• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes: The Fathers of The Faith

Linus7

No*s said:
Thank you for those Sava. I've been meaning to read some of Fr. Seraphim Rose's books, but have read only a little (he seemed to have insight on many things, though I'm a little nervous about the toll-houses). I especially liked those prophecies. I may have to find out more about St. Kosmas Aitolos ;).
If you want to start with a really good one, read Fr. Seraphim Rose's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

Although first written in the 1970s, it's a real eye-opener, and the latest edition contains an update.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus7 said:
If you want to start with a really good one, read Fr. Seraphim Rose's Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

Although first written in the 1970s, it's a real eye-opener, and the latest edition contains an update.

I've read a version online, but I think it was abridged (they never tell you details like that on webpages :))

Linus7

If you all want to pick up a good little source of patristic quotes, get the book, The Way of the Fathers, by Mike Aquilina (Our Sunday Visitor Publishing, 2000).

I also have the Early Church Fathers on CD-ROM, which has a search feature that is real handy. You can get it at ChristianBook.com.

Here is one from Mike Aquilina's book (p.29).

"Love Holy Scripture and wisdom will love you. Love her, and she will keep you. Honor her, and she will embrace you." (St. Jerome)

No*s

Captain Obvious
Thanks for giving me the title The Way of the Fathers, and I'll add it to my list.

I am blessed enough to have the entire Early Church Fathers set in its dead-trees version. It's part of the reason I'm getting behind in my reading. Thirty volumes is A LOT :p

Linus7

No*s said:
Thanks for giving me the title The Way of the Fathers, and I'll add it to my list.

I am blessed enough to have the entire Early Church Fathers set in its dead-trees version. It's part of the reason I'm getting behind in my reading. Thirty volumes is A LOT :p
Oh, man!

I envy you, and envy is a sin!

But it's your fault this time!:)

I want those books. I get tired of staring at e-text.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus7 said:
Oh, man!

I envy you, and envy is a sin!

But it's your fault this time!:)

I want those books. I get tired of staring at e-text.

Now I must repent for making you envy :p.

Of course, we're veering far off-topic, so I will post a quote from a master of the faith :D :

A brother said to Abba Poemen, "Give me a word," and he said to him, "As
long as the pot is on the fire, no fly nor any other animal can get near
it, but as soon as it is cold, these creatures get inside. So it is for
the monk; as long as he lives in spiritual activities, the enemy cannot
find a means of overthrowing him."

Linus7

"God has promised forgiveness to your repentance, but He has not promised tomorrow to your procrastination" (St. Augustine, quoted in Mike Aquilina's The Way of the Fathers, p. 104).

Joannicius

No*s said:
Now I must repent for making you envy :p.

Of course, we're veering far off-topic, so I will post a quote from a master of the faith :D :

A brother said to Abba Poemen, "Give me a word," and he said to him, "As
long as the pot is on the fire, no fly nor any other animal can get near
it, but as soon as it is cold, these creatures get inside. So it is for
the monk; as long as he lives in spiritual activities, the enemy cannot
find a means of overthrowing him."
I really don't think we can make another envy?

That's a great quote No*s, thanks......

No*s

Captain Obvious
Welcome :)

Oh, one can. Bragging about possessions can do that, but I was joking there lol.

Linus7

Joannicius said:
I really don't think we can make another envy?

That's a great quote No*s, thanks......
But he dangled his set of the Church Fathers in front me!

That's just got to be some kind of sin! :D

BTW, great idea for a thread, Joannicius!

It's great to read all these quotes from the Fathers.

Thanks!

Joannicius

You're right, No*s is to blame "he made me do it"
:sarcastic You just gotta straighten up No*s, quit makin others sin :tsk:

No*s

Captain Obvious
Joannicius said:
You're right, No*s is to blame "he made me do it"
:sarcastic You just gotta straighten up No*s, quit makin others sin :tsk:

Ah, you know me. I just like the be the devil himself :D.

Linus7

Here are two that may inspire you in your biblical language studies, No*s.

"Let us learn upon earth the knowledge that will continue with us in heaven." (St. Jerome).

"Study as if you were to live forever. Live as if you were to die tomorrow." (St. Isidore of Seville).

Both quotes are from Mike Aquilina's book, The Way of the Fathers, p. 140.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Joannicius said:
No*s
How long did you say it has been since you went to confession?:(
Those are great Linus

I can't...I can't even travel outside my town. However, when I get to TX, I will be able to go to Liturgy, and do everything I need to do. It sucks being an hour and a half away from any church and not being able to travel at all.

EDIT:

I was joking with that statement, because I thought you had also...sorry...

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus7 said:
Here are two that may inspire you in your biblical language studies, No*s.

"Let us learn upon earth the knowledge that will continue with us in heaven." (St. Jerome).

"Study as if you were to live forever. Live as if you were to die tomorrow." (St. Isidore of Seville).

Both quotes are from Mike Aquilina's book, The Way of the Fathers, p. 140.

Yes, I like those quotes :). Very convicting for someone like me who procrastinates so much...

Linus7

I think I will try to post a quote or two from the Fathers each day (on the days I can get to the internet, anyway).

"We must not, even in a trivial matter, turn aside from the path of truth." (St. Epiphanius, quoted in Mike Aquilina's The Way of the Fathers, p. 149).

No*s

Captain Obvious
I received this in my email today:

One day Abba Isaac went to a monastery. He saw a brother committing a sin and he condemned him. When he returned to the desert, an angel of the Lord came and stood in front of the door of his cell, and said, "I will not let you enter." But he persisted saying, "What is the matter?" And the angel replied, "God has sent me to ask you where you want to throw the guilty brother whom you have condemned." Immediately he repented and said, "I have sinned, forgive me." Then the angel said, "Get up, God has forgiven you. But from now on, be careful not to judge someone before God has done so."

Joannicius

No*s said:
I received this in my email today:

One day Abba Isaac went to a monastery. He saw a brother committing a sin and he condemned him. When he returned to the desert, an angel of the Lord came and stood in front of the door of his cell, and said, "I will not let you enter." But he persisted saying, "What is the matter?" And the angel replied, "God has sent me to ask you where you want to throw the guilty brother whom you have condemned." Immediately he repented and said, "I have sinned, forgive me." Then the angel said, "Get up, God has forgiven you. But from now on, be careful not to judge someone before God has done so."
I laughed out loud to keep from crying when I read this.... thanks ! !