allah wants the believers to keep their minds pure and clean, so that they worship Him fully. A Muslim may not offer prayers (salaat) when he is not in full possession of his senses, even if that is caused by excessive emotion or a state of sleep. Certainly, a mind that is intoxicated is not able to focus on Allah.

Finally, it is important to note that drugs and alcohol are used as a means of escape from overwhelming difficulties and responsibilities. The attitude of one who has truly embraced the teachings of Islam cannot be compatible with this state of despair. A true Muslim places his reliance on Allah for the relief of hardship. When the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) proclaimed Allah's commandment concerning intoxicants, his followers broke their pots and jugs of wine until the streets flowed with it. This is the example for the new convert to Islam. Some hadith of the Holy Prophet about intoxicants are:

1. If a large amount of anything causes intoxication, (even) a small amount of it is forbidden.
  2. An undutiful son, a gambler, one who casts up what he is given, and one who is addicted to wine will not enter paradise.
  3. Tariq bin Suwaid asked the Holy Prophet about wine and he forbade him. When he told him that he used it only as medicine, the Holy Prophet replied, "It is not a medicine, but is a disease."
Islam understands that it may not be easy for a person to break away from addiction, so it does not exclude or discourage the use of outside resources, such as counseling or rehabilitation. But the most potent tool is prayer and begging Allah's mercy. ""
Source:Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
cannabis isn't a drug, and isn't addictive :)

and if anyone wants to argue this fact ....... Your on your own , and im getting old :)

Rasta peace ;)

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Al-Insan 76.5. As to the Righteous, they shall drink of a Cup mixed with Kafur,-

Kafur is a region and name for Cannabis, it isn't Henna (Copher) as that isn't drinkable or a pleasant soothing drink. Cannabis is not an intoxicant, as it joins on to natural receptors in the brain, and instead regulates firing of neuro pathways, that is a food. :innocent:

Lyndon

Premium Member
Anyone who thinks cannabis is not an intoxicant is smoking parsley!!

muhammad_isa

I agree with you .. it is an intoxicant.
However, we must be careful what we label as 'haram', imo .. there are different levels of sinning, and if 'the doctor' prescribes it, then it probably is best to take it (at the prescribed dose!)

Cannabis & alcohol are not equivalent .. that is not to say that cannabis can not harm you, particularly in large frequent doses .. better to leave it alone .. unless you are suffering from particular kinds of sickness..

..and "Allah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful" --- (but also "Strict in Punishment")

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
An intoxicant by the definition of the word in English, is in someway toxic; cannabis doesn't work by intoxication, and if you have too much, no matter how strong it is, it can't kill you, therefore it is not toxic. :rolleyes:

Most of the religions globally have been established by people using cannabis, and if you're going to remove it, you might as well throw the books out, as that was originally printed on hemp paper as well. :innocent:

The topic becomes tricky if we use the Arabic word for intoxicant, which is ‘Khamr’ from the root word ‘Khamara’, which means ‘to cover’; therefore anything that ‘covers’ the mind is prohibited. :confused:

Lyndon

Premium Member
According to the dictionary, intoxicant meaning a substance that is toxic to the body is only one definition, the other definition is something that alters your state of reality.

I think in the Koran, and the Buddhist scriptures, intoxication refers to substances that alter your reality, or get you "high" to put it simply. The focus is on having a clear mind and being in full control of your faculties, Pot does not contribute to that, same as alcohol. Pakistani Muslims will tell you that they eat the tip of the flower of Opium poppies when sick and in need of sleep, but that it is a medicinal use which is permitted, If there were actual medical uses for marijuana that no other medicine that doesn't get you high would treat, then I'm sure that would be permitted too, both by Muslims and Buddhists.

Last edited:

mainliner

An intoxicant by the definition of the word in English, is in someway toxic; cannabis doesn't work by intoxication, and if you have too much, no matter how strong it is, it can't kill you, therefore it is not toxic:
resent research has said it takes up to 70g to overdose ......... You go white and vomit !! That's it :)

Lyndon

Premium Member
I've heard plenty of stories of new smokers having that reaction on much much less than 70g.

Anyway as I already pointed out the main dictionary definition of intoxicant does not only refer to substances that poison your body, but also substances that alter your brain and perception of reality(like LSD and pot). Unless you want to have an argument with the writers of the dictionary.

mainliner

I've heard plenty of stories of new smokers having that reaction on much much less than 70g.
yep ... Off one joint

its just like when people cant hold there drink ..... But that's just classed as stupidly.

there's far to many medical benefits for it to be illegal..........its a crime its illegal in my eyes :)

Lyndon

Premium Member
You're obviously in the wrong thread, this is not a discussion of whether Pot should be legal, its a discussion of the Koran's opinion on what attitude a devout religious person should have towards pot.

mainliner

You're obviously in the wrong thread, this is not a discussion of whether Pot should be legal, its a discussion of the Koran's opinion on what attitude a devout religious person should have towards pot.
hail the Quran;)

i love that book