• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mojtaba

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Hello guys!

I want to show you some authentic Hadiths from Sunni authentic sources which prove that the 12 Successors of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny) are from his Ahlul Baty and progeny, not anyone else.

Dear brothers and sisters, these are the sayings of your Prophet, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his progeny):

1.Zayd ibn Thabit (may Allah be pleased with him) has narrated:
The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his progeny) said, "I have left two complete Successors among you: The book of Allah and my progeny. Indeed, they will never separate until they meet me at the pool [of Kowthar, in Paradise]."
(إِنِّي تَرَكْتُ فِيكُمُ الْخَلِيفَتَيْنِ كَامِلَتَيْنِ: كِتَابَ اللَّهِ، وَعِتْرَتِي، وَإِنَّهُمَا لَنْ يَتَفَرَّقَا حَتَّى يَرِدَا عَلَيَّ الْحَوْضَ).

The oldest book in which this Hadith is narrated, is the book of Ibn Abi Shayba, the teacher of Al-Bukhari (See Musnad Ibn Abi Shayba, V1, P.108). Imam Ahmad ibn Hambal in his Musnad, Imam Al-Tabarani in Al-Mo'jam Al-Kabir, and others have also narrated this Hadith in their books.

Albani (Al-Bukhari of time, a fanatic Wahhabi) in his book, Sahih Al-Jami' Al-Saqir wa Ziyadatihi, V1, P 482, and Al-Haytami (one of the eminent Sunni Imams of Hadith) in two parts of his book, Majma' Al-Zawaeed(1 and 2), have siad that this Hadith is Sahih (صحيح).

*This Hadith proves that those 12 Successors of Prophet (s) about whom Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) talked, are from the progeny and Ahlul Bayt of him (peace be upon him and his progeny) [e.g., Prophet (s) said: The religion will continue until the Hour has been established, and there would be twelve Successors upon you, all of them being from the Quraish (Sahih Muslim, Book 33, Hadith 11)].

In addition, the following authentic Hadiths say that we must follow both Quran, and the progeny and Ahlul Bayt of Prophet (s). They also prove that Quran and the progeny of the Prophet (s) never separate until Hearafter:

Zayd ibn Arqam (may Allah be pleased with him) has narrated:

The Messenger of Allah (s) said: 'Indeed, I am leaving among you, that which if you hold fast to it, you will never be misguided after me. One of them is greater than the other: The Book of Allah which is a rope extended from the sky to the earth, and my progeny - my Ahlul Bayt - and they will never separate until they meet me at the Hawdh [of Kowthar, Paradise].

(إني تارك فيكم ما إن تمسكتم به لن تضلوا بعدي أحدهما أعظم من الآخر كتاب الله حبل ممدود من السماء إلى الأرض وعترتي أهل بيتي ولن يتفرقا حتى يردا علي الحوض فانظروا كيف تخلفوني فيهما)
(Sunan At-Tirmidhi)

At-Tirmidhi himself wrote that the Hadith is Hasan (حسن). Albani has also said that this Hadith is Sahih (صحيح) (See, Sahih Al-Jami' Al-Saqir wa Ziyadatihi by Albani, V1, P 482).

3.Jabir bin 'Abdullah (may Allah be pleased with him) has narrated:

The Messenger of Allah (s) said: "O people! Indeed, I have left among you, that which if you hold fast to it, you shall not go astray: The Book of Allah and my progeny, my Ahlul Bayt".
(يا أيها الناس إني قد تركت فيكم ما إن أخذتم به لن تضلوا كتاب الله وعترتي أهل بيتي)

At-Tirmidhi (one of the eminent Sunni Imams of Hadith) wrote that the Hadith is Hasan (حسن).
(Sunan At-Tirmidhi)

4.Imam Ali (peace be upon him) has narrated:
The Messenger of Allah (s) said: "I have left among you which if you grasp will cause you to never go astray, the Book of Allah whose rope is in my hand and yours, and my Ahlul Bayt".
( وَقَدْ تَرَكْتُ فِيكُمْ مَا إِنْ أَخَذْتُمْ بِهِ لَنْ تَضِلُّوا كتاب الله تعالى، سَبَبُهُ بيدي، وَسَبَبُهُ بِأَيْدِيكُمْ، وَأَهْلُ بَيْتِي)

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani (one of the most eminent Sunni Imams of Hadith) says that the Hadith is Sahih.(هَذَا إِسْنَادٌ صَحِيحٌ).
(Al-Matalibul Aliyyah by Ibn Hajar Asqalani, V16, P142.)

