• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions to Christians - Practical Application of Turning the Other Cheek

Ehav4Ever

Questions to Christians:

The author of Luke 6:29-30 quotes Jesus as saying:
"If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

Further, the author of Matthew 5:38-42 quotes Jesus as saying:
"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

According to Christianity, what is the practical application of the above statements? Are they meant to be literally practiced exactly as they are written in the NT or are they types of metaphor? If they contain elements of metaphor where do Christians get their information for these particular statements being types of metaphor? Thanks.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The human metaphor, you will never win against the history science, and male/group history reason for it, for it was already active historically and Earth as a body has never been the same nor has life since. You cannot win against his want.....hence to teach him that he is wrong, give him what he claims he should take....then one day he will learn when the less of the son is returned.

Lesson is and always was, males, scientists, the sacrifice of life achieved by the adult human Father scientist, to less the life of his own self, his son, less of the son is what we all quote as a teaching model. Allegorical metaphor to quote, when will he ever learn to take from another is wrong?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No....
Actually these are not metaphors.
Meaning...early Christians were just like that, now the Church has the obligation to apply the Gospel literally. And I guess it does.
The RCC has the obligation to help those in need.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Questions to Christians:

"If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back."

"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

According to Christianity, what is the practical application of the above statements? Are they meant to be literally practiced exactly as they are written in the NT or are they types of metaphor? If they contain elements of metaphor where do Christians get their information for these particular statements being types of metaphor? Thanks.
Not from a Christian pov but from a psychological:
It can work. If your adversary is aware of the wrongness of his deed and he excuses it by assuming you'd do it to him in the same situation, kindness can be disarming.
It just doesn't work on everyone.

Redemptionsong

Questions to Christians:

According to Christianity, what is the practical application of the above statements? Are they meant to be literally practiced exactly as they are written in the NT or are they types of metaphor? If they contain elements of metaphor where do of Christians get their information for these particular statements being types of metaphor? Thanks.
This type of giving appears to run contrary to 'flesh' nature, but it is entirely consistent with the unconditional nature of God's love. Jesus Christ taught that only love can defeat evil.

The problem for those who hear these words, and similar teachings on forgiveness and right attitudes, is that they appear impossible to achieve. Jesus always sets the highest standards, because the highest standards are God's standards. Once men come to realise that they cannot achieve these standards by their own efforts, they are one step closer to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. Why? Because Jesus Christ did achieve these standards. He made the greatest of all sacrifices by laying down his life for his friends.

Without the Spirit of God in your heart, it is not possible to do the things that Jesus Christ did. That is why He came to provide the baptism that can make all things new.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Questions to Christians:

These seem to take the Law to another level. This is what God is like and this is what Christians should desire to attain.
Jesus does speak in hyperbola at times and this and the complete inability to do these things in our own strength and with our own love means that most Christians (probably) water down a lot of what Jesus said.
The Christian life certainly is not following rules and has to be worked out as we go and as we grow in our maturity and hopefully becoming more Christ like.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Questions to Christians:

I think the interpretation has two approaches.

1. Spiritual - The Holiness of God. When taking into context with the rest of the chapter, we find "the cheek" nestled in many beatitudes including "If you look at another person and just lust, you have already committed adultery or fornication because you did it in your heart". That alone will condemn just about everybody on this earth let alone the other statements. This application would simply point us to a "What am I to do?" - Trust the work of the Cross and the redemption that Jesus offers because we all sin.
  2. Practical - Revenge. Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth - if you slap me, should I slap you? If your response is a revenge response, you shouldn't do it. Turn the other cheek (metaphorical). However, that doesn't translate into "stay in an abusive relationship and turn your other cheek" nor does it mean "don't help a helpless person as he is being beaten up". There are times, not out of revenge but in light of justice, you do things to stop a violent act;
For what its worth, that is my view. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Questions to Christians:

Not a Christian, but I generally see a link between those verses and the Beatitudes: someone who has faith in God's promise of justice ultimately being done has no reason to try to mete out justice themselves, and someone who has faith in God's promise of reward in Heaven for suffering through injustice and persecution has no reason to protect their physical body or earthly posessions.

