• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions regarding Kemetic Orthodoxy

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Right. Questions. Ok. I want to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy, since I know so little about it as I don't believe I've really spoken to people who adhere to it until recently. So, I'll go ahead and ask a few questions, like:

What is the general view of the gods within Kemetic Orthodoxy? Do you regard them as separate existing entities, manifestations of only one supreme entity--with or without their own consciousness, or do you regard them as Jungian archetypes? Do they have form bodies or formless ones?

How does Kemetic Orthodoxy defer from Kemetic Wicca and in particular, Kemetic revivalist polytheism?

What do you believe regarding the afterlife? Do you believe in the story of Ma'at and the weighing of hearts etc?

Do you use magic?

Why did the gods of Egypt let their lands be taken over by Christians and then Muslims successively?

Thanks!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Ok, first I'll start with the gods. Kemetic Orthodoxy views the gods as being both one and many at the same time. A worldview called Monoaltry. We believe that the gods are both seperate entities, and names of a single whole called Netjer. Kemetic Orthodoxy differs from Kemetic Wicca and other Kemetic groups in general, firstly because we try to practice Kemeticism as it was practiced in ancient times, with as little deviation as possible. Secondly, because we have a Nisut (Pharoah) chosen by the kingly ka to lead the people of Kemet, Rev. Tamara L. Siuda. Thirdly, we have a ritual called the Rite of Parental Dinvination, to determine which name of Netjer is your spiritual parent. Every person has a god who is their spiritual parent, and we can see that the ancient Egyptians believed this in archeology, because the Egyptians always had names that meant something special. Amenhotep means the peace of Amun. Akhenaten means, the one Aten has given life, or, whom Aten has permitted to live, etc. We do not hold that the gods have literal physical bodies, but can manifest to people either through material objects, or by appearing to them in various forms. The way the gods are dipicted in the heiroglyphs are symbolic, and very often they do appear to people using those forms, just because that's what we'd expect. Regarding the story of the afterlife, it's a myth, and Kemetic Orthodoxy does not believe it's myth is scripture or inspired of god like Abrahamic scriptures. Some in the religion believe the weighing of the heart and such, others believe in reincarnation, others believe in a combination of the two. There isn't a clearcut dogma on an afterlife in modern Kemetic Orthodoxy. Yes, we use magic, the technical term in the Kemetic language is heka. Heka means to speak with authority. As for, why the gods allowed Christians and Muslims to takeover Egypt. We can't know that for certain. We do believe, however, that everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know the reason yet. It may be that the gods will bring Egypt back to it's ancient roots yet, or it may be that the gods themselves planned to remove the religion from the land, so that it may one day become a worldwide religion, and all people may come to know Netjer if they wish. We say that ancient Kemet was a nation comprised of the Kemetic people, but modern Kemet is a nation comprised of people from all over the world. The ancient oracles of Egypt told there would be a dark time when the ways of the ancients was lost, but that they would return. I believe this to be happening with not only Kemetic Orthodoxy, but the revival of other cultural pagan belief systems as well. The oracles also told that the gods would choose someone to bring the worship of the gods of Egypt back to the world. Who is this, if not Rev. Tamara Siuda, the current Nisut-bity, and possessor of the kingly ka? Yes, I'd be glad to answer how I can practice Kemeticism and Buddhism together. That's why I wanted the thread in general religious debates. :) Feel free to ask any more questions

Devotee

Vaisnava
YES! I have more questions.

What is the Kemetic Orthodoxy view of Sin

What are their views on sexuality

And how does one find their personal Neter or spiritual parent

Rainbow Mage

Well, Kemetic Orthodox don't really believe in sin, and neither did the ancient Egyptians. The Kemetic belief system is based around a view very similar to the Wiccan rede- "and it harm none, do as you will." Ka-feeding, indulging yourself, is a very important part of Kemetic practice. However, we also have what is called Ma'at. Ma'at is like the eastern view of dharma or Tao, the natural way of things. If you go against that, it's not seen as sin, but you're deviating from the natural order.

About homosexuality- Kemetic Orthodoxy has many homosexual members, including myself. You will find the ancient Egyptians were mostly silent on homosexuality. There were debates among the ancients about rather or not a man taking the bottom position was shameful, but it never was criminalized or made illegal.

About finding your parent god- This is a practice from ancient Egypt that only Kemetic Orthodox have revived into modern practice. Other Kemetic sects don't do this. When you are divined to discover your parent, you're also given a Kemetic name, much like the ancient people had. Like- Amenhotep (let Amun arise), Ptah-hotep (let Ptah arise), Akhenaten (the one whom Aten gives life), etc.

xkatz

How closely related is Kemetic Orthodox related to ancient Egyptian religion? Do you make pilgrimages to Egypt? Do you bury your dead the same way that they did in ancient Egypt? What does "Kemet" mean?

Rainbow Mage

Well Kemetic Orthodoxy is a reconstruct religion. We do keep many practices we've revived from the ancients, but at the same time, we also affirm to be a living religion that evolves and grows. In the last 20 or so years since our Nisut founded the house, the faith has taken on elements of other faiths as a consequence of so many converts from Christianity and Neo-Paganism. We don't mind this though, like I said, we affirm to be a growing religion. We see it as further enriching the Kemetic faith.

Yes we sometimes make pilgrimages to Egypt, and I'm saving up to go myself. We go to the pyramids, the temples, the valley of the kings and queens. We also visit mosques and coptic cathedrals as goodwill and interfaith toward others.

We do not mumify people currently like the ancients did. For one, there are laws and regulations on it in the US, and we don't have anyone with the proper avenues at the present time. That may possibly be available in the future. They are trying to train our Priests to perform the sacrifices again currently and get the proper licenses the US requires for that.

Kemet means black land, literally, because the soil of Egypt is black in color.

starseedx

The controlled status of this substance aside..I've found a lot of pages associating the use of cannabis in prayer with Bast and ancient Kemeticism. I have a friend who's a Kemetic and she didn't use it, as a matter of fact I recall her being anti-drug altogether. With all that being said can you confirm, or debunk and explain, this assocation?

cosmicly curious,
starseed

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Well the ancients may have indeed used drugs in some of their rituals, it doesn't mean that everyone did, and I can tell you a good argument can be made that using mind altering substances is against the way of Ma'at. That doesn't stop some from doing it anyway, however, neither in the ancient world or today, as I'm sure some Kemetics today use it. Rather they used drugs in rituals or not, Kemetics should not today, because it's against the laws of the land, and Kemetic ethics dictate one should follow laws.

Rainbow Mage

The ancients had very strict prohibitions on alcohol even. Alcohol was permissable, because it is something one uses in an offering, but the ancients never got drunk except on festival and high holy days. If any ancient Egyptians were using mind altering drugs: cannibis, blue lotus, etc., they were using it against the precepts. Remember, Ma'at doesn't say you can't do something, it says- do as you will, but be ready for the consequences. It's like the Tao, it's the natural order of things, and deviation from it causes suffering.

TeenageKemetic

I am thinking about joining the KO when I'm living on my own (I'm 16 right now) how would you suggest I start when I do? I'm not really sure how to jump into it

Sparkle2211

I am thinking about joining the KO when I'm living on my own (I'm 16 right now) how would you suggest I start when I do? I'm not really sure how to jump into it

You may, its a wonderful place. I am 15. You could just go to the House of Netjer forums and register yourself their. I think the elders could guide you more specifically.