5.Zayd ibn Arqam (may Allah be pleased with him) has narrated:
The Messenger of Allah (s) said:"'O people! Indeed, I am leaving behind two matters among you if you follow them you will never go astray: The Book of Allah and my Ahlul Bayt, my progeny".
(أيها الناس ، إني تارك فيكم أمرين لن تضلوا إن اتبعتموهما ، وهما : كتاب الله ، وأهل بيتي عترتي)
(Al-Mostadrak Aala As-Sahihayn by Al-Haakim, V 4, P 72)

Al-Haakim (one of the eminent Sunni Imam of Hadith) has narrated this Hadith and said that it is Sahih (حديث سلمة بن كهيل ، عن أبي الطفيل أيضا صحيح على شرطهما, See before the Hadith). Ibn Hajar Al-Haytami has also said that this Hadith is Sahih ( وَفِي رِوَايَة صَحِيحَة :إِنِّي تَارِك فِيكُم أَمريْن لن تضلوا إِن تبعتموهما وهما كتاب الله وَأهل بَيْتِي عِتْرَتِي, See Al-Sawa'igh by Al-Haytami)

6.Abu Sa'id Al-Khodri (may Allah be pleased with him) has narrated:
The Messenger of Allah said: "Indeed, I have left among you, that which if you hold fast to it, you will never go astray: The two weighty things; One of them is greater than the other. The Book of Allah which is a rope extended from the heaven to the earth, and my progeny, my Ahlul Bayt. Beware! They will never separate each other until they meet me at the pool [of Al-Kowthar, in Paradise].
(إني قد تركت فيكم ما إن أخذتم به لن تضلوا بعدي الثقلين أحدهما أكبر من الآخر كتاب الله حبل ممدود من السماء إلى الأرض وعترتي أهل بيتي ألا وإنهما لن يفترقا حتى يردا علي الحوض)

Ahmad ibn Hambal has narrated this Hadith in his Musnad. Al-Haytamy has said that the route of the narrators of this Hadith does not have any problem (وَسَنَده لَا بَأْس بِهِ, See Al-Sawa'iq). So, it is Sahih.

It should be said that Az-Zahabi is also between those eminent Imams of Hadith who have said that the Hadith of Thaqalayn (Quran and the progeny of Prophet (s)) is Sahih (قال شيخنا أبو عبد الله الذهبي : وهذا حديث صحيح, See here). In addition, Hadith of Thaqalayn is Mutiwatir (frequent). Al-Haytami (one of the most eminent Sunni Imams of Hadith) wrote in his book, Al-Sawa'iq that the Hadith Thaqalayn is narrated from 20-odd Sahaba (companions of Prophet) [ثمَّ اعْلَم أَن لحَدِيث التَّمَسُّك بذلك طرقا كَثِيرَة وَردت عَن نَيف وَعشْرين صحابيا, As-Sawa'iq by Ibn Hajar Al-Haytami, V 2, P 440]. So, this Hadith is certainly Mutiwatir.

mojtaba

Dear brothers and sisters, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny) said that the number of his Successors are 12 and they are from Ahlul Bayt and progeny of himself and we must follow them. He (s) has also said that Quran and his progeny never separate. So that, those 12 Successors of Prophet are infallible, because they do not separate from Quran and we most obey them to never go astray. Prophet (s) said about Imam Ali (as), who is his first true Successor from his Ahlul Bayt, 'Ali is with Quran and Quran is with Ali, and they never separate until they meet me at the pool [of Kowthar, in Paradise]' (عَلِيٌّ مَعَ الْقُرْآنِ وَالْقُرْآنُ مَعَ عَلِيٍّ لَنْ يَتَفَرَّقَا حَتَّى يَرِدَا عَلَيَّ الْحَوْضَ). Al-Hakim and Az-Zahabi both have siad that this Hadith is Sahih. See Al-Mustadrak Ala As-Sahihayn with Talkhis Az-Zahabi (هَذَا حَدِيثٌ صَحِيحُ الْإِسْنَادِ وَأَبُو سَعِيدٍ التَّيْمِيُّ هُوَ عُقَيْصَاءُ ثِقَةٌ مَأْمُونٌ، وَلَمْ يُخَرِّجَاهُ). For rating of Az-Zahabi for Hadith, see the footnote of the page (ـ[التعليق - من تلخيص الذهبي]4628 - صحيح).

Allah Ta'ala said to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his progeny): You are only a warner, and there is a guide for every people. [Quran, 12:7]
This verse proves that even after demise of Prophet Muhammad (s), there is a guide for people in every time. According to an authentic Hadith, Prophet (peace be upon him and his progeny) said that he, himself is the warner and Imam Ali (peace be upon him) is the guide after him [i.e., the first guide after him]( عَنْ اِبْن عَبَّاس , قَالَ : لَمَّا نَزَلَتْ { إِنَّمَا أَنْتَ مُنْذِر وَلِكُلِّ قَوْم هَادٍ } وَضَعَ صَلَّى اللَّه عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَده عَلَى صَدْره , فَقَالَ : " أَنَا الْمُنْذِر وَلِكُلِّ قَوْم هَادٍ " , وَأَوْمَأَ بِيَدِهِ إِلَى مَنْكِب عَلِيّ , فَقَالَ : " أَنْتَ الْهَادِي يَا عَلِيّ , بِك يَهْتَدِي الْمُهْتَدُونَ بَعْدِي "; Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated: when the verse "You are only a warner, and there is a guide for every people" was reaveled, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him and his progeny) put his hand on his chest and said: "I am the warner" and he pointed to the shoulders of Ali (peace be upon him) and said: "O Ali! You are the guide. Only Through you the guided ones will be guided after me").

