• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions...

Audie

Veteran Member
A prayer got answered or he received a personal experience of the Divine or he went to church to find answers...
Close enough maybe.

It was a yes or no question he was posing
for "god" to answer. Prayed hard and long,
"Is it true?"

His account made me think of my indecision
re which grad school to attend. A, B, or, C.

I would lie awake, trying to decide. Eat yogurt
while worrying about it. Day after day.

Then out of nowhere, it would come to me,
the definite this is it, Answer! B!

But then I would be back at it, thinking, and
IT would speak again, with unmistakeable
authority! "A! You must study at A!"

And so on. Ok, so one part of your mind gets
tired of the stress, tries to end it, and to some
like our LDS friend, it is taken to be..TA DA!
THE VOICE OF GOD!

How do you suppose "god" would have answered
if he'd kept praying, "Is the BOM true???"

The human mind is a quirky things but this
type of "answer" is not that hard to figure.

So why don't you go ask your "god" for an actual answer instead of making up wild guesses?
Well, it is not really a wild guess. That is what is laid out by John 3:16. God wants to show love for his creation. I am saying this, as I am sure, does not explain the complete reasoning, but it sure does make sense within the context of the Bible that that was a part of it. Why is it also such a contentious reply when it comest to these questions? Sarcasm will not get you to the truth.

Jos

How do you suppose "god" would have answered
if he'd kept praying, "Is the BOM true???"
Well since humans have a tendency towards confirmation bias (confirming what we already believe) then I guess God answered " yes, BOM is true".

Audie

Veteran Member
Well since humans have a tendency towards confirmation bias (confirming what we already believe) then I guess God answered " yes, BOM is true".

As he is from a Mormon family, it is more than a little
probable that his prayer, as far as the subconscious
was concerned, was, to "say yes".

I am highly confident that "god" did not step in to
back up Joseph Smith's story about finding gold books
in a cave in upstate New York!

Jos

I am highly confident that "god" did not step in to
back up Joseph Smith's story about finding gold books
in a cave in upstate New York!
Yeah me too. Mormonism conflicts with other sects of Christianity, doesn't it?

Hawkins

First question for people of a Christian persuasion:
Why did God create anything at all if He existed by Himself in perfect relationship as a Holy Trinity having everything He would ever want or need?

Because one's existence is told by others' witnessing. It doesn't make any difference God exists or not if no others to tell that God exists. If you are put into a vast space alone, then what's the point of either you exists or not!

Jos

Because one's existence is told by others' witnessing. It doesn't make any difference God exists or not if no others to tell that God exists. If you are put into a vast space alone, then what's the point of either you exists or not!
So God doesn't exist unless there are people around to witness His existence?

Jos

So what's the point of you exists or not in the vast space? Do you have a point?
What are you trying to ask? Your question's a bit jumbled... are you trying to ask if I would exist if I just existed alone in space with no one else around?

Hawkins

What are you trying to ask? Your question's a bit jumbled... are you trying to ask if I would exist if I just existed alone in space with no one else around?

I simply asked you a question. Why don't you just answer that question sincerely?

If you answer the question sincerely, your own answer may be illustrative to your own question in OP. That's my point!

9-18-1

I think the motivation behind it is that God is seen as the ultimate authority over everything and since authority is normally associated with masculinity, they refer to all members of the Trinity using masculine pronouns. Although they'll also say that God has both masculine and feminine traits.

As with creation and God's will? How are they the same thing in two differing stages?

Well the process of creation as outlined in Genesis requires three components: a shared will, will to bestow, will to receive. For example Genesis 1:3

And GOD said, (shared will between +/-)
'Let be light,' (will to bestow +)
and light was. (will to receive -)

Which is a synthesis of 'GOD' being both 'male and female' and having an image (+) and a likeness (-).

This is all clear in the original books of Moses but none of the religious institutions pay attention to it - mostly because they are patriarchal and attempt to exercise dominion over the feminine aspect which is not even how 'creation' works according to Genesis.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Sorry Jos, been sidetracked on other threads.....so to answer your questions...this is how we see things.....

Why couldn't God just create new individual humans without a sin nature?

Understanding free will, means that those observing (other free willed angels who had not yet decided to join satan in his rebellion) were watching to see what God would do about this situation This had never happened before, so it was something new and disturbing.......how God handled it would determine everyone's future....the angel's as well as man's. There was a lot riding on the outcome that would impact us all forever.

If God had simply allowed the now imperfect humans to live and made a new batch of sinless ones, imagine where that would have led? If the new batch had remained sinless and the old batch stayed as they were, then the human race would have become a 'mish-mash' of sinful and sinless individuals. How would that have achieved anything or answered satan's bold accusations?

Or if God had wiped out all three rebels and started again....what was to stop another "satan" (resistor) from demanding a response to the devil's accusations? Those issues had to be settled once and for all. So right there in Eden, God uttered his first prophesy in Genesis 3:15. The players in this prophesy remained a mystery for thousands of years but as they got closer to their fulfillment, God released more and more information to clarify his long range plans to rescue Adam's children from the sin they inherited from him. He would provide a "seed" who would deal the devil a mortal head wound, but not until satan had delivered a heel wound. As time went on, things became clearer and clearer. (Proverbs 4:18)

Where did he indicate this?

