• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions to Atheists

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
-What is the purpose of Life ? Why do we Exist?Why is there something rather than nothing? and Where did it all come from?

I have no idea.

How is it that the whole universe is finely tuned and perfectly shaped with its galaxies ,planets and all that is it a mere coincidence or a work of somebody or Something?

Because it's a self organizing system. Think of the beach. The waves crash into the shore and slowly erode the rock until it becomes sand. The rocks that aren't as eroded are larger and further out into the water, and larger still further out. If the water weren't there, it would look like something arranged them in such a way, but it was just the motion of the water back and forth over eons.

-Do you believe there is Evil & Good ?and how do you distinguish them ?

Not in such simple terms, no.

-What is the Value of the human existence ?Does life have a point ? Do you believe Humans have souls ?

I value human life over everything, but I do so as a member of the species. I don't know if souls exist, but I'd like to think so.

-How do you define Truth ?

Conformity with fact or reality.

-Do you believe in Miracles ?

No.

-Do you believe in the Messengers of God ?Do you think they existed ? e.g Adam ,Noah , Abraham ,Moses ,Jesus ,Mohamed (pbut)

I think some of them are literary figures based off of an amalgamation of historical leaders, but I don't think the majority of them (especially within the five books of moses) existed as real people. I think it's likely that Jesus existed, and it's pretty much accepted that Mohamed existed. I definitely don't think that they were messengers of God though.

-What is your perspective about DEATH since its inevitable?Do you believe in life after Death (Resurrection)?

No, not in the sense that you probably envision. I think death is the end of my physical body, and if some essence of me exists beyond that, I don't see why it would have to be supernatural.

In your point of view how do you think this world will be like If there were no Religions?

The same for the most part. Something would fill the void.

Thank you rgrds.

You're very welcome! :D

MSizer

MSizer
OK African, it's your tun wouldn't you say? A number of atheists have answered your questions, and you can pretty much pick any one of them and it's essetially the same message you'd read in almost each of the others. So, now do you plan to how "How can you not see the evidence for perfection?" or something to that effect? Why have you asked us these questions? Did our answers cause you to think about anything in a way that previously handn't (objectively that is)?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
OK African, it's your tun wouldn't you say? A number of atheists have answered your questions, and you can pretty much pick any one of them and it's essetially the same message you'd read in almost each of the others. So, now do you plan to how "How can you not see the evidence for perfection?" or something to that effect? Why have you asked us these questions? Did our answers cause you to think about anything in a way that previously handn't (objectively that is)?
I took it as simply a survey thread. It's pretty hard to debate opinion.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I took it as simply a survey thread. It's pretty hard to debate opinion.

Have you ever heard of "push polls"? ;)

We are all familiar with these questions as part of the usual polemics of this forum. They are questions that true believers think that atheists cannot answer satisfactorily. Frankly, I like to see people like AFRICAN defend their own answers to their own questions. A big problem with such questions is that they often cut both ways in the debate over beliefs.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Except that atheism isn't, technically, a belief.

I tend to disagree with my fellow atheists on this point. Atheism is not just lack of belief in gods. It is the opinion or conviction that gods do not exist. It may not be a strong conviction for some, but it is a conviction. Given that most members of the human race believe in the existence of gods and spirit beings of other sorts, there is considerable social pressure on skeptics to accept belief in such beings. Most atheists, in fact, were raised to have faith in a god. So becoming an atheist usually entails a consideration of the possibility that gods exist and the rejection of belief that they do. Newborn babies lack belief in gods, but they are not what we normally think of as atheists. Atheists are those who have embraced the belief that gods do not exist. Skepticism counts as a belief, however negatively we might define it. The negation is not of belief, but of the object of belief.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
-What is the purpose of Life ? Why do we Exist?Why is there something rather than nothing? and Where did it all come from?
How is it that the whole universe is finely tuned and perfectly shaped with its galaxies ,planets and all that is it a mere coincidence or a work of somebody or Something?
All you need to find out is a towel, a massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.

