• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quote of the Day

arthra

Baha'i
"Give ear, O King, unto the Voice that calleth from the Fire which burneth in this verdant Tree, on this Sinai which hath been raised above the hallowed and snow-white Spot, beyond the Everlasting City; 'Verily, there is none other God but Me, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful!' We, in truth, have sent Him Whom We aided with the Holy Spirit (Jesus Christ) that He may announce unto you this Light that hath shone forth from the horizon of the will of your Lord, the Most Exalted, the All-Glorious, and Whose signs have been revealed in the West.

Set your faces towards Him (Bahá'u'lláh), on this Day which God hath exalted above all other days, and whereon the All-Merciful hath shed the splendor of His effulgent glory upon all who are in heaven and all who are on earth. Arise thou to serve God and help His Cause. He, verily, will assist thee with the hosts of the seen and unseen, and will set thee king over all that whereon the sun riseth.

Thy Lord, in truth, is the All-Powerful, the Almighty.

~ Baha'u'llah, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 47

arthra

Baha'i
Know that the firmament of the bright sun of the world of possibilities is divided into twelve sections, according to mathematical principles, which are called the twelve constellations; likewise, the Sun of Truth manifests and pours forth His bounty in twelve constellations of holiness. By these constellations are meant holy souls who are the manifestations of purity and the dawning-points of the lights of Unity.

Observe that in the day of His Holiness the Speaker of God (Moses), there were twelve holy souls who were the leaders of the Truth. In like manner, in the cycle of His Holiness the Spirit (Jesus Christ), note that there were twelve apostles under the shadow of the light of the Most High, and the Sun of Truth was manifested through those bright dawning-places like unto the phenomenal sun. Likewise, in the time of His Holiness Mohammed, consider that there were twelve dawning points of holiness who were the manifestations of confirmation. Such is the case.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. 92)

arthra

Baha'i
Bahá'u'lláh Himself was fully aware of His station from childhood. In one of His Tablets [2-4] He describes that when He was very young He was overcome by a condition which completely affected His manners, His thoughts and His words.
A transfiguration took place, the ocean of utterance[1] began to surge within Him, and this condition, Bahá'u'lláh testifies, continued throughout His life.[2] Some may find this statement contrary to the belief that Bahá'u'lláh received the intimation of His station in the Siyah-Chal of Tihran. 'Abdu'l-Bahá has explained in His Writings 57 that a Manifestation of God is always a Manifestation. Even from childhood, long before He receives the call of Prophethood, He has all the powers of the Manifestation latent within Him. He describes this state as a lamp which is hidden under a bushel, its light hidden from the eyes of men. He also likens Him to a man who is asleep and does not reveal His powers until the hour strikes for the birth of His Mission.

[1 Bahá'u'lláh has often referred to the outpouring of His Revelation as the surging of the ocean of His utterance.]
[2 For a further discussion of this subject, see The Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh, vol. 2, pp. 346-9.]

(Adib Taherzadeh, The Covenant of Baha'u'llah, p. 56)

arthra

Baha'i
Create in me a pure heart, O my God, and renew a tranquil conscience within me, O my Hope! Through the spirit of power confirm Thou me in Thy Cause, O my Best-Beloved, and by the light of Thy glory reveal unto me Thy path, O Thou the Goal of my desire! Through the power of Thy transcendent might lift me up unto the heaven of Thy holiness, O Source of my being, 142 and by the breezes of Thine eternity gladden me, O Thou Who art my God! Let Thine everlasting melodies breathe tranquillity on me, O my Companion, and let the riches of Thine ancient countenance deliver me from all except Thee, O my Master, and let the tidings of the revelation of Thine incorruptible Essence bring me joy, O Thou Who art the most manifest of the manifest and the most hidden of the hidden!

- Bahá'u'lláh
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 139)

arthra

Baha'i
In the ocean he findeth a drop, in a drop he beholdeth the secrets of the sea.
Split the atom's heart, and lo!
Within it thou wilt find a sun. [1]

[1 Persian mystic poem.]

~ Baha'u'llah, The Seven Valleys, p. 11

arthra

Baha'i
The Divine Polity

Let them refrain from associating themselves, whether by word or by deed, with the political pursuits of their respective nations, with the policies of their governments and the schemes and programs of parties and factions. In such controversies they should assign no blame, take no side, further no design, and identify themselves with no system prejudicial to the best interests of that world-wide Fellowship which it is their aim to guard and foster. Let them beware lest they allow themselves to become the tools of unscrupulous politicians, or to be entrapped by the treacherous devices of the plotters and the perfidious among their countrymen. Let them so shape their lives and regulate their conduct that no charge of secrecy, of fraud, of bribery or of intimidation may, however ill-founded, be brought against them. Let them rise above all particularism and partisanship, above the vain disputes, the petty calculations, the transient passions that agitate the face, and engage the attention, of a changing world. It is their duty to strive to distinguish, 65 as clearly as they possibly can, and if needed with the aid of their elected representatives, such posts and functions as are either diplomatic or political from those that are purely administrative in character, and which under no circumstances are affected by the changes and chances that political activities and party government, in every land, must necessarily involve. Let them affirm their unyielding determination to stand, firmly and unreservedly, for the way of Bahá'u'lláh, to avoid the entanglements and bickerings inseparable from the pursuits of the politician, and to become worthy agencies of that Divine Polity which incarnates God's immutable Purpose for all men.

~ Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 64

arthra

Baha'i
"O people of the world, ye are all the fruit of one tree and the leaves of one branch. Walk with perfect charity, concord, affection, and agreement. I swear by the Sun of Truth, the light of agreement shall brighten and illumine the horizons. The all-knowing Truth hath been and is the witness to this saying. Endeavor to attain to this high supreme station which is the station of protection and preservation of mankind. This is the intent of the King of intentions, and this the hope of the Lord of hopes."

"We trust that God will assist the kings of the earth to illuminate and adorn the earth with the refulgent light of the Sun of Justice. At one time We spoke in the language of the Law, at another time in the language of the Truth and the Way; and the ultimate object and remote aim was the showing forth of this high supreme station. And God sufficeth for witness."

"O friends, consort with all the people of the world with joy and fragrance. If there be to you a word or essence whereof others than you are devoid, communicate it and show it forth in the language of affection and kindness: if it be received and be effective the object is attained, and if not leave it to him, and with regard to him deal not harshly but pray. The language of kindness is the lodestone of hearts and the food of the soul; it stands in the relation of ideas to words, and is as an horizon for the shining of the Sun of Wisdom and Knowledge."

~ Baha'u'llah quoted in Abdu'l-Baha's A Traveller's Narrative, p. 42

arthra

Baha'i
All the prophets have striven to make love manifest in the hearts of men. His Holiness Jesus Christ sought to create this love in the hearts. He suffered all difficulties and ordeals that perchance the human heart might become the fountain-source of love. Therefore we must strive with all our heart and soul that this love may take possession of us so that all humanity whether it be in the east or in the west may be connected through the bond of this divine affection; for we are all the waves of one sea; we have come into being through the same bestowal and are recipients from the same center.

The lights of earth are all acceptable, but the center of effulgence is the sun and we must direct our gaze to the sun. God is the supreme center. The more we turn toward this center of light, the greater will be our capacity.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 218

arthra

Baha'i
This is the truth and there is naught beyond the truth save error. Know thou assuredly that-
Love is the mystery of divine revelations!
Love is the effulgent manifestation!
Love is the spiritual fulfillment!
Love is the light of the Kingdom!
Love is the breath of the Holy Spirit inspired into the human spirit!
Love is the cause of the manifestation of the Truth (God) in the phenomenal world!
Love is the necessary tie proceeding from the realities of things through divine creation!
Love is the means of the most great happiness in both the material and spiritual worlds!
Love is a light of guidance in the dark night!
Love is a bond between the Creator and the creature in the inner world!
Love is the cause of development to every enlightened man!
Love is the greatest law in this vast universe of God!
Love is the one law which causeth and controlleth order among the existing atoms!
Love is the universal magnetic power between the planets and stars shining in the lofty firmament!
Love is the cause of unfoldment to a searching mind, of the secrets deposited in the universe by the Infinite!
Love is the spirit of life in the bountiful body of the world!
Love is the cause of the civilization of nations in this mortal world!
Love is the highest honor to every righteous nation!

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v3, p. 524)

arthra

Baha'i
"I hope thou wilt ride thy steed in this field as much as thou canst and that thou mayest know nothing except praising, worshiping and extolling the Sun of the World of Creation."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v2, p. 279

arthra

Baha'i
The most momentous question of this day is international peace and arbitration, and universal peace is impossible without universal suffrage. Children are educated by the women. The mother bears the troubles and anxieties of rearing the child, undergoes the ordeal of its birth and training. Therefore, it is most difficult for mothers to send to the battlefield those upon whom they have lavished such love and care. Consider a son reared and trained twenty years by a devoted mother. What sleepless nights and restless, anxious days she has spent! Having brought him through dangers and difficulties to the age of maturity, how agonizing then to sacrifice him upon the battlefield! Therefore, the mothers will not sanction war nor be satisfied with it. So it will come to pass that when women participate fully and equally in the affairs of the world, when they enter confidently and capably the great arena of laws and politics, war will cease; for woman will be the obstacle and hindrance to it. This is true and without doubt.