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Questions to Christians:

Dear Ehav4Ever

When successful, the concept of “turning the other cheek” can quite literally be life-transforming - for self, as well as for those encountered.

It has its basis in properly knowing the Self* and trusting the Self of another.

Sometimes it’s in relation to big things. Often it’s in small mundane ways.

I shall tell of the first time I encountered what small miracles “turning the other cheek” may offer.

Far out in the country was this humble, little bakery from the 1700’s, renowned for its malt-based bread. Every winter, people would come from faraway (very far away, sometimes) to queue for a loaf to place on their Christmas table (tradition in that part of the world).

One evening, as I was about to lock up after a rather long day, a flash sports car pulled up right in front of the entrance. The driver, quite arrogantly, rushed to stick his foot in the door just as I was shutting it. I backed up and let him in.

As is sometimes the case with certain people from bigger walks in life, instead of thanking me, the man addressed me in a fashion aimed at making sure I understood his great sense of importance and entitlement (to my shop, my bread, my time, etc). I felt offended.

While I was gathering his shopping, he randomly spoke of a recent trip he’d made to somewhere or other. I cannot anymore say exactly what about the way he did this was so condescending but trust me; it was.

Then I noticed that the man was expecting some sort of response and it became apparent to me that I would have to choose how to react here.

My Self wanted to shut him down and let him know that he did not impress me but, just as I was about to follow my Ego in this manner, I came to think of his Self!

It was pretty obvious that he very much longed to be admired and I guessed that because of his great arrogance, few people had probably expressed anything but disgust over him and his topics of conversation.

At that moment, I found myself putting his shopping to one side, looking him in the eye and asking if he would not mind telling me some more about that recent journey of his to that very exclusive and fascinating place he’d been speaking of. “...because, you see, I don’t get to leave the village very often and you seem to have seen so very much and I would love to hear more about those floors you mentioned and...” I heard myself say.

And what a transformation occurred in this man then! From shock, to confusion, to his whole face lighting up! His wording changed, his manners changes, his attitude too.
If only for a little while (30 min), my guest behaved as a happy, balanced and pleasant human being - in a very cool sports car, I may add.

I too changed. Forever actually. Because since then I have never hesitated to, as often as I get the chance, “turn the other cheek”.

Shortly afterwards, a friend asked me if when doing such things, I did not feel I was faking (acting ignorant, pretending to be curious about what others had to say, etc).
But that is the beauty in “turning the other cheek”: the more you do it, the less you “fake”, because you learn to truly feel the positive change occurring in the other’s Self and in its interaction with yours.**

(*)Know thyself”: the idea of Self is a human construction; a point of reference for the sentinel being. It does not give us a full picture of reality and does not need protecting as Man believes.

(**) Does not apply to when “turning other cheek” is done in more serious circumstances (e.g. in regards to another’s sadism) but that is a more complex topic requiring its own thread, I feel.

Humbly
Hermit

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a Christian, but I generally see a link between those verses and the Beatitudes: someone who has faith in God's promise of justice ultimately being done has no reason to try to mete out justice themselves, and someone who has faith in God's promise of reward in Heaven for suffering through injustice and persecution has no reason to protect their physical body or earthly posessions.

The original Jesus movement would have thought much less in terms of an otherwordly platonic heaven of souls - or even the Olam Haba (World to Come).

If we consider the Gospel of Mark, we can see quite clearly that Jesus anticipated those rewards both in the here-and-now (Messianic Age) and in the Olam Haba:

"Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields, for my sake and for the sake of the for my sake and for the sake of the good news, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this age—houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children, and fields, with persecutions—and in the age to come eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.”

Jesus quite sharply distinguishes "this age" from the "age to come, eternal life" and he promises his disciples "a hundredfold now in this age—houses, brothers and sisters, mothers and children, and fields", albeit with some persecutions.