-Do you believe there is Evil & Good ?and how do you distinguish them ?
I more draw the definitions as sanity and insanity, or stability and psychosis. but many times evil and good are legitimate definitions in the face of cynical cruelty and good against all odds.

-What is the Value of the human existence ?Does life have a point ?
Do you believe Humans have souls ?
To prosper, to explore, I think that is more than enough. as for souls, usually I find that as a metaphor for the subtle inner world of the human character.

-How do you define Truth ?
I rarely do. I guess an arbitrary definition would be, a collection of facts and coherent knowledge which creates an understanding by the observer of the observed.

-Do you believe in Miracles ?
No. I believe in statistics.

-Do you believe in the Messengers of God ?Do you think they existed ?
e.g Adam ,Noah , Abraham ,Moses ,Jesus ,Mohamed (pbut)
Lets start from the beginning. which is that I dont believe there is such a thing as a messenger of God, every man speaks for himself, every man speaks his agenda and his own subjective beliefs. true, some people also have a political or social statement.
when we deal with some of the names of these messengers, its obvious that some are mythology of philosophical importance in their own context, and others might be a vague representation of the collective memory of the ancient Jewish people, as for messengers like Muhammad, I guess somewhat of a reformer in ancient Arabia is an adequate definition, but considering its infinitely controversial to critically analyze the historicity of Muhammad in the Islamic world, we need to work with what we have, consider that the last Arab professor to question the historicity of Muhammad was thrown of the second floor of his university to his death.

-What is your perspective about DEATH since its inevitable?Do you believe in life after Death (Resurrection)?
I believe someone else has already wisely said, that coming to terms with our mortality is the beginning of maturity and wisdom. no there is no resurrection.

In your point of view how do you think this world will be like If there were no Religions?
This question is too hypothetical and grand. I assume, that masses of people would still find things to idolize just as teen age girls do with shallow pop stars and actors, to me that's not entirely different than seeing people use some of the epithets they do for God, such as 'perfect', 'almighty' etc.
On the other hand, I'm also optimistic, that people can find comfort in religion and even better themselves. despite everything, I still believe that religion can give a frame to people to practice their intellectuality, emotional baggage, social dilemmas and other high faculties. its just that I believe that many people today do that outside the frame of religion and spirituality.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Have you ever heard of "push polls"? ;)

We are all familiar with these questions as part of the usual polemics of this forum. They are questions that true believers think that atheists cannot answer satisfactorily. Frankly, I like to see people like AFRICAN defend their own answers to their own questions. A big problem with such questions is that they often cut both ways in the debate over beliefs.
The problem with that is the assumption that these question are not asked in ernest. It's one thing to be the Little Boy Who Cries Wolf; it's another to assume that every boy who cries is that boy.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
I tend to disagree with my fellow atheists on this point. Atheism is not just lack of belief in gods. It is the opinion or conviction that gods do not exist. It may not be a strong conviction for some, but it is a conviction. Given that most members of the human race believe in the existence of gods and spirit beings of other sorts, there is considerable social pressure on skeptics to accept belief in such beings. Most atheists, in fact, were raised to have faith in a god. So becoming an atheist usually entails a consideration of the possibility that gods exist and the rejection of belief that they do. Newborn babies lack belief in gods, but they are not what we normally think of as atheists. Atheists are those who have embraced the belief that gods do not exist. Skepticism counts as a belief, however negatively we might define it. The negation is not of belief, but of the object of belief.
I would almost agree with you except that, as an atheist, I do not rule out the possibility of "god" and am certainly open to any deity revealing itself to humanity in ways that humanity can understand, measure and agree upon should it wish to do so but until such time I just take it as obvious that they don't.

