• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick question for everyone

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am no expert in bible verse, but it sound to me that God is within you even you end up in Hell, so technically it would mean that if you can turn your self back to good deeds, you can get out of Hell. Just never forget God fully.

Maybe i am very wrong here?

LightofTruth

In Psalms 139:8 it says David can make his bed in hell and God would be there.Do you think the translation in the kjv of the bible is the right one?I do.
"Brothers, I can tell you with confidence that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day." (Acts 2:29)

David's bed was made in the grave. He is in the sleep of death. However, God's power over David has not terminated because there is to be a resurrection of the dead.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In Psalms 139:8 it says David can make his bed in hell and God would be there.Do you think the translation in the kjv of the bible is the right one?I do.

When I read it through, It is David talking the the lord saying basically where ever he is or ends up, he will be Gods servant. The Hell mentioned then is how David understands hell to be and I wouldn't know that.

exchemist

Veteran Member
@bobhikes makes the right point here. The speaker is using hyperbole as a way of saying how steadfast God is. Do not fall into the trap of silly and unimaginative literalists. Read it with a literary sensibility.

Also, Sheol is the the grave, the place of the dead, Hades. It does not mean Hell.

Mike.Hester

Why is David so revered? He should be in hell and his evil conspirator, god also. Interesting translation ie "grave". He had many wives and concubines,In order to marry his first wife he is required to bring 100 chopped off foreskins to her father(He brings 200).His second wife was Abigail already married to Nabal.David attempted to blackmail Nabal, but god his co-conspirator smote him instead. He is a peeping tom spying on Bathsheba who is married to Uriah. He causes Uriah to lead a charge who is then killed. David slaughters thousands of Philistines. He dances almost naked in front of young girls. In short he is a lecher,a thief, a murderer and a bandit. I only know of one other prophet who is worse than David (due to political correctness,I can not mention his name).Now, if you understand a solar myth,the role of David makes perfect sense in mythology.

moorea944

Verse 8 is not literal, it is figurative, read the whole chapter and the next verse. David loves his God and knows that He is everywhere.

Psalms 139 also tells us that it is impossible to hide from God, even if we wanted to. God’s presence is up in Heaven, and down in the lowest pit. He is in the farthest island. The Lord is in the darkness and the light. Surely, “when I awake, I am still with Thee” (Psa 139:18).

David, on realising that God knew everything about him, including all the things he did concluded that he was fearfully and wonderfully made. When we appreciate that our God knows everything about us - the things we say, do and even think - how does that make us feel? Are we afraid of Him? How would we behave if someone we loved and respected knew everything that we thought or did? A personal prayer that acknowledges God's ability to know everything and see everywhere and pleads to be made free of any secret faults.

Last edited:

I believe it is the same hell as in Luke 16:19-31.

It is Sheol, or Hades, or grave in that. It is not the same as Gehenna, the fire lake where body and soul are destroyed.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [Gehenna].
Matt. 10:28

LightofTruth

It is Sheol, or Hades, or grave in that. It is not the same as Gehenna, the fire lake where body and soul are destroyed.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [Gehenna].
Matt. 10:28
If people have immortal souls then they can't be destroyed, by definition. An immortal soul is a deathless soul. It is therefore absurd to say that an immortal soul could be killed or destroyed.

But yet most of Christianity is in the business of trying to save immortal souls.:confused:

LightofTruth

By what the Bible tells, people don’t have immortal soul, at least not all.
I asked a Roman Catholic scholar the question, "when was man given an immortal soul?" he replied, "At his creation".
That, my friend, is the mother of all lies.

Immortal souls don't need to be saved from death because an immortal soul is a deathless soul. But all those churches send out missionaries who job it is to save immortal souls. They don't know that immortal souls don't need saving. The souls that need saving are mortal souls.

Hawkins

Yes, hell in the verse refers to sheol. Hell is with either an English or German origin, which can refer to both sheol/Hades or a burning hell.

Sheol (Hades when translated to Greek) is a place for custody of all human souls by default, unless you are brought (with a super force from God or angels) you will be in sheol by default. In Jewish concept, sheol is somehow zoned. They believe that the wicked are treated differently from the good souls. The good souls are in paradise and are protected by God. That's why when they are in sheol they are with God, unlike the wicked.

The concept are upheld by the Jews in majority. It is however not in the written form clearly because the Jews are divided into different sects. The Sadducee believe no such things, while they have a say in the assembly of the the Great Sanhedrin to exclude any written books which make the concept more obvious, such as the book of Enoch. However ancient Judaism is not in the hands of the Sadducees but in the hands of the Pharisees. That's why all Jewish Bible published are with the Pharisaic Canon of which the Sadducees only reckon the first 5 books.

Last edited:

...Immortal souls don't need to be saved from death because an immortal soul is a deathless soul. But all those churches send out missionaries who job it is to save immortal souls. They don't know that immortal souls don't need saving. The souls that need saving are mortal souls.

I think people don’t have immortal souls, but, even if people would have, it is possible that they could be saved for example from judgement or something else. Immortality would only mean they would not die, but many other things could happen.