• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qur'an disapproves child marraige (of Aisha)

Union

[068:004] And verily, you (O Muhammad SAW) are on an exalted standard of character.​

What type a lofty character Prophet was he if he really married a child ? To know the truth please read along ....

child-marriage.jpg
islam-child-bride.jpg

MuslimChildMarriage.jpg

Union

The age of Aisha when married to Prophet Muhammad is probably one of the hot topic among the concerned people in and out of Islam . Though Sahih Hadith related that Aisha was 06/07 years old when betrothed by the Prophet and 09 years old when taken to home . There are several Sahih Ahadith supporting to this fact though a Hadith in Sahih Bukhari reports that she was 06 years while another Hadith in Sahih Muslim reported that she was 07 years . Though 06 or 07 could not make a big difference but one Sahih Hadith should be proven false if the other one is right.

On the other hand there are more than a dozens of other Islamic sources report that Aisha was between 17-19 years when she was married to the Prophet . For details click here : AYESHA AGE THE MYTH OF  A PROVERBIAL WEDDING EXPOSED

Prophet Muhammad is the last prophet for human kind and he is the role-model for whole all. Therefore it becomes difficult for an open mind person to accept the fact the Prophet married 06/09 years old Aisha when he was already as old as 54 years. Even a Muslim never gives his 06 years daughter to a old man knowingly.

Whatsoever, if we try to find the guideline from the Qur’an whether Almighty ALLAH approves child marriage or not – the whole issue just don’t support Prophet’s such controversial marriage. In this point we have to remember that Prophet Muhammad was obliged to follow the commandments of Almighty GOD and he could in no means do otherwise . The following verses confirms this fact :

[006:050] Say: "I tell you not that with me are the treasures of God, nor do I know what is hidden, nor do I tell you I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me." Say: "can the blind be held equal to the seeing?" Will ye then consider not?

[007:203] If thou bring them not a revelation, they say: "Why hast thou not got it together?" Say: "I but follow what is revealed to me from my Lord: this is (nothing but) lights from your Lord, and Guidance, and mercy, for any who have faith."

[010:015] And when Our clear communications are recited to them, those who hope not for Our meeting say: Bring a Quran other than this or change it. Say: It does not beseem me that I should change it of myself; I follow naught but what is revealed to me; surely I fear, if I disobey my Lord, the punishment of a mighty day.

[046:009] Say: I am not the first of the apostles, and I do not know what will be done with me or with you: I do not follow anything but that which is revealed to me, and I am nothing but a plain warner.

[005:048] And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it, therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth that has come to you; for every one of you did We appoint a law and a way, and if Allah had pleased He would have made you (all) a single people, but that He might try you in what He gave you, therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let you know that in which you differed;

[005:049] And that you should judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires, and be cautious of them, lest they seduce you from part of what Allah has revealed to you; but if they turn back, then know that Allah desires to afflict them on account of some of their faults; and most surely many of the people are transgressors.

Now we will InshALLAH look into in the Qur’an why Prophet Muhammad was obliged to marry an adult lady and not a child.

01. Qur’an emphatically mentioned to marry righteous/believing (Muminah) women. This never been an exception in Qur’an :

[005:005] This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

[004:025] If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women, they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess: And God hath full knowledge about your faith. Ye are one from another: Wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dowers, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not lustful, nor taking paramours: when they are taken in wedlock, if they fall into shame, their punishment is half that for free women. This (permission) is for those among you who fear sin; but it is better for you that ye practise self-restraint. And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

[033:049] O ye who believe! When ye marry believing women, and then divorce them before ye have touched them, no period of 'Iddat have ye to count in respect of them: so give them a present. And set them free in a handsome manner.

[024:032] Marry those among you who are single, or the virtuous ones among yourselves, male or female: if they are in poverty, God will give them means out of His grace: for God encompasseth all, and he knoweth all things.