AFRICAN

Peace & Blessing be upon you all ,
My intention of asking the questions is measuring your comprehension scope ..
I thank all of you for your replies i appreciate
taking the time to do so but to be honest i am disappointed from your answers
you seem to be living life with a simple mind ,as i understand from most of your
answers life has no point and anyone can commit suicide it saddens me to see
those unaware of the reality of life they are living in lacking the Morals and
Value ,you can choose to believe in nothing,but to believe in nothing would mean
that your existence is as intrinsically meaningless and pointless as the ground
beneath your feet,but i don't blame you cause the reality you are meant to perceive
is already been set up for you since childhood and the same goes to your fathers
what i mean is the amount of knowledge you gained through time has been
limited for you to a certain extent everything that has been taught in your
schools ,written in books,internet ,the MEDIA every possible way of obtaining
knowledge is Limited ,manipulated and distorted for you ,Who did that and why
its up to you to search and find whether its a conspiracy or not you will know!,
seek the true essence of knowledge then you can open your third eye which is your
inner knowledge unfortunately few do so .
"Knowledge that has no benefit has no value, If you do not make use of valuable
knowledge you attained then it is of no benefit to seek knowledge"

As a believer i have the answers to all the questions i asked and more regarding
life ,i gather them from The holy book which i believe is the words of the creator i.e The Quran
Life is a gift and this world we are living in is merely a bridge to the next one
and like Jesus (pbuh)Said "The world is a bridge, so pass over it and do not
inhabit it."
Some of you rely on science and scientists alone which is wrong that's why you
are blessed with reasoning and logic so you can analyze what you perceive ,and
even scientists the more they search the more they are astonished by the
Greatness of the Creator .
I am sorry if i seemed like am preaching or proselytizing its not my intention to
so .
I do care for you cause your my brothers and sisters So My advice to you is do not take any information or knowledge as absolute truth
analyze and question everything USE your reason and logic ,do not follow
anyone or anything blindly and don't judge things from their appearance delve
deeper to understand there is a lot to learn this forum is a great tool to know
more about other people's notion about life and existence .Seeking knowledge is a
type of worship so seek knowledge one day you will comprehend & See the truth
hidden between the lines ...

Thank you ..Take care
Your brother African

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You know, its amazing. after all the members who took the time and answered the OP. you go and defecate on it all.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I decided not to answer your questions until you threw your shoes at the people you asked to comment in post #31. Try to understand that many of us are not the slightest impressed with the thinking you have espoused and remain convinced that you haven't the foggiest idea about what you are professing to know. In that spirit, here are my answers.

What is the purpose of Life ?
I chose to come here to gain experience and deal with some personal matters.

Why do we Exist?
My physical existence is designed to teach me how I form my personal reality through my thoughts and beliefs which are projected through the swirling soup of my emotions. Though not always pleasant, such endeavors are always greatly invigorating and add new dimensions to my psyche.

Why is there something rather than nothing?
Why is the question important? To my thinking, the question itself is a bit silly. I feel silly even giving the question this much of an answer.

Where did it all come from?
Energy is neither created nor destroyed. In those terms, everything has always existed, though the forms change with each nanosecond.

How is it that the whole universe is finely tuned and perfectly shaped with its galaxies ,planets and all that
Is it finely tuned? Is it perfectly shaped? What do you base the question on? Compared to what, exactly? It is what it is.

is it a mere coincidence or a work of somebody or Something?
If it is all the work of something or somebody then I am considerably less impressed. If it is all from random chance relating to Chaos Theory, then life as we know it is even more miraculous than if some god created the whole ball of wax. Given that god by all accounts can do anything, I shouldn't be greatly impressed that he managed creation. That said though, I would have expected a slightly better job. Perhaps my standards are higher than others though.

Do you believe there is Evil & Good ?and how do you distinguish them?
No I do not look at the world in terms of such limited value judgments. I tend to reject "Good" and "evil" per se, but in those terms, I see everything as gradations of good. Plus, in those terms, when I have had "bad" things happen to me in life I have usually, if not always, emerged a better person. So the seemingly "bad" events have a very good outcome.

