• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from Famous Freethinkers

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Where a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, ‘tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." - Benjamin Franklin

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In my country we go to prison first and then become President.
Nelson Mandela

ChristineM

Premium Member

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, Ireland was quickly ridiculed by Twitter and other social media. It was quite funny-- and the Powers That Be were having none of it.

Most amusing. It's almost as if there really wasn't a god who felt offended in the first place... ;)

Blasphemy is not about offending a myth, it's about ridiculing those who bow to the myth.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The difference between false memories and true ones is the same as for jewels: it is always the false ones that look the most real, the most brilliant.
Salvador Dali

ChristineM

Premium Member
Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit.
Jawaharlal Nehru

Bob the Unbeliever

"Why can't I leave religion alone?" Because it storms its way into my children's schools, it weasels its way into my government, and its followers demand I can't do what I want with my own body. Right now people are being tortured, beaten, raped and murdered in the name of religion. Is that reason enough?

~ Allie Jackson

Bob the Unbeliever

"Religious apologists complain bitterly that atheists and secularists are aggressive and hostile in their criticism of them. I always say: look, when you guys were in charge, you didn't argue with us, you just burnt us at the stake. Now what we're doing is, we're presenting you with some arguments and some challenging questions, and you complain."

~ A.C. Grayling

Bob the Unbeliever

"Socrates famously said that the unconsidered life is not worth living. He meant that a life lived without forethought or principle is a life so vulnerable to chance, and so dependent on the choices and actions of others, that it is of little real value to the person living it. He further meant that a life well lived is one which has goals, and integrity, which is chosen and directed by the one who lives it, to the fullest extent possible to a human agent caught in the webs of society and history."

~ A.C. Grayling

Bob the Unbeliever

"People should be left to believe what they like, so long as they harm no one else. Apart from normal expectations of politeness, it is not however clear why people should require their personal beliefs to be treated with special sensitivity by others, to the point that if others fail to tip-toe respectfully around them they will start throwing bombs."

~ A.C. Grayling

ChristineM

Premium Member
Healey’s First Law Of Holes... When in one, stop digging.
Denis Healey

ChristineM

Premium Member
Religious wars are basically people killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend.
Said to be by Napoleon Bonaparte

By the same token :-

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.
Said to be by Abraham Lincoln ;-)