To become a believing Muslim you need to have an intellectual mind to pursue and follow the whole system of religion. A child of 06/09 years old girl will never grasp what is the system of religion. There are so many aspects in Qur’an to take into the consideration to call a person Mumin , but the following verse suffices to prove this point :

[002:177] It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in
-God and
-the Last Day, and
-the Angels, and
-the Book, and
-the Messengers;
-to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, -for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves;
-to be steadfast in prayer and,
- practice regular charity;
-to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and
-to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic.
Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing.

It was impossible for Child Aisha to ponder and follow the above criterion to be a believing women as she could manage it only in her adulthood. The Hadith reported how playful and childish was Aisha during her marriage to the Prophet Muhammad . She was not even aware that she was getting marriage with Prophet .

A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married her when she was seven years old, and he was taken to his house as a bride when she was nine, and her dolls were with her; and when he (the Holy Prophet) died she was eighteen years old.
Sahih Muslim 8:3311

Narrated Aisha: When the Prophet married me, my mother came to me and made me enter the house (of the Prophet) and nothing surprised me but the coming of Allah's Apostle to me in the forenoon.
Sahih Bukhari 7:62:90

Narrated 'Aisha: I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)
Sahih Bukhari 8:73:151

Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet was screening me with his Rida' (garment covering the upper part of the body) while I was looking at the Ethiopians who were playing in the courtyard of the mosque. (I continued watching) till I was satisfied. So you may deduce from this event how a little girl (who has not reached the age of puberty) who is eager to enjoy amusement should be treated in this respect.
Sahih Bukhari 7:62:163

Lady Aisha was a teen ager during her stay with the prophet all along. Like any immature person she was also juvenile and childish. She didn’t have any clue that she was engaged with Prophet Muhammad and ought to marry him. She was a playful kid and was holding a doll when entering into Prophet’s house. If those facts are true then obviously Prophet Muhammad went against the rule of GOD by marrying a girl who didn't have any clue of Iman in such.

Union

02. There is a verse in chapter 04 which gives us a clue for the minimum age of marriage though the context is about the orphans :

[004:006] Make trial of orphans until they reach the age of marriage; if then ye find sound judgment in them, release their property to them; but consume it not wastefully, nor in haste against their growing up. If the guardian is well-off, Let him claim no remuneration, but if he is poor, let him have for himself what is just and reasonable. When ye release their property to them, take witnesses in their presence: But all-sufficient is God in taking account.

The above verse related the age of marriage in a stage of life when one is endowed with sound judgment and smart enough to handle the assets and wealth in his/her possession . Though this verse is specifically talking about orphan but as human both orphan and non-orphan are under the same category of physical and mental phases .

Please note, in 4:6 it also warns those entrusted with the wealth not to consume or waste it before they grow up, further reinforcing the idea that the period being referred to is when grown up. To conclusively prove this however, we can also look at other verses which discuss giving orphans the wealth owed to them [6:152, 17:34]. The Arabic word used in these verses is when they are "shudud", which means physical maturity / the period from adolescence to adulthood. Since the orphans can only receive their wealth once "shudud", and from 4:6 we know they become eligible for it after having reached marriageable age, this can only mean marriageable age begins from adolescence onwards. There is no other possibility.

This conclusion can also be verified in the story of Jospeh, who when first found in the well was a boy (Arabic: ghulam, see 12:19), then taken into care, then when he reached "shudud" (i.e. became physically mature) the female of the household tried to seduce him [12:22-23].

In addition, the usage of this word "shudud" in The Quran suggests reasonable physical strength, i.e. at least several years into adolescence [18:82, 28:14] which also agrees with most Classical Arabic dictionaries which average about from the age of 17 for the word "shudud", which also happens to coincide with when a significant number of orphans would meet the two conditions for receiving their wealth. Many countries begin to grant extra rights at the age of 16, and many give full rights at 18, so this seems fairly close to worldwide practice.

Aisha being a child of 6/9 years old , fond to play with dolls was indeed not even close to be able to handle any earthly issues let alone having sound judgment and smart financial credit ability .