("The Promulgation of Universal Peace: Talks Delivered by 'Abdu'l-Bahá during His Visit to the United States and Canada in 1912", pp. 134-35)
(Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol II, p. 168)

arthra

Baha'i
In older Dispensations, the Manifestations of God left their words to posterity, and in most cases the gist of these words were recorded and compiled, so constituting the Holy Books of the major religions. But since there was no provision made for further guidance, the followers were left free to interpret the utterances as they pleased. History shows that as a result of this freedom, people disagreed in their understanding of the teachings. The followers grossly interfered with the Word of God; they compromised the laws and precepts 101 which were promulgated by the Prophet. Man-made dogmas and rituals were added, human innovations and practices were introduced and, as in the analogy of the reservoir, the purity of the teachings was lost.

It was because of this freedom to interpret the words of the Prophet and the freedom to interfere in His teachings that differences appeared among the followers. Schisms took place and sects and denominations were created within a religion. The unity and love which had existed among the followers during the lifetime of the Founder of the religion disappeared after Him and in the course of time were replaced by enmity and contention.

In this Dispensation the Revelation of the Word of God has taken a different form altogether. Whereas in former times the words of the Prophets, in most cases, were recorded years after their revelation, the words of Bahá'u'lláh were taken down by His amanuensis the moment they were uttered. In some cases even He Himself inscribed the verses revealed to Him. These writings, usually referred to as Sacred Text, or Tablets, are preserved and safeguarded and their authenticity assured.

~ Adib Taherzadeh, The Covenant of Baha'u'llah, p. 100

arthra

Baha'i
True Bahá'í meetings are the mirrors of the Kingdom wherein images of the Supreme Concourse are reflected. In them the lights of the most great guidance are visible. They voice the summons of the heavenly Kingdom and echo the call of the angelic hosts to every listening ear. The efficacy of such meetings as these is permanent throughout the ages. This assembly has a name and significance which will last forever. Hundreds of thousands of meetings shall be held to commemorate this occasion, and the very words I speak to you today shall be repeated in them for ages to come. Therefore, be ye rejoiced, for ye are sheltered beneath the providence of God. Be happy and joyous because the bestowals of God are intended for you and the life of the Holy Spirit is breathing upon you.

Rejoice, for the heavenly table is prepared for you.
Rejoice, for the angels of heaven are your assistants and helpers.
Rejoice, for the glance of the Blessed Beauty, Bahá'u'lláh, is
directed upon you.

Rejoice, for Bahá'u'lláh is your Protector.
Rejoice, for the everlasting glory is destined for you.
Rejoice, for the eternal life is awaiting you.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 213

arthra

Baha'i
In this Book He, moreover, prescribes the obligatory
prayers; designates the time and period of fasting; prohibits
congregational prayer except for the dead; fixes the Qiblih;
institutes the Huququ'lláh (Right of God); formulates the
law of inheritance; ordains the institution of the Mashriqu'l-Adhkar;
establishes the Nineteen Day Feast, the Bahá'í
festivals and the Intercalary Days; abolishes the institution
of priesthood; prohibits slavery, asceticism, mendicancy,
monasticism, penance, the use of pulpits and the kissing of
hands; prescribes monogamy; condemns cruelty to animals,
idleness and sloth, backbiting and calumny; censures
divorce; interdicts gambling, the use of opium, wine and
other intoxicating drinks; specifies the punishments for
murder, arson, adultery and theft; stresses the importance of
marriage and lays down its essential conditions; imposes the
obligation of engaging in some trade or profession, exalting
such occupation to the rank of worship; emphasizes the
necessity of providing the means for the education of
children; and lays upon every person the duty of writing a
testament and of strict obedience to one's government.

From Shoghi Effendi

~ Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 14

arthra

Baha'i
82. Verily, it is enjoined upon you to offer a feast, once
in every month # 57

This injunction has become the basis for the holding of
monthly Bahá'í festivities and as such constitutes the
ordination of the Nineteen Day Feast. In the Arabic Bayan
the Báb called upon His followers to gather together once
every nineteen days to show hospitality and fellowship.
Bahá'u'lláh here confirms this and notes the unifying role of
such occasions.
'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi after Him have
gradually unfolded the institutional significance of this
injunction. 'Abdu'l-Bahá emphasized the importance of the
spiritual and devotional character of these gatherings.
Shoghi Effendi, besides further elaborating the devotional
and social aspects of the Feast, has developed the
administrative element of such gatherings and, in systematically
instituting the Feast, has provided for a period of
consultation on the affairs of the Bahá'í community,
including the sharing of news and messages.
In answer to a question as to whether this injunction is
obligatory, Bahá'u'lláh stated it was not (Q and A 48). Shoghi
Effendi in a letter written on his behalf further comments:

Attendance at Nineteen Day Feasts is not obligatory
but very important, and every believer should consider it
a duty and privilege to be present on such occasions.

