• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

quote for me

Thief

Rogue Theologian
ACT as though you have faith and faith will be given

can't recall the passage

not sure where I got the line
any help?

exchemist

Veteran Member

can't recall the passage

any help?
The internet says it was somebody called Leo in a TV series called the West Wing.

Probably not from scripture at all. It sounds cynical.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

can't recall the passage

any help?

Matthew 21:18-22 ?

Believe and belief will be given? Don't really need scripture to understand that.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

can't recall the passage

any help?

As ye have faith so shall your powers and blessings be.

1. Have faith and confidence that the power will flow through you, the right way will appear, the door will open, the right thought, the right message, the right principle or the right book will be given you. Have confidence, and the right thing will come to your need. Then, as you rise from prayer, take at once the fifth step.

lastly, ACT; Act as though it had all been answered. Then act with tireless, ceaseless energy. And as you act, you, yourself, will become a magnet, which will attract more power to your being, until you become an unobstructed channel for the Divine power to flow through you.

Here’s some of what you mentioned. It’s called the 5 steps of prayer. You can read all the 5 steps at this link.

Dynamics of Prayer

exchemist

Veteran Member
Matthew 21:18-22 ?

Believe and belief will be given? Don't really need scripture to understand that.
That's not what that passage says. It says if you believe, then your prayers will be answered.

It most certainly does not say anything about acting as if you believe, i.e. faking it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's not what that passage says. It says if you believe, then your prayers will be answered.

It most certainly does not say anything about acting as if you believe, i.e. faking it.

If your prayers are answered, don't you think that that would support your belief?

Not necessarily "faking it" but neither fully accepting it without doubt.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
If your prayers are answered, don't you that that would support your belief?

Not necessarily "faking it" but neither fully accepting it without doubt.
Your prayers will be answered if you believe, is hardly the same as if you act as if you believe then you will find you do believe.

But it's hardly worth a big discussion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Imo, it ls a complicated part of Gospel

What I'm thinking is how your mind and body reacts physiologically. For example if you force yourself to laugh, even if you are sad, your body will release endorphins, whatever chemicals which will make you feel happy.

So the mind reacts to what the body does. So if you go through the motions your body will provide the feelings. he feelings of sacredness, divine experience. In belief, feelings are more than half the battle. You feel a divine presence, you feel happier, you feel your burdens lifted, etc..

In fact I've read many religious rituals have been designed to elicit such feelings. The more one enacts the rituals, go through the motions, the more these feelings are physiologically induced.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What I'm thinking is how your mind and body reacts physiologically. For example if you force yourself to laugh, even if you are sad, your body will release endorphins, whatever chemicals which will make you feel happy.

So the mind reacts to what the body does. So if you go through the motions your body will provide the feelings. he feelings of sacredness, divine experience. In belief, feelings are more than half the battle. You feel a divine presence, you feel happier, you feel your burdens lifted, etc..

In fact I've read many religious rituals have been designed to elicit such feelings. The more one enacts the rituals, go through the motions, the more these feelings are physiologically induced.
Aha now I begin to understand what you are driving at. Yes, I can relate to that, certainly. Part of the point of ritual and ceremony in the church - and for me the music - is to help people get in the mood.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

can't recall the passage

any help?
I think it's one of those things we come to think of as scripture until we try to look it up, and then discover it's not.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think it's one of those things we come to think of as scripture until we try to look it up, and then discover it's not.
yeah...but as others have posted....
there are words that can be construed to the effect

I for one don't believe
acting as though faith is yours will bring you faith

I suspect
God and heaven will note your motivations

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
yeah...but as others have posted....
there are words that can be construed to the effect

I for one don't believe
acting as though faith is yours will bring you faith