Union

03. According to Qur’an when a marriage is executed and the amount of dowry is fixed , the bride should be smart enough to negotiate with bridegroom to its transactions . she may can keep it for her future necessety or to decide forfeit it to the bridegroom .

[4:4] You shall give the women their due dowries, equitably. If they willingly forfeit anything, then you may accept it; it is rightfully yours.

[4:24] Also prohibited are the women who are already married, unless they flee their disbelieving husbands who are at war with you. These are GOD's commandments to you. All other categories are permitted for you in marriage, so long as you pay them their due dowries. You shall maintain your morality, by not committing adultery. Thus, whoever you like among them, you shall pay them the dowry decreed for them. You commit no error by mutually agreeing to any adjustments to the dowry. GOD is Omniscient, Most Wise.

[4:21] How could you take it back, after you have been intimate with each other, and they had taken from you a solemn pledge?

[2:237] If you divorce them before touching them, but after you had set the dowry for them, the compensation shall be half the dowry, unless they voluntarily forfeit their rights, or the party responsible for causing the divorce chooses to forfeit the dowry. To forfeit is closer to righteousness. You shall maintain the amicable relations among you. GOD is Seer of everything you do.

Lady Aisha didn’t have any clue what the marriage is , let alone in a position of negotiating the issue of dowry with her husband . This point is also proving the absurdity of the child marriage of Aisha with Prophet Muhammad.

04. If for some reasons the relatiuon of marriage becomes bitter the bride should be smart enough try to overcome the complexity of the odds and bads. If necessary the women should be engaging the arbitrator to deal the issue. This is only possible only when a bride is mature enough to pursue the difficulties she may encounter. A child like Aisha was not any means able to handle those issues if it would may necessary.

[4:35] If a couple fears separation, you shall appoint an arbitrator from his family and an arbitrator from her family; if they decide to reconcile, GOD will help them get together. GOD is Omniscient, Cognizant.

[4:128] If a woman senses oppression or desertion from her husband, the couple shall try to reconcile their differences, for conciliation is best for them. Selfishness is a human trait, and if you do good and lead a righteous life, GOD is fully Cognizant of everything you do.

[4:129] You can never be equitable in dealing with more than one wife, no matter how hard you try. Therefore, do not be so biased as to leave one of them hanging (neither enjoying marriage, nor left to marry someone else). If you correct this situation and maintain righteousness, GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

Union

05. Let us ponder on the following verse where the marriage is prescribed with the women who are free or in bondage:

[004:025] If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women, they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess: And God hath full knowledge about your faith. Ye are one from another: Wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dowers, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not lustful, nor taking paramours: when they are taken in wedlock, if they fall into shame, their punishment is half that for free women. This (permission) is for those among you who fear sin; but it is better for you that ye practice self-restraint. And God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Interesting to note here that when prescribing marriage with free women, their qualification is prescribed in the verse by Arabic word &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1581;&#1589;&#1606;&#1575;&#1578; &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1572;&#1605;&#1606;&#1575;&#1578; < free chaste believing women > , which must be categorizing women with proper knowledge and reasoning of mind to the system of Islam . This is discussed in point no.01 already. The new thing to mention here is the way the women in bondage are expressed to marry. The Arabic word is used in the verse is &#1601;&#1578;&#1610;&#1575;&#1578;&#1603;&#1605; &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1572;&#1605;&#1606;&#1575;&#1578; < believing young women > . The term ‘Fattat’ is used the verse means young ladies . We can see the same word used elsewhere in Qur'an to denote the youths :

[021:060] They said, "We heard a youth ( fatan) talk of them: He is called Abraham."

[012:036] Now with him there came into the prison two young men (fatayani ). Said one of them: "I see myself (in a dream) pressing wine." said the other: "I see myself (in a dream) carrying bread on my head, and birds are eating, thereof." "Tell us" (they said) "The truth and meaning thereof: for we see thou art one that doth good (to all)."

[018:010] Behold, the youths (alfityatu) betook themselves to the Cave: they said, "Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!"