1 Corinthians 13:8-13....
"...But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. . . . . When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, to think as a child, to reason as a child; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the traits of a child.. . . .Now, however, these three remain: faith, hope, love; but the greatest of these is love."

Paul likened the miracles as something to attract spiritual "children" .....he said that the miracles would give way to more mature aspects of spirituality..."faith, hope and love". They did not have the complete word of God back then, but once that complete word was in the hands of Christ's disciples (i.e. the Hebrew scriptures along with the gospels written by the apostles as well as the letters of Paul and others) they would have a fuller understanding of God's purpose.

So it's sinful for believers to heal themselves?

I don't think "sinful" is the word.....since the miracles were for the benefit of unbelievers to draw them to the Christ, it would have been "inappropriate" to use them selfishly. I could liken it to the donations people make to charity being used up by administration costs. No one should be able to profit from charity....it is inappropriate. If people get paid, it is a business. If they volunteer, its a charity. Same with people donating to a ministry...if the Pastor uses those funds for personal gain, that is inappropriate.

How exactly do proponents of evolution use this tactic? If evolution is true then they wouldn't need to use this tactic.

Bingo! They have to use 'perception management' to sell their product. Most people who are raised with a belief in God need some kind of persuasion to eliminate him from their lives. He is a very strong presence, depending on your upbringing. Some are not raised to see God as a loving Father, but as a harsh judge who demands that we comply with his wishes, or he will fry us in hellfire forever. Do such people love God or are they just afraid of him? Who wouldn't want to come out from under that suffocating blanket? They need little convincing.
But the ones raised to see God as a loving Father will hang onto him because they have a relationship with him. So many people just go through the motions of being "Christians" without having any real relationship with their Creator or making any real commitment to him.

At Hebrews 11:6 Paul wrote..."Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him."

Faith is a requirement, so how can you have faith in someone you don't know? We have to believe that he is.....not that he might exist....but to "know" that he does. We cannot do that without personal interaction. The rewards he hold out to thank us for our love and loyalty are not pipe dreams.....they are solid promises made by the one who created everything. He made us to be incentive-oriented. We live for rewards if you think about it. Every time we sit down to a favorite meal, our taste buds reward us. Every time we see something beautiful, our minds are flooded with chemicals that affect how we feel. Every time we endure a painful operation, the success of that operation makes all the pain worth it. We go to work for the paycheck.....we embark on a career because we hope it will reward us with a decent lifestyle. Do you see...?

Science uses what it knows to sell what it can only suggest. Men of science are held in high esteem by the academic world and academia is the producer of the world's greatest minds...or so we are told. But when you have men like Richard Dawkins and his ilk, using ridicule and derision to make their opponents feel like uneducated fools, then he is playing on people's egos, not promoting science at all. (a read of the creation V evolution threads will tell you this) Evolution on the scale that science claims is a deception designed to make God go away. He never will.

I get that but why command and Eve to have kids knowing it would lead to a perpetuation of original sin and all these negative effects on humans of later generations?

It was part of his original mandate. He had to settle the issue of who is the world's better ruler, or else just wipe them out and start again with no guarantee that it wouldn't happen all over again, and again. It would be admitting that free will was a mistake.....so was it a mistake? Or is it a gift to appreciate? Was it a curse to be eliminated? By our own choices we would show God that we either appreciate his gift.....or demonstrate what an ugly curse it really is. This is two sides of one coin......heads or tails? Our choice.

Intresting but I was taught He was a personal masculine force... Isn't the Holy Spirit, God's spirit?

God is a spirit. He also has a powerful impersonal force that emanates from him that he uses to accomplish his will...his holy spirit. He can give it to whomever he deems needs it, or is worthy of it. As in the case of Moses, he gives it in due measure. Does that sound like its a person. People were filled with holy spirit....that would be odd if the person that is God could fill 120 people all at once as occurred at Pentecost.

When Stephen was being stoned to death, he was said to be "filled with holy spirit", as he gazed into heaven to see God and his son standing at his right hand. Where was the holy spirit? Was it missing because it was busy filling up Stephen? Why is the holy spirit never pictured at God's left hand?

God's spirit is masculine only because of the grammar, not because spirits have gender.

Till next time.....

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Well, it is not really a wild guess. That is what is laid out by John 3:16. God wants to show love for his creation. I am saying this, as I am sure, does not explain the complete reasoning, but it sure does make sense within the context of the Bible that that was a part of it. Why is it also such a contentious reply when it comest to these questions? Sarcasm will not get you to the truth.

But that verse is only about the jesus myth, which in no way supports your wild claim as to why your "god" created everything in the first place.

And if your mythology doesn't CLEARLY answer the question as to why God created everything, then you are following a false "god" and set of beliefs.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yeah me too. Mormonism conflicts with other sects of Christianity, doesn't it?
All sects of Christianity conflict with all other sects of Christianity, Jos. That's why there are over 40,000 different Christian denominations and not just one Christian Church.