• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes From Artists

PureX

Veteran Member
I really liked the "quotes from scientists" thread, but scientists aren't my 'tribe'. So I decided to do the same for the artists. Here's is a good one to start out:

An artist is somebody who enters into competition with God. - Patti Smith

PureX

Veteran Member
The key to the mystery of a great artist is that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with the feeling that something is right in the world. - Leonard Bernstein

PureX

Veteran Member
Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world. - Edward Hopper

PureX

Veteran Member
What you might consider a bad work can be of extreme interest to an artist in ways which are not about its being a good or bad. - Jasper Johns

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm a liability to them - I'm a woman, I'm empowered, I'm an artist. I've had executives who can't come to my shows they're so scared of me. I've been a thorn in many people's sides just by existing. - Alanis Morissette

PureX

Veteran Member
My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all. - John Lennon

PureX

Veteran Member
What an artist is trying to do for people is bring them closer to something, because of course art is about sharing. You wouldn't be an artist unless you wanted to share an experience, a thought. - David Hockney

PureX

Veteran Member
I always wanted to be an artist, whatever that was, like other chicks want to be stewardesses. I read. I painted. I thought. - Janis Joplin

PureX

Veteran Member
Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you're doing. If you're not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it. - Aretha Franklin

PureX

Veteran Member
I want to be an artist, not... a celluloid aphrodisiac. - Marilyn Monroe

I am an artist, and I have the ability and the free will to choose the way the world will envision me. - Lady Gaga

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
The dignity of the artist lies in his duty of keeping awake the sense of wonder in the world. In this long vigil he often has to vary his methods of stimulation; but in this long vigil he is also himself striving against a continual tendency to sleep. - Marc Chagall

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I've always liked this one from G.G. Allin:

" My mind's a machine gun, my body is the bullets, and the audience is the target."