[018:013] We relate to thee their story in truth: they were youths (fityatun) who believed in their Lord, and We advanced them in guidance .

Hence whomever you may marry whether free women or bondage women – the brides need to be matured and young enough to understand and follow the tenets of Islam .

06. There are verses within the Qur’an where the wives of the Prophet Muhammad are specifically mentioned along with the surrounding circumstances occurred during their lifetimes and to establish the principles of Islam. Not a single instances it may appear that any of his wife was child. Rather it appears that they were fully matured women with enough intellect . For the perusal of the fact we are producing some verses of the Qur’an :

- [033:028] O Prophet! Say to thy Consorts: "If it be that ye desire the life of this World, and its glitter,- then come! I will provide for your enjoyment and set you free in a handsome manner.

Note : How a child like Aisha could desire the earthly matters which could offend GOD , the Almighty .

-[033:030] O Consorts of the Prophet! If any of you were guilty of evident unseemly conduct, the Punishment would be doubled to her, and that is easy for God

Note : Double punishment to a Child , no it is not reasonable . As Almighty GOD never do injustice, this verse must be subjecting to only by bearing in mind that all of Prophet’s wives were matured enough to fall into the mortal vice .

-[033:032] O Consorts of the Prophet! Ye are not like any of the (other) women: if ye do fear (God), be not too complacent of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire: but speak ye a speech (that is) just.

Note : Again this verses predict all of Prophet’s wives as adult and hence to conversate with people justly .

- [33:53] O you who believe, do not enter the prophet's homes unless you are given permission to eat, nor shall you force such an invitation in any manner. If you are invited, you may enter. When you finish eating, you shall leave; do not engage him in lengthy conversations. This used to hurt the prophet, and he was too shy to tell you. But GOD does not shy away from the truth. If you have to ask his wives for something, ask them from behind a barrier. This is purer for your hearts and their hearts. You are not to hurt the messenger of GOD. You shall not marry his wives after him, for this would be a gross offense in the sight of GOD.

Note : The etiquette of talking with wives of the Prophet is prescribed here . The barrier is needed to talk with adult women not with child .
Hence this verse also proves that all the wives of the Prophet were adult .

- [33:59] O prophet, tell your wives, your daughters, and the wives of the believers that they shall lengthen their garments. Thus, they will be recognized (as righteous women) and avoid being insulted. GOD is Forgiver, Most Merciful.

Note : The dress code prescribed for the wives of the Prophet was needed only and if only they were adult . Qur’an never prescribed those type of dress code for child .

Conclusion: Though Qur’an didn’t specifically mention the marriage of Aisha with prophet Muhammad but gives quite a substantial amounts of guidelines that only matured aged women with adequate intelligence should be offered for wedlock . Since this is the coomandment of GOD , hence there was no option left for Prophet Muhammad to follow those guidelines of marriage and marry an adult lady not a child as deceived in Hadith literature .

Union

Supposed evidence of Pedophilia in Qur'an :

After a pains-taking quest, the anti-Islamic propagandist could find so far only one verse in Qur'an which according to them is supporting the child marriage . Though they are mainly deducing this conclusion heavily relying on the commentators of the Qur'an and the Ahadith created to belittle the character of Prophet Muhammad when looking into Qur'an-only this claims perish like a vapor . Here the anti-Islamic website says about it :

