• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran 2:87

Hi

I was wondering if any Arabic speakers can help me. I noticed in 2:87 it talks about the Holy Spirit.

And We gave to Moses the Book, and after him sent succeeding Messengers; and We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear signs, and confirmed him with the Holy Spirit; and whensoever there came to you a Messenger with that your souls had not desire for, did you become arrogant, and some cry lies to, and some slay?

What is the Arabic phrase that translates to this? How is it used in other contexts outside of the Quran? Is the Arabic word the same as would be used for the Holy Spirit in trinitarian theology or is it different?

Thanks for any assistance :)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hi

I was wondering if any Arabic speakers can help me. I noticed in 2:87 it talks about the Holy Spirit.

And We gave to Moses the Book, and after him sent succeeding Messengers; and We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear signs, and confirmed him with the Holy Spirit; and whensoever there came to you a Messenger with that your souls had not desire for, did you become arrogant, and some cry lies to, and some slay?

What is the Arabic phrase that translates to this? How is it used in other contexts outside of the Quran? Is the Arabic word the same as would be used for the Holy Spirit in trinitarian theology or is it different?

Thanks for any assistance :)
Hello I find this good source about Holy Spirit in Quran

http://submission.org/Holy_Spirit.html

Pastek

Sunni muslim
وَلَقَدۡ ءَاتَيۡنَا مُوسَى ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ وَقَفَّيۡنَا مِنۢ بَعۡدِهِۦ بِٱلرُّسُلِ‌ۖ وَءَاتَيۡنَا عِيسَى ٱبۡنَ مَرۡيَمَ ٱلۡبَيِّنَـٰتِ وَأَيَّدۡنَـٰهُ بِرُوحِ ٱلۡقُدُسِ‌ۗ أَفَكُلَّمَا جَآءَكُمۡ رَسُولُۢ بِمَا لَا تَہۡوَىٰٓ أَنفُسُكُمُ ٱسۡتَكۡبَرۡتُمۡ فَفَرِيقً۬ا كَذَّبۡتُمۡ وَفَرِيقً۬ا تَقۡتُلُونَ

Wa laqad atayna moossa el kitab wa qafaina men ba'dihi bel roossool wa atayna 'issa ebn mariam el bayinat wa ayadnahoo bi rooh el qudoos (...)

And We gave to Moses the Book, and after him sent succeeding Messengers; and We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear signs, and confirmed him with the Holy Spirit;

Rooh = spirit, soul
El Qudoos = the holy

In Islam we believe the Holy Spirit is Angel Gabriel. We don't have the same concept that in Christianity and we don't believe in the Trinity.

In some hadiths Jesus is also called "rooh Allah" = Spirit of God

http://www.beautifulislam.net/prophethood/jesus_hadith.htm

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
... 2:87 it talks about the Holy Spirit.

Peace be on you....If one say may few words:

[2:88] And verily, We gave Moses the Book and caused after him Messengers to follow in his footsteps; and to Jesus, son of Mary, We gave manifest Signs, and strengthened him with the Spirit of holiness. Will you then, every time a Messenger comes to you with what you yourselves desire not, behave arrogantly and treat some as liars and slay others?
[Translation from alislamDOTorg/quran -- Ahmadiyya Muslim resource]

What is the Arabic phrase that translates to this?

روح القدس in 3rd line:
in
002-088.png

How is it used in other contexts outside of the Quran?
Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said to poet Hassan:
Reply O Hassan (to disbelievers) on behalf of Prophet of Allah and O Allah help You Hassan with Spirit of holiness.
[Bukhari and Muslim]

Is the Arabic word the same as would be used for the Holy Spirit in trinitarian theology or is it different?
""The concept of the Holy Spirit is, in fact, found in every religion under one title or another. Without this concept no religion can exist as such....................One aspect of this understanding relates to the role of the Holy Spirit as one that governs, administers and supervises all affairs relating to prophecy and revelation and this spirit is referred to as holy in the sense that it has nothing of its own mixed with the revelation that is delivered by God originally, to be delivered to some servants of His on earth. This institution of conveying prophecy or revelation has always been under the command of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps it is in this sense that St. John refers to the Word and that it was always with him and the Holy Spirit. He puts it slightly in a confused way, but basically I think, if that is what he means, the Holy Qur'an supports the view that the Holy Spirit is that being that has the key task of responsibility in the government of matters relating to revelation and that is the arch angel to whom we also refer to as Jibriel (Gabriel).""
Ref and more: https://www.alislam.org/library/links/00000211.html

Thanks everyone for your answers :)

In Indo-Malay languages Roh Kudus is used for the trinitarian Holy Spirit, now I know where it is from. I keep noticing quite a few words in the Indo-Malay languages derive from Arabic actually. Alkitab, sabar, kursi, dunia, etc.