From the Kitab-i-Aqdas p. 202

arthra

Baha'i
First, you must become united and agreed among yourselves.

You must be exceedingly kind and loving toward each other, willing to forfeit life in the pathway of another's happiness.

You must be ready to sacrifice your possessions in another's behalf. The rich among you must show compassion toward the poor, and the well-to-do must look after those in distress.

In Persia the friends offer their lives for each other, striving to assist and advance the interests and welfare of all the rest. They live in a perfect state of unity and agreement. Like the Persian friends you must be perfectly agreed and united to the extent and limit of sacrificing life. Your utmost desire must be to confer happiness upon each other.

Each one must be the servant of the others, thoughtful of their comfort and welfare. In the path of God one must forget himself entirely.

He must not consider his own pleasure but seek the pleasure of others.

He must not desire glory nor gifts of bounty for himself but seek these gifts and blessings for his brothers and sisters.

It is my hope that you may become like this, that you may attain to the supreme bestowal and be imbued with such spiritual qualities as to forget yourselves entirely and with heart and soul offer yourselves as sacrifices for the Blessed Perfection.

You should have neither will nor desire of your own but seek everything for the beloved of God and live together in complete love and fellowship.

May the favors of Bahá'u'lláh surround you from all directions. This is the greatest bestowal and supreme bounty. These are the infinite favors of God.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 214

arthra

Baha'i
In this present age the world of humanity is afflicted with severe sicknesses and grave disorders which threaten death. Therefore, Bahá'u'lláh has appeared. He is the real Physician, bringing divine remedy and healing to the world of man.

He has brought teachings for all ailments -- the Hidden Words, Ishraqat, Tarazat, Tajalliyat, Words of Paradise, Glad Tidings, etc. These Holy Words and teachings are the remedy for the body politic, the divine prescription and real cure for the disorders which afflict the world.

Therefore, we must accept and partake of this healing remedy in order that complete recovery may be assured.

Every soul who lives according to the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh is free from the ailments and indispositions which prevail throughout the world of humanity; otherwise, selfish disorders, intellectual maladies, spiritual sicknesses, imperfections and vices will surround him, and he will not receive the life-giving bounties of God.

Bahá'u'lláh is the real Physician. He has diagnosed human conditions and indicated the necessary treatment.

The essential principles of His healing remedies are the knowledge and love of God,
severance from all else save God,
turning our faces in sincerity toward the Kingdom of God,
implicit faith, firmness and fidelity, loving-kindness toward all creatures
and the acquisition of the divine virtues indicated for the human world.

These are the fundamental principles of progress, civilization, international peace and the unity of mankind. These are the essentials of Bahá'u'lláh's teachings, the secret of everlasting health, the remedy and healing for man.

It is my hope that you may assist in healing the sick body of the world through these teachings so that eternal radiance may illumine all the nations of mankind.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 204

arthra

Baha'i
The Great Being saith: The Tongue of Wisdom proclaimeth: He that hath Me not is bereft of all things. Turn ye away from all that is on earth and seek none else but Me. I am the Sun of Wisdom and the Ocean of Knowledge. I cheer the faint and revive the dead. I am the guiding Light that illumineth the way. I am the royal Falcon on the arm of the Almighty. I unfold the drooping wings of every broken bird and start it on its flight.

~ Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 169

arthra

Baha'i
O Lord!

Should the breaths of the Holy Spirit confirm the weakest of creatures, he shall attain to the highest station of greatness and shall possess anything he desireth.

Indeed Thou hast assisted Thy servants in the past, and they were the weakest of Thy creatures, the lowliest of Thy servants and the most insignificant of those who lived upon the earth; but through Thy sanction and potency they took precedence over the most glorious of Thy people and the most noble of Thy mankind.

Whereas formerly they were as moths, they became royal falcons and whereas before they were as bubbles they became seas. Through Thy bestowal, Thy mercy and Thy most great favor, they became stars shining in the horizon of guidance, birds singing in the rose garden of immortality, lions roaring in the forest of knowledge and wisdom, and whales swimming in the oceans of life.

Verily, Thou art the clement, the powerful, the mighty, and the most merciful of the merciful!

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith , p. 423

arthra

Baha'i
Welcome to the Forum Hada...!

Here's a quote for today from the Baha'i Writings:

If in this day a soul shall act according to the precepts and the counsels of God, he will serve as a divine physician to mankind, and like the trump of Israfil,[1] he will call the dead of this contingent world to life; for the confirmations of the Abha Realm are never interrupted, and such a virtuous soul hath, to befriend him, the unfailing help of the Company on high. Thus shall a sorry gnat become an eagle in the fulness of his strength, and a feeble sparrow change to a royal falcon in the heights of ancient glory.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 23