Source:Pedophilia in the Qur'an

..After the mention of women who have not had their marriage consummated, the Qur'an goes further - discussing the women who need to observe the 'iddah, and the span of time required. We see in Qur'an 65.4:
&#1608;&#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1575;&#1574;&#1610; &#1610;&#1574;&#1587;&#1606; &#1605;&#1606; &#1575;&#1604;&#1605;&#1581;&#1610;&#1590; &#1605;&#1606; &#1606;&#1587;&#1575;&#1574;&#1603;&#1605; &#1575;&#1606; &#1575;&#1585;&#1578;&#1576;&#1578;&#1605; &#1601;&#1593;&#1583;&#1578;&#1607;&#1606; &#1579;&#1604;&#1575;&#1579;&#1577; &#1575;&#1588;&#1607;&#1585; &#1608;&#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1575;&#1574;&#1610; &#1604;&#1605; &#1610;&#1581;&#1590;&#1606; &#1608;&#1575;&#1608;&#1604;&#1575;&#1578; &#1575;&#1604;&#1575;&#1581;&#1605;&#1575;&#1604; &#1575;&#1580;&#1604;&#1607;&#1606; &#1575;&#1606; &#1610;&#1590;&#1593;&#1606; &#1581;&#1605;&#1604;&#1607;&#1606; &#1608;&#1605;&#1606; &#1610;&#1578;&#1602; &#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1607; &#1610;&#1580;&#1593;&#1604; &#1604;&#1607; &#1605;&#1606; &#1575;&#1605;&#1585;&#1607; &#1610;&#1587;&#1585;&#1575;

Transliteration: Waalla-ee ya-isna mina almaheedi min nisa-ikum ini irtabtum faAAiddatuhunna thalathatu ashhurin waalla-ee lam yahidna waolatu al-ahmali ajaluhunna an yadaAAna hamlahunna waman yattaqi Allaha yajAAal lahu min amrihi yusran

Yusuf Ali: Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy.
Qur'an Text/Transliteration 65:4

Here the 'Iddah is prescribed to three categories of women:

First the phrase: “Yaisna min al-maheedhi” which means “those women who are desperate of menses” is an indication to women who reached the stage of menstruation but do not menstruate and of those who reached menopause. Desperate of menses underlines that it concerns women who though reached the age, fail to menstruate too. Their 'Iddah period is three months.

Next comes, “Wallaee Lam yahidhna” which means “those who have not menstruated yet” This group of females are pre-pubescent girls who have not yet menstruated. Here the 'Iddah prescribed for them is equal to the previous group of women (ie. three months).

Lastly, the women who are pregnant - their prescribed 'iddah is until they have given birth.

The above translation of the verse masks the real meaning, so the verse has to be studied in Arabic. The true meaning of this verse and its implications are explicitly endorsed by Tafsirs as will be shown below.
[edit] Detailed analysis of the verse in Arabic

The Qur'an says in Arabic:
&#1608;&#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1575;&#1574;&#1610; &#1604;&#1605; &#1610;&#1581;&#1590;&#1606;" &#1601;&#1593;&#1583;&#1578;&#1607;&#1606; &#1579;&#1604;&#1575;&#1579;&#1577; &#1571;&#1588;&#1607;&#1585;
"and those who never had menses" (because they are underage)
Quran 65:4
Tafsir from al-Islam.com
The transliteration of the verse and the meaning of each portion of the verse is given below:
Wa Al-L&#257;'&#299; Lam Ya&#293;i&#273;na
wa ( &#1608;&#1614; ) = and
Al-L&#257;'&#299; ( &#1608;&#1614;&#1575;&#1604;&#1604;&#1614;&#1617;&#1575;&#1574;&#1616;&#1610; ) = for those who
Lam ( &#1604;&#1614;&#1605;&#1618; ) = did not (negation in past tense) [2]
Ya&#293;i&#273;na ( &#1610;&#1614;&#1581;&#1616;&#1590;&#1618;&#1606;&#1614; ) = menstruate.
Ya&#293;i&#273;na comes from the verbal root H-Y-D ( &#1581;&#1610;&#1590; ) which means "to menstruate".
The addition of prefix "Ya" and suffix "na" to the root "HYD" shows that the word is used in used in third person, feminine gender, plural, imperfective aspect.[3]