At-Tabari has narrated this Hadith in his Tafseer book (see Sura 13-Al-Ra'd, verse 7). Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani in his book, Fat-h Al-Bari Sharh Sahih Al-Bukhari has said that this Hadith is Hasan (حسن:authentic) [أخرجه الطبري بإسناد حسن من طريق سعيد بن جبير عن ابن عباس قال لما نزلت هذه الآية وضع رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - يده على صدره وقال : أنا المنذر . وأومأ إلى علي وقال أنت الهادي بك يهتدي المهتدون بعدي ].

Al-Haakim in his book, Al-Mustadrak has narrated from Abbad ibn Abdullah Al-Asadi: Ali said about the verse 'You are only a warner, and there is a guide for every people': "The Messenger of Allah is the warner and I am the guide". Al-Haakim says that this Hadith is Sahih (هذا حديث صحيح الاسناد).

Adullah ibn Ahmad ibn Hambal has narrated an authentic Hadith which is in Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal from Abd Khayr as the following: Ali said about the verse, 'You are only a warner, and there is a guide for every people': "The Messenger of Allah is the warner, and the guide is a man from Bani Hashim (عن عبد خير عن علي في قوله إنما أنت منذر ولكل قوم هاد قال: رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم المنذر٬ والهاد رجل من بني هاشم)". Al-Moqaddasi has narrated this Hadith with this route of the narrators [i.e., from Abdullah ibn Ahmad] and another route and has said that both of them are Hasan [حسن:authentic] (Al-Ahadith Al-Mokhtara: V 2, P 286/ 287 : إِسْنَاده حسن). Imam At-Tabarani has also narrated this Hadith in his book, Al-Mo'jam Al-Awsat. Albani who was a fanatic Wahhabi has rated this Hadith which is in Musnad Ahmad (i.e., Zawa'id Al-Mosnad, which is the Hadiths of the son of Ahmad ibn Hambal, Abdullah. These Hadiths are in Musnad Ahmad) as Sahih (وهذا إسناد صحيح، رجاله ثقات) but, unfortunately he has distorted the Hadith! For rejecting another authentic Hadith which is about Imam Ali's leadership, he wrote:
ومما يؤيد نكارة الحديث: أن عبد خير رواه عن علي في قوله ... فذكر الآية؛ قال رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم -:
"المنذر والهادي: رجل من بني هاشم".
أخرجه عبد الله بن أحمد في "زوائد المسند" (1/ 126) ، ومن طريقه ابن عساكر: حدثني عثمان بن أبي شيبة: حدثنا مطلب بن زياد عن السدي عنه.
وهذا إسناد صحيح، رجاله ثقات.​
He has changed the original Hadith to the following (In addition to Musnad Ahmad which I provided its link to a Saudi Arabia website, see the undistorted Hadith in Zawa'id Al-Musnad itself, too) :
Abd Khayr narrated from Ali about the verse 'You are only a warner, and there is a guide for every people' : "The Messenger of Allah said: The warner and the directorial is a man from Bani Hashim (i.e., Prophet himself)."!!!
(Silsilatul Ahadith Al-Dha'ifa by Albani)

He has changed the Hadith and has attributed the interpretation of the verse by Imam Ali to Prophet Muhammad!!!
He has also added the word 'ي' after 'الهاد' for changing the meaning of the Hadith. Those who know Arabic know that addition of 'ي' to the 'الهاد' which is a noun, chamges it to the 'الهادي' which is an adjective!!!

Ibn Abi Hatam has narrated in his Tafseer book (one of the authentic and famous old Tafseer books of Sunnis) this Hadith as the following:
ـ... عَنْ عَبْدِ خَيْرٍ عَنْ عَلِيٍّ ، " وَلِكُلِّ قَوْمٍ هَادٍ سورة الرعد آية 7 ، قَالَ : الْهَادِ رَجُلٌ مِنْ بَنِي هَاشِمٍ " ، قَالَ ابْنُ الْجُنَيْدِ : هُوَ عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَبِي طَالِبٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ ، وَرُوِيَ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَبَّاسٍ فِي إِحْدَى الرِّوَايَاتِ ، وَعَنْ أَبِي جَعْفَرٍ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ ، نَحْوَ ذَلِكَ ـ

....from Abd Khayr, from Ali, [about] 'And there is a guide for every people' Sura Al-Ra'd, verse 17, said: "The guide (الهاد) is a man from Bani Hashim". Ibn Al-Jonayd said: "He is Ali himself". And it is narrated from Ibn Abbas in one of the narrations, and from Abi Ja'far Muhammad ibn Ali, such this.
(Tafseer Ibn Abi Hatam)
So, remains no doubt that Albani who is called the Al-Bukhari of time, has distorted the Hadith!!!

Finally, the guide who is in any time for every people is from Bani Hashim and the frist one is Imam Ali and others are the other 11 Successors of Prophet from his progeny who will not separate from Quran and we must follow and obey them.

Best wishes!

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Hello,

Do you know if there is any Hadith that explains why, it is not explicitly mentioned in the Quran who after the Prophet is the successor. There are so many Hadithes about the 12 successors of the Prophet, but why this is not explicitly mentioned in the Quran.