They believed that Jesus was about to institute the Messianic Age on earth from Jerusalem with a new Temple. Then he died and an atonement model of his 'messiahip' appears to have become the centrepiece of the cult, with Paul's elucidation of a crucifixion philosophy of baptism as a process of "dying" to the old self and "rising" again with Christ to eternal life.

Therefore, I think that this Q saying in the early Jesus tradition would likely not have presupposed the paradigm in your above post. Later Christians may have imputed such an interpretation into it but the internal logic of the 'argument' in the original logion is not suggestive of a "suffer now for reward in eternity" equation. You also get the 'good stuff' in the present Messianic Age.

If we turn to the actual teaching about non-violence in Luke, we find it premised on an altogether different justification, the nature of God which Jesus interprets as offering a model of divine, nondifferentiated love for both good and bad:

"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either...But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful." (Luke 6:27-35)

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" (Matthew 5:44-45).

I once read a midrash concerning Rabbi Yehoshua ben Korcha, in which the sage was asked by a non-Jew: "When do we [Jews and Gentiles] ever rejoice together?"

The Rabbi answered:

'We rejoice together when the rain falls. Why is this? 'The meadows are clothed with flocks; the valleys are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, yea, they sing' " (Psalms 65:14). What is written after this? 'Shout unto God, all the earth.' It is not written ['Shout unto God] Priests, Levites, and Israelites,' but 'Shout . . . all the earth!' (Genesis Rabbah 13:6)

God's 'blessing of rain' is for all: that is, his divine providence in nature as supreme benefactor of His creatures. This eternal loving-kindness expressed through His rich bounty in nature, was viewed as "indifferent" to the merits or choices of the recipients. All the earth, good and bad.

As I understand it, the internal 'logic' is closer to this Rabbinic teaching - and less to the idea of "be a punching bag until the world ends and we get our eternal rewards", 'reward' being both this age and in the next according to Jesus. Just as God is merciful, kind, loving and eternally 'giving' through the bounties of creation to good and bad without distinction, so should disciples be likewise to those who curse and abuse them.

Likewise, in Hebrew the words for “neighbor” (re‘a Leviticus 19.18) and “enemy/evil [one]” (ra‘, as in 1 Sam 30.22) share the same consonants (resh and ayin), distinguishable only in vowels which aren't in the text. Thus, when Jesus in Luke expounds the Parable of the Good Samaritan in response to the question from the Torah-teacher, "Who is my neighbour?", his reply “What do you read there?” is akin to demanding of him: “Can't you see in the Torah the injuctuon to love neighbor (in the narrow sense) and your enemies?

In its original context, the saying has less to do with eschatological expectation in my reading and more about what it means to be "like" God (as Jesus understood the Jewish conception of Deity and man having been created in His image) and indeed Jesus's radically inclusive interpretation of Torah, which extends the mitzvot on 'neighbour-love' and not taking revenge explicitly to all people, including one's enemies.

Last edited:

PearlSeeker

Questions to Christians:

Some useful replies from an other thread:

If this was meant literally Jusus would also turn the other cheek when a man hit him (on the trial). But he didn't. He defended himself.

Jesus answered him, “If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but if what I said is right, why do you strike me?” (John 18:23)

I'm convinced that the "turn the other cheek" teaching has nothing to do with pacifism. It has to do with passive resistance. In Jesus' culture, there were strict social conventions governing acts against another. One could strike another on the cheek with the right hand for an infraction of some sort -- showing discourtesy, etc. The right hand was the hand of "honor." The back of the hand was used. Therefore, the hand of honor would "discipline" the right cheek of the offender. If, however, the "offender" presented the "other cheek" (turned his face, that is), it would force the discipliner to strike with the left hand (the hand of shame). Since no honorable man would strike another with the left hand (bad social form), he would be forced to not strike, or else become as "guilty" as the offender.