The imperfective aspect, by itself lacks any tense feature. [2] The tensed negatives like lam ( &#1604;&#1614;&#1605;&#1618; ) (negation in past tense), lan ( &#1604;&#1606; ) (negation in future tense), laa ( &#1604;&#1614; ) (negation in present tense) combined with imperfectives decide the tense in this case.
Thus lam Yadrus = He did not study.
In the verse 65:4, Lam Ya&#293;i&#273;na = 'those who did not menstruate'.
Further the imperfective verb in the context of lam ( &#1604;&#1614;&#1605;&#1618; ) (past tensed negatives) is in the Jussive mood. [2] From Wikipedia:
The mood is similar to the cohortative mood, in that it expresses plea, insistence, imploring, self-encouragement, wish, desire, intent, command, purpose or consequence. In some languages, the two are distinguished in that cohortative occurs in the first person and the jussive in the second or third. It is found in Arabic, where it is called the &#1605;&#1580;&#1586;&#1608;&#1605;, majzum. The rules governing the jussive in Arabic are somewhat complex. [4]
Supporting these meanings, from Lane's lexicon, Lam (&#1604;) means 'not':
Lam = &#1604;
lam = Negative particle giving to the present the sense of the perfect; not.[5]
Lane's Lexicon for Lam
From the Lexicon, Arabic word for Menstruate is 'Haiz' (&#1581;&#1610;&#1590;):
Ha-Ya-Dad (Ha-Alif-Dad) = To have her courses, menstruate; Her blood flowed from her womb, to attain the age of menstruation, to make a thing flow.
hada vb. (1) impf. act. 65:4
mahid n.m. 2:222
Lane's Lexicon, Volume 2, page: 322, 323[6]
Lane's Lexicon for Haa

Conclusion:It is clear the verse 65:4 is given as a command to be followed (Jussive mood).

The verse itself refers to those women who did not menstruate(in all of past time until the present time), which can include children or girls before puberty or attainment of menarche (first period).

Therefore, the exact translation of this portion of Qur'an 65:4 is "Not menstruated yet" ( &#1604;&#1614;&#1605;&#1618; &#1610;&#1614;&#1581;&#1616;&#1590;&#1618;&#1606;&#1614; ). In Arabic, the menstruating process is called HAIDH ( &#1581;&#1610;&#1590; ). It is possible to turn this noun into its verb form. Like we do it with menstruation, "menstruate" is YAHIDH ( &#1610;&#1614;&#1581;&#1616;&#1590; ). But it is LAM ( &#1604;&#1614;&#1605;&#1618; ) that appears before YAHIDH and the NA ( &#1606;&#1614; ) associated with YAHIDH and this puts Islamic apologists in a quandary because it cannot have any other meaning than “Not menstruated yet”. This is the appropriate English translation.

This verse 65:4 should be read as a continuation of Qur'an 33:49. If a woman who has not been used for sex should not have to observe any Iddah at all, as mentioned in 33:49, what is the reason for the prescribed Iddah for those women who have not yet menstruated? This is a clear indication marrying pre-pubescent girls and having sex with them is sanctioned by the Qur'an.

The phrase found in Qur'an 65:4 as "Wallaee Lam Yahidhna" is sometimes mistranslated by apologists. Exact meaning of the phrase is available in Tafsirs (Quran interpretations). Let Mufassirs clarify the issue of "Wallaee Lam Yahidhna":
[edit]

Now you have read it all . Just notice the red color text that they want to prove that verse 65.4 is talking about the bride never menstruate are premature girls , they use bracket to uphold their opinion.

Whatsoever , the main argument they relied on the negative past particle 'Lam' , which means 'did not' . So according to them when the verse says 'they didn't menstruate' they assume these brides didn't menstruate from their birth , hence they are prepubescent girls .

So , if any statement be made like ' Mrs.Muhammad lam (did not) eat food ' , to them Mrs. Muhammad had been starving from the day one of her birth and never eat anything for last 06-09 years.:D:D

Whatsoever , not in only Arabic but in any other language there is a difference between 'did not' and 'never' . If somehow that verse used 'never' , 'not at all' (&#1603;&#1614;&#1604;&#1575;&#1617;&#1614;) , then their argument may hold water .

On the top of the matter the preceding verses quite clearly explained this issue . 'Lam' <not> is the past negative particle which can point a start period anytime of the past life , not necessarily from the date of birth .