What is the Value of the human existence?
Physical existence allows otherwise unlimited beings to experience reality from a very limited standpoint. The reason for such endeavor is so that the individual will understand what is involved in getting their ideas into concrete terms. In reality, we are learning to manipulate reality, in very real terms.

Does life have a point?
My life has a point, I can't speak for others. ;)

Do you believe Humans have souls?
NO, human animals do not HAVE souls. Human animals ARE SOULS wearing physical clothing of their own creation.

How do you define Truth?
Truth is relative to the understanding that is at hand. Truth, is therefore open to change - just like everything else in existence.

Do you believe in Miracles?
No, certainly not in the sense that religious folks think of Miracles. For the most part, such folks aren't exactly the sharpest tacks in the box, imo.

Do you believe in the Messengers of God?
Only partially, and I have a very short list. In reality, they are not really messengers, but rather manifestations of a greater identity serving to remind us of our inner reality.

Do you think they existed ?
e.g Adam ,Noah , Abraham ,Moses ,Jesus ,Mohamed (pbut)
Out of your list I reject all the names except Jesus Christ. My "short list" currently has three names on it. They are Jesus Christ, Buddha and Krsna. There has been no other historical figure that even comes close to their reality and achievement. I simply do not accept any other people listed in the Abrahamic pantheon as being worthy of mention.

What is your perspective about DEATH since its inevitable?Do you believe in life after Death (Resurrection)?
I do not believe in death as it is commonly conceived. Of course, at some point we drop our physical body. That much is a tad obvious, but what is not quite so obvious is that which created the body is no longer held back by the limitations of the flesh and it simply returns to its regular activities, flush with the knowledge found in its latest physical sojourn.

A lot happier. Once we are able to cast off the delusions of others then we can finally get working on our own delusions. Hopefully, it would not take too long before sanity prevails.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Okay, so I just as I assumed, there was no point in asking atheists any of these questions, as you are either missing the capacity and/or the sincere interest to understand the answers.

If you want to preach at people, then just do so - don't waste their time by asking them to answer a bunch of questions you're not even going to attempt to understand. It's extremely rude and arrogant. I doubt you have any concern about being either rude or arrogant, but at least think about it.

~Amin~

God is the King
I chose to come here to gain experience and deal with some personal matters.

My physical existence is designed to teach me how I form my personal reality through my thoughts and beliefs which are projected through the swirling soup of my emotions. Though not always pleasant, such endeavors are always greatly invigorating and add new dimensions to my psyche.

Why is the question important? To my thinking, the question itself is a bit silly. I feel silly even giving the question this much of an answer.

Energy is neither created nor destroyed. In those terms, everything has always existed, though the forms change with each nanosecond.

Is it finely tuned? Is it perfectly shaped? What do you base the question on? Compared to what, exactly? It is what it is.

If it is all the work of something or somebody then I am considerably less impressed. It is is all from random chance relating to Chaos Theory, then life as we know it is even more miraculous than if some god created the whole ball of wax. Given that god by all accounts can do anything, I shouldn't be greatly impressed that he managed creation. That said though, I would have expected a slightly better job. Perhaps my standards are higher than others though.

No I do not look at the world in terms of such limited value judgments. I tend to reject "Good" and "evil" per se, but in those terms, I see everything as gradations of good. Plus, in those terms, when I have had "bad" things happen to me in life I have usually, if not always, emerged a better person. So the seemingly "bad" events have a very good outcome.

It allow otherwise unlimited beings to experience reality from a very limited standpoint. The reason for such endeavor is so that the individual will understand what is involved in getting their ideas into concrete terms. In reality, we are learning to manipulate reality, in very real terms.

My life has a point, I can't speak for others. ;)

NO, human animals do not HAVE souls. Human animals ARE SOULS wearing physical clothing of their own creation.

