• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes by LDS General Authorites

reyjamiei

Joseph Smith

"I had actually seen a light, and in the midst of that light I saw two Personages, and they did in reality speak to me; and though I was hated and persecuted for saying that I had seen a vision, yet it was true; and while they were persecuting me, reviling me, and speaking all manner of evil against me falsely for so saying, I was led to say in my heart: "Why persecute me for telling the truth? I have actually seen a vision; and who am I that I can withstand God, or why does the world think to make me deny what I have actually seen? For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation" (Joseph Smith-History 1:25)

"Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject." - Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p 324

"If you wish to go where God is, you must be like God or posses the principles that God possesses, for if we are not drawing towards God in principle, we are going from him and towards the devil." - Teaching of the prophet Joseph Smith

"But we ask, does it remain for a people who never had faith enough to call down one scrap of revelation from heaven, and for all they have now are indebted to the faith of another people who lived hundreds and thousands of years before them, does it remain for them to say how much God has spoken and how much He has not spoken?"

"We have what we have, and the Bible contains what it does contain; but to say that God never said anything more to man than is there recorded, would be saying at once that we have at last received a revelation: for it must require one to advance thus far, because it is nowhere said in that volume by the mouth of God, that He would not, after giving what is there contained, speak again; and if any man has found out for a fact that the Bible contains all that God ever revealed to man he has ascertained it by an immediate revelation, other than has been previously written by the prophets and apostles." - Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p 61

"One of the grand fundamental principles of Mormonism is to recieve truth. Let it come from where it may."

"God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret... I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form - like yourselves in all the personage, image, and very form as a man." - Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith p. 345

Brigham Young

"How easy it would be for your leaders to lead you to destruction, unless you actually know the mind and will of the Spirit yourselves. That is your privelege."

"If a man desires to get a good name - a good character - if he wishes to make fast friends, if he wishes wealth, comfort, joy, and peace in all of his life here on the earth, let him embrace the truth."

"If you can hear the name of Deity lightly spoken of and blasphemed, and not be shocked at it you may know that you are not in the path that leads to life and salvation."

"Do not be so full of religion as to look upon every little overt act that others may commit as being the unpardonable sin that will place them beyond the reach of redemption and the favours of our God."

"It is better to die doing good than to live doing evil."

"I want to say to my friends that we believe in all good. If you can find a truth in heaven, earth or hell, it belongs to our doctrine. We believe it; it is ours; we claim it."

David O. McKay

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother" - David O. McKay - Richard Evans Quote Book, 1971, p. 11

"In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve but how." - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay

"If we desire to learn the ideal life to lead among our fellowmen, we can find a perfect example in the life of Jesus." - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay

"Pure hearts in a pure home are always in whispering distance of heaven." - Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay

George Albert Smith

“We should not lose our tempers and abuse one another. … Nobody ever abused anybody else when he had the spirit of the Lord. It is always when we have some other spirit” - in Conference Report, Oct. 1950, p. 8.

"The Prophet Amos said: “Surely the Lord God will do nothing but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.” (Amos 3:7.) I know of nothing of great importance that has happened in the world that the Lord through his prophets has not advised the people of beforehand so that they have not been left in ignorance of what was to develop but could plan their lives, if they would, to their advantage." - Origin of Man and Prophecy Fulfilled, Tambuli, Jan. 1980, 39

Harold B. Lee

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes."

Spencer W. Kimball

"One breaks [his] priesthood covenant by transgressing commandments—but also by leaving undone his duties. Accordingly, to break this covenant one needs only to do nothing."

Ezra Taft Benson

"The Church will always stand for that which is honest, virtuous, true and praiseworthy. Such a pronounced stand for righteousness constitutes a repudiation against every evil and all false philosophies. The First Presidency and the Twelve are not oblivious to false philosophies and evils and will continue to warn the world and the Saints as the Lord directs." - May the Kingdom of God Go Forth, Ensign, May 1978, 32

Gordon B. Hinckley

"Given what we have and what we know, we ought to be a better people than we are. We ought to be more Christlike, more forgiving, more helpful and considerate to all around us." - At the Summit of the Ages, Ensign, Nov. 1999, p. 72

"The Lord is watching over this work. This is His kingdom. We are not as sheep without a shepherd. We are not as an army without a leader." - Believe His Prophets,” Ensign, May 1992, 50

"We have basic cornerstones on which the Latter-day church has been established by the Lord and built, "fitly framed together." They are absolutely fundamental to this work, the very foundation, anchors on which it stands. The first, or chief, cornerstone we recognize and honor as the Lord Jesus Christ. The second is the vision given the Prophet Joseph Smith when the Father and the Son appeared to him. The third is the Book of Mormon, which speaks as a voice from the dust with the words of ancient prophets declaring the divinity and reality of the Savior of mankind. The fourth is the priesthood with all of its powers and authority, whereby men act in the name of God in administering the affairs of his kingdom." - The Cornerstone of Our Faith, Ensign, November 1984; pgs. 50-53

Bruce R. McConkie

"Salvation and all things incident thereto center in, revolve around, and are founded upon the atoning sacrifice of Christ." - Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, Vol. 2

"What is an Elder? An Elder is a minister of the Lord Jesus Christ. He holds the holy Melchizedek Priesthood. He is commissioned to stand in the place and stead of his Master - who is the chief Elder - in ministering to his fellowmen. He is the Lord's agent. His appointment is to preach the gospel and perfect the Saints." - Only An Elder, Regional Representatives Seminar, Oct. 1974

"My salvation (and yours also) does depend on our ability to understand the writings of Isaiah."