Remember the title of the chapter is 'Divorce' (Al-Talaq) and the period of this observation of menstruation of those 03 categories of women also start from the time of divorce , as stated in verse 65.01 . Read along :

[065:001] O Prophet! When ye do divorce women, divorce them at their prescribed periods, and count (accurately), their prescribed periods: And fear God your Lord: and turn them not out of their houses, nor shall they (themselves) leave, except in case they are guilty of some open lewdness, those are limits set by God: and any who transgresses the limits of God, does verily wrong his (own) soul: thou knowest not if perchance God will bring about thereafter some new situation.

[065:002] Thus when they fulfil their term appointed, either take them back on equitable terms or part with them on equitable terms; and take for witness two persons from among you, endued with justice, and establish the evidence (as) before God. Such is the admonition given to him who believes in God and the Last Day. And for those who fear God, He (ever) prepares a way out,

[065:003] And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in God, sufficient is (God) for him. For God will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has God appointed a due proportion.

[065:004] Such of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the prescribed period, if ye have any doubts, is three months, and for those who have no courses (it is the same): for those who carry (life within their wombs), their period is until they deliver their burdens: and for those who fear God, He will make their path easy.

Hence verse 65.04 is not talking about the infant rather a woman who didn't menstruate from the time of divorce as stipulated in verse 65.01 . It is always the other 20 days apart from 10 days of normal period of menstruation of women .

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I wanted to ask, what is the age of adulthood? Is it relative to each person or is there a set age?

You mention ages of 16-18... But in the past people married earlier, so is there also situation to consider (lifespan, quality of life)? It is such a hard subject!

I do agree it is not ok to marry children... It is when we talk about teenagers that I get a little confused. I was looking like an adult at 14 and quite mature in intellect and emotions! So I'm unsure about this.

Union

I wanted to ask, what is the age of adulthood? Is it relative to each person or is there a set age?

You mention ages of 16-18... But in the past people married earlier, so is there also situation to consider (lifespan, quality of life)? It is such a hard subject!

I do agree it is not ok to marry children... It is when we talk about teenagers that I get a little confused. I was looking like an adult at 14 and quite mature in intellect and emotions! So I'm unsure about this.

As you can see that I focus on the term 'Sudud' of 6.152 to define the age in 4.6 , which was made a condition to be get married - 'Sudud' means mightier , stronger , harder , tougher etc. To verify please check the verses of Qur'an like 38.20,2.200,4.84,40.21,50.36 etc.

To add up , other verses confirm the candidate of marriage to possess mind of sound judgment and acumen of handling her property .

Hence strong health and sound mind together is availeable only in the matured persons .

The most common age threshold is 18 years of age, with thresholds ranging from 14 to 21 across nations and between provinces , which in average should start from 17 years .

l_545_1ba81cfb8561fafed68c92aaa32e0fdf

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Hi Union, yes this is the age of majority. The age of consent is lower however. Sometimes as low as 14 in Europe (Germany for example). It's weird, imo, that they can have sex and run the risk of pregnancy. A baby is a huge responsibility and sex is a huge responsibility too. One of my friend got pregnant 3 times before being 18 (and aborted everytime).

Funny and ironic thing is, among the highest age of consent in Europe is in Turkey at 18! Muslim majority country has a high age limit. XD

Union

Hi Union, yes this is the age of majority. The age of consent is lower however. Sometimes as low as 14 in Europe (Germany for example). It's weird, imo, that they can have sex and run the risk of pregnancy. A baby is a huge responsibility and sex is a huge responsibility too. One of my friend got pregnant 3 times before being 18 (and aborted everytime).

Funny and ironic thing is, among the highest age of consent in Europe is in Turkey at 18! Muslim majority country has a high age limit. XD

Thats interesting . Thanks for sharing this information .

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com

The popular (and perhaps not so right) way of using Quran is to look at the problems of our surrounding society and then expect direct instructions from Quran to resolve them. An examples is that people say we have a drug addiction problem, why did not Quran forbid using Heroin?

