• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran has the best guidance about war and peace.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
Verse 9:111 is very clear. Allah promises heaven to those who "fight in the cause of Allah. They kill and are killed".

Sounds like ISIS to me.

I agree, it sounds like ISIS if you read this verse in isolation
But, the story begins in verse 107
Have you read it?

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
It's not the recruits giving orders to fly planes into buildings.

Yes, that is true. You are missing the point here
The leaders are those who give the orders, only 5% of them have advanced Islamic knowledge
let's say 2.5% of them interpret the Quran in a radical way and 2.5% just want power

Now let me ask you this;
do people have to reject the Quran for the reason that it has different interpretations because 2.5% interpret it wrong?
2.5% is insignificant

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, that is true. You are missing the point here
The leaders are those who give the orders, only 5% of them have advanced Islamic knowledge
let's say 2.5% of them interpret the Quran in a radical way and 2.5% just want power

Now let me ask you this;
do people have to reject the Quran for the reason that it has different interpretations because 2.5% interpret it wrong?
2.5% is insignificant

That's not what your link said, what it did say is very few young recruits have a good knowledge of the Qur'an.

Do you have any data on the religious knowledge of the leaders.

The book is open to interpretation. Some interpret is one way some another. Like all holy books good and bad can come from them.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
That's not what your link said, what it did say is very few young recruits have a good knowledge of the Qur'an.

Do you have any data on the religious knowledge of the leaders.

The book is open to interpretation. Some interpret is one way some another. Like all holy books good and bad can come from them.

The link says 5% have advance Islamic knowledge
have you read it?

stevecanuck

I agree, it sounds like ISIS if you read this verse in isolation
But, the story begins in verse 107
Have you read it?

Not according to Yusuf Ali. He has 9:111 starting a new section. If you read it again you will see that the subject is changed.

muhammad_isa

Not according to Yusuf Ali. He has 9:111 starting a new section. If you read it again you will see that the subject is changed.
What's your "beef" ?

Most nations fight wars..
Muslims should only fight "for the sake of the God" ..
..nothing sinister about that.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim

Here is Yousuf Ali The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation
There is no indication that the verse is not connected to previous verses

Another thing, read the verses yourself, it is very clear that
1. The verse is connected to previous verses
2. The whole chapter is talking about people who wanted to harm Muslims during a battle (here)
It is no surprise for Muslims to kill their enemy in a battle field

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
Yes i have, it is talking of recruits, not leadership

My point is still valid
I know for a fact that terrorist groups form 1% of the whole Muslim population (I can't find the source now. Maybe someone who is honest enough post the source)
That means the leaders of these groups are below 1%

My point,
do people have to reject the Quran for the reason that it has different interpretations because 1% interpret it wrong?
1% is insignificant

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My point is still valid
I know for a fact that terrorist groups form 1% of the whole Muslim population (I can't find the source now. Maybe someone who is honest enough post the source)

My point,
do people have to reject the Quran for the reason that it has different interpretations because 1% interpret it wrong?
1% is insignificant

I know only a tiny fraction of muslims become terrorist, some time ago at the height of ISIS i read it was around 0.6% off all muslims. (Sorry, i looked but couldn't find the source)

It means the leaders are less than 1% of all muslim but it says nothing about how the leaders view the Qur'an. I know for a fact that al-Baghdadi had a PhD in islamic studies.

It is significant for the families of those killed in terrorist attacks.

stevecanuck

Here is Yousuf Ali The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation
There is no indication that the verse is not connected to previous verses

I have a paper copy of his translation from Al Azhar University in Cairo. In it he presents the verses in sections and explains why he does so.

Another thing, read the verses yourself, it is very clear that
1. The verse is connected to previous verses
2. The whole chapter is talking about people who wanted to harm Muslims during a battle (here)
It is no surprise for Muslims to kill their enemy in a battle field

This verse concerns the so-called battle of Tabuk. Mohamed marched his army for two weeks across the desert in an attempt to do battle with the Byzantines. There were no "people who wanted to harm Muslims". That lame excuse has a layer of dust and mold on it.

stevecanuck

My point is still valid

My point,
1% is insignificant

This is a disingenuous argument. Do you really think that only 1% of a population would be allowed to act as they do without support. Wouldn't the other 99% try to stop them? The number that really matters, and of course can't be known, is the percentage that supports them. Terrorism doesn't happen without a lot of cheering and financing.

Consider Pakistan as an example of how a plurality of Muslims feel. It has the death penalty for those who "insult Islam" (like Asia Bibi). Political leaders knew they had to support that law if they wanted to win elections, because the majority of Pakistani Muslims support it. It's reasonable to assume they support the killing of infidels in other situation as well.

Also, using your logic we can assume that only a few 10's of thousands of Americans were upset at the election of Donald Trump in 2016, because that's how many went into the streets to protest. Your logic says the remaining 99+% of Americans were fine with the election.