• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quote about the origin of violence?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Not entirely confident where this post belongs ... so I stuck it here. Move it if you like ...

Hope you're all well

Just cruising and found this quote -

jiddu-krishnamurti-474606.jpg

TOP 25 QUOTES BY JIDDU KRISHNAMURTI (of 628) | A-Z Quotes

Let me know whether you agree with it or not!

Have a great day!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Disagree. Blame the victim mentality. This could be taken as a Carde Blanche for those prone to violence to be violent to anyone they perceive as "different." They can just make up a label, apply it to someone, and be "justified" in their being violent to someone. (aka scapegoating.)

Last edited:

etong

Violence comes from evolutionary ancestors who fought other animals for survival,it's a common trait

When in doubt, Science can answer!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, tribalism is divisive and leads to exploitation and violence. Christianity and Islam seek to extinguish it, and form a unified, cosmopolitan society. Alas, people seem to ignore this. Churches still seem to think patriotism is a good thing.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Violence comes from evolutionary ancestors who fought other animals for survival,it's a common trait

When in doubt, Science can answer!
Other animals, or other tribes? People love to fight each other.

74x12

Not entirely confident where this post belongs ... so I stuck it here. Move it if you like ...

Hope you're all well

Have a great day!
Violence is force. I could turn this around and say if you force yourself on someone who doesn't really want to be around you; then you're violent. If people want to be separate; they have that right.

Jedster

Is being attacked by a man with a gun "good enough" for you?
Still there is no need to harm that person, disarm yes, but no need to harm

Good for you that you disarmed him. Was the attacker stoned or did you use martial art?
How about knife attacks where the only way is to disable by a solid punch or a firm kick in the goolies(testicles).
I grew up in a small (minority)community that were continually attacked; the police didn't care.
It all changed when some of us fought back.
Some people are given to violence and are beyond being helped by words.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Hope you're all well

Have a great day!

I tend to agree, but there seems to be a natural violence within us as well (as a species, and hardly unique to us), perhaps as a natural reaction to events or how we perceive reality. A mother (of most species), will react violently to any harm threatened to their child. That seems to be quite natural. Our instinct for survival might also do the same - fighting over the last lifeboat, for example. But, as I said earlier, the imposition or recognition of labels is possibly the most serious aspect that often invokes violence these days. It seems that we can't but fail to label others - just so convenient, and it saves all the hard work of compassion, understanding, and tolerance. :rolleyes:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Good for you that you disarmed him. Was the attacker stoned or did you use martial art?
How about knife attacks where the only way is to disable by a solid punch or a firm kick in the goolies(testicles).
I grew up in a small (minority)community that were continually attacked; the police didn't care.
It all changed when some of us fought back.
Some people are given to violence and are beyond being helped by words.
If it was martial art or just a technique used to disarm him does not matter, the point is,one does not need to punch or kick someone after they have been put down.
As a buddhist i see no good reason to harm other , Where i grew up was based on good people who do not want to harm others. But in the City they did look at it differently yes.

The origin of violence is in our evolution. Our brains evolved to separate people into different groups, just as it evolved to enable violence.

Wishy-washy utopian fantasies of human unity and the 'total understanding of mankind' are harmful and stand as a barrier to (more) peaceful coexistence.