Regarding the child pregnancy problem that we are dealing with also I believe we should not expect an explicit instruction from Quran. Having the high-level recommendations of Quran in mind, we should indeed seek for a solution using the state of art in sociology, psychoanalysis, and other fields of science. The solution that we will come up with is hopefully a good fit for our problem, nevertheless might not necessary be also an ideal solution for the people of the next centuries or might not have been a proper approach for people living in desert of Arabia 1400 years ago, vice versa. Different people at different times need different solutions for their problems and fixating on one specific prescription for eternity is not quite reasonable.

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
God bless you Union for pointing them out. I mostly liked your argument that the way Quran describes the relationship between husband and wife requires a certain level of maturity in both of them, which is obviously not achievable if one or both of the husband and wife is a child.

It is surprising that some ignore these obvious teachings of Quran and then desperately look for an ambiguous term in Quran to interpret it in a way that satisfy their desires. Well, I take it back, it is not surprising at all, as Quran had already predicted emergence of such category of religious people:

It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - and others unspecific. As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah. But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding. (7)

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
Lets summarize our understanding of this verse and verify it against common sense and scientific facts:

And those who no longer expect menstruation among your women - if you doubt, then their period is three months, and [also for] those who have not menstruated [missed their last period]. And for those who are pregnant, their term is until they give birth. And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him of his matter ease. (65:4)

It seems that the center of this verse is to clarify whether a women is pregnant at the time of divorce or not. If a woman is not clearly pregnant (owners of weight) (&#1571;&#1615;&#1608;&#1604;&#1614;&#1575;&#1578;&#1615; &#1575;&#1604;&#1618;&#1571;&#1614;&#1581;&#1618;&#1605;&#1614;&#1575;&#1604;&#1616;), menstruation could be used to verify whether they are pregnant or not. Woman do not menstruate during pregnancy, but there are also other reasons for not menstruating including menopause, stress, etc. If the woman has not recently menstruated, there are still two cases that she might be pregnant:

1) The women has been in menopause and thus stopped menstruating. So, menstruation cannot be used to verify pregnancy:
The Truth about Pregnancy during Perimenopause
2) The women missed a period for some other reasons like stress. In fact, not having menstruation for up to 90 days is considered normal.
Amenorrhea | Brown University Health Education

In both of this cases, the way to clarify is waiting for 90 days (three months) to see whether the woman is actually pregnant or not. That is why the verse categorizes the women into three:
1) menopause (wait three months)
2) missed menstruation (wait three months)
3) already pregnant (wait until delivery)
If after the three months in turns out that the woman was actually pregnant, then the term is until she delivers the baby.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
As you can see that I focus on the term 'Sudud' of 6.152 to define the age in 4.6 , which was made a condition to be get married - 'Sudud' means mightier , stronger , harder , tougher etc. To verify please check the verses of Qur'an like 38.20,2.200,4.84,40.21,50.36 etc.

To add up , other verses confirm the candidate of marriage to possess mind of sound judgment and acumen of handling her property .

Hence strong health and sound mind together is availeable only in the matured persons .

The most common age threshold is 18 years of age, with thresholds ranging from 14 to 21 across nations and between provinces , which in average should start from 17 years .

l_545_1ba81cfb8561fafed68c92aaa32e0fdf

What was the "legal age of consent" back during the time when Mohammed married Aisha?

Sound mind?
What were the standards for a "sound mind" back when Mohammed married Aisha?
What evidence is there in support that Aisha was, or was not, of "sound mind"?

Union

What was the "legal age of consent" back during the time when Mohammed married Aisha?

Sound mind?
What were the standards for a "sound mind" back when Mohammed married Aisha?
What evidence is there in support that Aisha was, or was not, of "sound mind"?

Hi Mestemia . Please go along from the very 1st post of this thread to the latter ones .All issues are discussed to the best possible way backed by Qur'anic evidence . Hopefully that will help you to quench your inquiries . Thanks .