1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Quotes from Famous Freethinkers

Discussion in 'Atheism' started by Thumper, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,448
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Stephen Roberts

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,448
    Religion:
    Humanist
    The Pale Blue Dot

“We succeeded in taking this picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived; lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, every hopeful child, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.”

"The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe are challenged by this point of pale light.”

"Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbour life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.”

“There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we’ve ever known.”

Carl Sagan

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. Thumper

Thumper Thank the gods I'm an atheist

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "They were allowed to stay there on one condition, and that is that they didn't eat of the tree of knowledge. That has been the condition of the Christian church from then until now. They haven't eaten as yet, as a rule they do not." - Clarence Darrow

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,530
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    "We imagined something like our own political system running the universe." - Carl Sagan

5. Jedster

Jedster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,305
    • "I choose to believe that the white light people sometimes see... they're all just chemical reactions that take place when the brain shuts down.... There's no conclusive science. My choice has no practical relevance to my life, I choose the outcome I find more comforting.... I find it more comforting to believe that this isn't simply a test." Dr Gregory House

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "Heaven, as conventionally described, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside." - George Bernard Shaw

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "It is no defense of superstition and pseudoscience to say that it brings solace and comfort to people…If solace and comfort are how we judge the worth of something, then consider that tobacco brings solace and comfort to smokers; alcohol brings it to drinkers; drugs of all kinds bring it to addicts; the fall of cards and the run of horses bring it to gamblers; cruelty and violence bring it to sociopaths. Judge by solace and comfort only and there is no behavior we ought to interfere with." - Isaac Asimov

• Like Like x 1
  8. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,739
    Religion:
    Druidry
    *** STAFF NOTICE ***

We've noticed that this thread has been used to post quotations that bash non-atheists. This isn't acceptable, per the forum rules (in particular, Rules 3 and 9). Please refrain from posting quotations that bash various groups and stick with positive quotes from non-theists.

9. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    “Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    “If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him.” ~ Mark Twain

11. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    And now for some light humor ---

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac agnostic staying up all night wondering if there’s a dog? ~ anon

Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggert have written a new book. It's called 'Ministers Do More Than Lay People' ~ anon

How many atheists does it take to change a light bulb? Two. One to actually change the bulb, and the other to videotape the job so fundamentalists won’t claim that god did it. ~ anon

Atheism: The arrogant belief that the entire universe with its billions of galaxies was not created for us. ~ anon

A puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having fun. ~ anon

12. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    There are three religious truths:
    1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

~ Author Unknown

13. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    “We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ~ Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, 1988

14. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    The number of reports of miracles (and UFOs) is inversely proportional to the number of camera phones available. ~ anon

15. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "Most people confuse their right to believe what they want and the idea that those same beliefs have merit." ~ Susan Jacoby

16. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "I'm an atheist and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." ~ Katharine Hepburn

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    My son, always respect and honor the other fellow's point of view. Unless it's different from yours, of course.---Hagar the Horrible

18. Thumper

Ratings:
    +447
    Religion:
    Humanism
    "No idea should be above ridicule. Ridicule is a very important tool. And why should religion not be subject to ridicule? If politics, if science, if sex, if everything is subject to ridicule, as a way of illuminating reality, why shouldn't religion?" ~ Prof. Lawrence Krauss

19. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,880
    Religion:
    None
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." -- Mark Twain

• Like Like x 1
  20. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,880
    Religion:
    None
    May I quote myself? This is the ending that I rewrote for the Pledge over a decade ago now:

And to the Republicans for which it stands,
    Gun nation,
    Plunder, fraud,
    Withered liberty,
    Adjust us for a fall

[Returns to apolitical mode]

#60 It Aint Necessarily So, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1