• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions on the Druid path

Bear Wild

I realized recently than I never even considered Druidism as a path and never considered why. I suspect it was on the basis of what little was known but during some recent posts I would like to learn more. I have always learned on my own but am now interested in considering a different option.

Can anyone give some recommendations on the differences of experiences with some of the Druid societies.

I have found these four Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (OBOD), Reformed druids of North America (RDNA), Ar nDraiocht Fein (ADF) and Reformed Druids of Gaia (RDG) but am not familiar with them. Any insight or experience would be appreciated.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I realized recently than I never even considered Druidism as a path and never considered why. I suspect it was on the basis of what little was known but during some recent posts I would like to learn more. I have always learned on my own but am now interested in considering a different option.

Can anyone give some recommendations on the differences of experiences with some of the Druid societies.

I have found these four Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (OBOD), Reformed druids of North America (RDNA), Ar nDraiocht Fein (ADF) and Reformed Druids of Gaia (RDG) but am not familiar with them. Any insight or experience would be appreciated.

I can speak a bit on my experiences with two different organizations, one of which is not listed here. I briefly followed the path set out in the Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer and his organization the Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA). And I currently am working on the dedicant path for Ar nDraíocht Féin (ADF).

Ancient Order of Druids in America – Traditional Nature Spirituality for Today

AODA is not specifically pagan, and is oriented towards integration with a person's current spiritual path or none at all (ie Christians could join AODA, but it's probably mostly Pagans). The ritual design is very Wiccan in its roots with the calling of Quarters, and a heavy emphasis on the Elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water).

ADF is specifically Pagan, and Polytheistic in it's approach, and is also dedicated to a scholarly approach to its study, and draws on many mythologies across the whole Proto-Indo-European umbrella. Their ritual framework does not call quarters or cast a circle, as AODA does, but instead enlists a Gatekeeper (guardian deity for the ritual).

Both have a heavy emphasis on Nature.

Edit: I can give more details if you have other questions.

Last edited:

Bear Wild

I can speak a bit on my experiences with two different organizations, one of which is not listed here. I briefly followed the path set out in the Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer and his organization the Ancient Order of Druids in America (AODA). And I currently am working on the dedicant path for Ar nDraíocht Féin (ADF).

Ancient Order of Druids in America – Traditional Nature Spirituality for Today

AODA is not specifically pagan, and is oriented towards integration with a person's current spiritual path or none at all (ie Christians could join AODA, but it's probably mostly Pagans). The ritual design is very Wiccan in its roots with the calling of Quarters, and a heavy emphasis on the Elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water).

ADF is specifically Pagan, and Polytheistic in it's approach, and is also dedicated to a scholarly approach to its study, and draws on many mythologies across the whole Proto-Indo-European umbrella. Their ritual framework does not call quarters or cast a circle, as AODA does, but instead enlists a Gatekeeper (guardian deity for the ritual).

Both have a heavy emphasis on Nature.

Edit: I can give more details if you have other questions.

First the book you recommended Being a Pagan was very good. Ironically in the preface describing the authors experience at the solstice was very familiar and the influence of Native American practice finally connecting to Celtic and Germanic spirituality.

I appreciate the input and the distinctions. It seems the ADF is more consistent with what I am familiar with in I must admit it would be nice to have more interaction with others of a similar view.
I have been reading John Greer's handbook which is interesting but has some unusual elements for me including Iolo Morganwg. I would love to here your thoughts on Iolo. I read the Barddas years ago but read it again because of Greer's book. His book reminds me some of what of what I learned growing up with a heavy Quaker influence. The book seems so influenced by the Christianity of his time. I mean it is a very interesting work but I find it difficult to see in on the pagan view that seems natural to me.

How has your experience with the ADF been so far? And thanks for your response.