Corthos

Great Old One
Hmmm... Sorry to butt in, but I have another question in regards to the Holy Spirit (as understood by Christianity). From what I can assume by reading this, the Holy Spirit has a different function than the one of the Bible? Christians believe that when your conscience weighs on you in a given situation, that it is God himself trying to let you know that something is wrong, or that you should do something.... Is that different in Islam? What role does the conscience play in Islam?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
........From what I can assume by reading this, the Holy Spirit has a different function than the one of the Bible? Christians believe that when your conscience weighs on you in a given situation, that it is God himself trying to let you know that something is wrong, or that you should do something.... Is that different in Islam? What role does the conscience play in Islam?
Peace be on you.
[75:15] Nay, man is a witness against himself;
[75:16] Even though he puts forward his excuses.

According to Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.) sin is felt in heart.

But it is the early stage, but if one keeps switching the conscience [heart] off, then he or she will keep sinking in sin down and down.

""To combat sin it is necessary to be able to identify sin-infected conditions. I would, therefore, give an account of such conditions so that their identification should become easy. Among them are the following:

1. A person looks upon sin with horror but now and then finds himself inclined towards it.
  2. He still hates sin but is unable always to resist the temptation and falls for sin.
  3. He does not hate sin but no more does he relish a life of sin. The result is that he commits a sinful action occasionally, without really liking or disliking sin.
  4. He relishes sin but not without shame. If he sins, he sins in secret. If he refrains from sin, he does so because of past habit or because of social custom.
  5. At this stage, he sinks much lower. Past habit and social custom cease to be adequate restraints. He is now ready to indulge in and enjoy a sinful life.
  6. At this stage, he is not only sinful and evil, but also encourages others to be evil and sinful like him.
  7. At this last and lowest stage, he becomes a profile of Satan, propagation of evil becomes his daily concern.
In comparison with sin-infected conditions we have the following good conditions which are listed below in an ascending order:

1. To do good for the sake of reward.
  2. To choose good as a commandment of God.
  3. To do good for the sake of good and to consider virtue to be its own reward.
  4. To do good as a natural habit.
  5. To enjoy doing good.
  6. To propagate good in the world.
  7. To become an embodiment of good and to treat its dissemination as one's single unalloyed aim in life like the angels. There are higher grades of goodness like prophethood; but they are a gift of God and cannot be attained by mere effort.""
Ref: http://www.alislam.org/books/seekers/13.htm

Corthos

Great Old One
Peace be on you.
[75:15] Nay, man is a witness against himself;
[75:16] Even though he puts forward his excuses.

According to Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.) sin is felt in heart.

But it is the early stage, but if one keeps switching the conscience [heart] off, then he or she will keep sinking in sin down and down.

""To combat sin it is necessary to be able to identify sin-infected conditions. I would, therefore, give an account of such conditions so that their identification should become easy. Among them are the following:

1. A person looks upon sin with horror but now and then finds himself inclined towards it.
  2. He still hates sin but is unable always to resist the temptation and falls for sin.
  3. He does not hate sin but no more does he relish a life of sin. The result is that he commits a sinful action occasionally, without really liking or disliking sin.
  4. He relishes sin but not without shame. If he sins, he sins in secret. If he refrains from sin, he does so because of past habit or because of social custom.
  5. At this stage, he sinks much lower. Past habit and social custom cease to be adequate restraints. He is now ready to indulge in and enjoy a sinful life.
  6. At this stage, he is not only sinful and evil, but also encourages others to be evil and sinful like him.
  7. At this last and lowest stage, he becomes a profile of Satan, propagation of evil becomes his daily concern.
In comparison with sin-infected conditions we have the following good conditions which are listed below in an ascending order:

1. To do good for the sake of reward.
  2. To choose good as a commandment of God.
  3. To do good for the sake of good and to consider virtue to be its own reward.
  4. To do good as a natural habit.
  5. To enjoy doing good.
  6. To propagate good in the world.
  7. To become an embodiment of good and to treat its dissemination as one's single unalloyed aim in life like the angels. There are higher grades of goodness like prophethood; but they are a gift of God and cannot be attained by mere effort.""
Ref: http://www.alislam.org/books/seekers/13.htm

Thank you. That was an informative read. =)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmmm... Sorry to butt in, but I have another question in regards to the Holy Spirit (as understood by Christianity). From what I can assume by reading this, the Holy Spirit has a different function than the one of the Bible? Christians believe that when your conscience weighs on you in a given situation, that it is God himself trying to let you know that something is wrong, or that you should do something.... Is that different in Islam? What role does the conscience play in Islam?

In Islam the holy spirit is an angel.

As for conscious, there are plenty, within us, our own nafs "self, soul" can weigh in either positively or negatively, and also our companion from the jinn can weigh in negatively. We can generate positive thoughts by meditating and praying. The more we connect with God, the more we do good.

Nevertheless, some people think they are connecting with God, but they listen only to their own ego. True listening to God mean to struggle by abandoning bad habits, doing good to our parents, relatives, and the entire community, self sacrifice and humbleness. Not through arrogance and claiming to know everything.