Truth is relative to the understanding that is at hand. Truth, is therefore open to change - just like everything else in existence.

No, certainly not in the sense that religious folks think of Miracles. For the most part, such folks aren't exactly the sharpest tacks in the box, imo.

Only partially, and I have a very short list. In reality, they are not really messengers, but rather manifestations of a greater identity serving to remind us of our inner reality.

Out of your list I reject all the names except Jesus Christ. My "short list" currently has three names on it. They are Jesus Christ, Buddha and Krsna. There has been no other historical figure that even comes close to their reality and achievement. I simply do not accept any other people listed in the Abrahamic pantheon of being worthy of mention.

I do not believe in death as it is commonly conceived. Of course, at some point we drop our physical body. That much is a tad obvious, but what is not quite so obvious is that which created the body is no longer held back by the limitations of the flesh and it simply returns to its regular activities, flush with the knowledge found in its latest physical sojourn.

A lot happier. Once we are able to cast off the delusions of others then we can finally get working on our own delusions. Hopefully, it would not take too long before sanity prevails.
And how did you come up with this? How do you Know your responses are accurate?
And through which judgment do you deem some questions are silly? I personally don't
think any question is silly if your sincere so why don't you answer for us?

Kerr

Peace & Blessing be upon you all ,
My intention of asking the questions is measuring your comprehension scope ..
I thank all of you for your replies i appreciate
taking the time to do so but to be honest i am disappointed from your answers
you seem to be living life with a simple mind ,as i understand from most of your
answers life has no point and anyone can commit suicide it saddens me to see
those unaware of the reality of life they are living in lacking the Morals and
Value ,you can choose to believe in nothing,but to believe in nothing would mean
that your existence is as intrinsically meaningless and pointless as the ground
beneath your feet,but i don't blame you cause the reality you are meant to perceive
is already been set up for you since childhood and the same goes to your fathers
what i mean is the amount of knowledge you gained through time has been
limited for you to a certain extent everything that has been taught in your
schools ,written in books,internet ,the MEDIA every possible way of obtaining
knowledge is Limited ,manipulated and distorted for you ,Who did that and why
its up to you to search and find whether its a conspiracy or not you will know!,
seek the true essence of knowledge then you can open your third eye which is your
inner knowledge unfortunately few do so .
"Knowledge that has no benefit has no value, If you do not make use of valuable
knowledge you attained then it is of no benefit to seek knowledge"

As a believer i have the answers to all the questions i asked and more regarding
life ,i gather them from The holy book which i believe is the words of the creator i.e The Quran
Life is a gift and this world we are living in is merely a bridge to the next one
and like Jesus (pbuh)Said "The world is a bridge, so pass over it and do not
inhabit it."
Some of you rely on science and scientists alone which is wrong that's why you
are blessed with reasoning and logic so you can analyze what you perceive ,and
even scientists the more they search the more they are astonished by the
Greatness of the Creator .
I am sorry if i seemed like am preaching or proselytizing its not my intention to
so .
I do care for you cause your my brothers and sisters So My advice to you is do not take any information or knowledge as absolute truth
analyze and question everything USE your reason and logic ,do not follow
anyone or anything blindly and don't judge things from their appearance delve
deeper to understand there is a lot to learn this forum is a great tool to know
more about other people's notion about life and existence .Seeking knowledge is a
type of worship so seek knowledge one day you will comprehend & See the truth
hidden between the lines ...

Thank you ..Take care
Your brother African
You should actually read again, since you have misunderstood what they wrote. And while you do, don´t read it with your eyes, it means your own values may influence your interpretation... which is not what you should do when you try to understand others.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
AFRICAN:

For the most part your post is not worth even responding to. In future I will try to remember not to bother.

I don't know whether English is your native language, but I recommend that if you're trying to communicate in it in writing that you learn punctuation, especially the period.
It looks like this:.