• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ronki23

Firstly, if this is in the wrong forum please move it to an appropriate one.

I have been reading Amar Chitra Katha's Mahabharat and Geeta. I have some questions:

Mahabharat

1) Why did Kunti not accept Karna as her son ?
2) Why did Karna choose the Kauravs?
3) Why did Vichitraveerya die of tuberculosis ? Surely he could've lived a long life
4) Why did Dhritarashtra not control his sons if he was King ? Surely he would have control over the military?
5) Why did Arjun marry Krishna's sister if they were cousins ?
6) Why did Bheeshma bless the Pandavs even though he killed many of their soldiers ?
7) Why did Krishna intervene in battle if he was a mere spectator ? He told Arjun when to kill Bhishma and Karna
8) Why did Krishna go mad and kill a bunch of people later in life ?

From what I can read in the Geeta is that people are bound by their dharma (duty) and that what happens in this life is rewarded/punished in the next life; hence Krishna saying it's ok to kill the Pandavs because only the body dies. However, the Indian National Congress Party has been trying to give preference and opportunities to lower castes and minorities whereas the Bharatiya Janata Party abides by the caste system ?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot answer all your questions, but I can a few. So...

1) When Kunti was still relatively young, she was given a mantra in which she could use to summon any God she wanted to father her children. Though she was still unwed and living in her father's home, she was curious, and summoned Surya. She was hesitant, but Surya assured her any child fathered by a Deva would be born within a day.

And it was true, Kunti became pregant, and shortly after, gave birth to Karna. And here she was, an unwed mother with this precious infant, and she panicked. She did not know what to do. She could not bring herself to shame her father like this, so she sent the little baby down the river to his destiny.... And never forgot it.

2) Karna does not know his biological heritage. Though he was raised by a charioteer, he had a gut feeling that this was not his true purpose. Not realizing the Pandavas were his brothers, he showed up at a tournament meant to showcase their(and others of Drona's pupils) skills. After showing his skills to be at least as good, of not better than, Arjuna's, a duel is requested. Karna is asked to present his lineage, to prove he is worthy of fighting Arjuna. When it is realized Karna is not of a royal line, Duryodhana claims Karna as one of his own and crowns him King of Agna, making him worthy of fighting Arjuna. Karna is so moved by this, he, for the remainder of his days is loyal to Duryodhana, even after he learns the truth of his heritage.

4)Dhritarashta may have been king, but he was filled with fear and weakness. He knew the difference between right and wrong, but was swayed by the jealousy, greed and anger of his eldest son more often than not. He may have ruled by law, but Duryodhana called the shots. Dhritarashta was too weak willed to discipline or guide his son. He couldn't bear to say no to him.

6)Bheesma fought on the side of the Kauravs, and it is said that Duryodhana was his favored, but Bheesma was no fool, and he knew this war was unjust. Still, his dharma bound him, and he did what he must. He always knew what the outcome would be. He knew the Pandavas fought on the side of dharma, and blessed them accordingly.

It's been a year or two since I've read the Amar Chitra Katha Mahabharata. I enjoyed it very much. Most recently I read Ramesh Menon's; I loved it.

I look forward to hearing other's answers as well...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh dear... you're reading a religious text dispassionately and critically?
This won't end well......

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. The others (Yudhishthira, Arjuna, Bheem) were born in the knowledge of Pandu, Karna before that.
3. Well, how quickly the disease worsens depends on the person's constitution. Vichitravirya survived only that many years.
5. Yeah, Arjuna marriage to Subhadra was wrong even according to the current Hindu law. They were first cousins.
7. Krishna was permitted by the agreement to advise Pandavas. Of course, it is recorded that Bheeshma made him break the rules of agreement. Krishna broke the rules of fairness in war many times (Ashwatthama, Jayadratha).
(Pandavas may not have won had they fought Mahabharata war fairly. That is a lesson for India vis-a-vis Pakistan and China. As they say 'All things are fair in love and war')
8. It was not Krishna, but his eldest son, Samba, who started the fight after getting drunk. That was according to a curse of a sage.
:D

Last edited:

ronki23

1) When Kunti was still relatively young, she was given a mantra in which she could use to summon any God she wanted to father her children. Though she was still unwed and living in her father's home, she was curious, and summoned Surya. She was hesitant, but Surya assured her any child fathered by a Deva would be born within a day.

And it was true, Kunti became pregant, and shortly after, gave birth to Karna. And here she was, an unwed mother with this precious infant, and she panicked. She did not know what to do. She could not bring herself to shame her father like this, so she sent the little baby down the river to his destiny.... And never forgot it.

2) Karna does not know his biological heritage. Though he was raised by a charioteer, he had a gut feeling that this was not his true purpose. Not realizing the Pandavas were his brothers, he showed up at a tournament meant to showcase their(and others of Drona's pupils) skills. After showing his skills to be at least as good, of not better than, Arjuna's, a duel is requested. Karna is asked to present his lineage, to prove he is worthy of fighting Arjuna. When it is realized Karna is not of a royal line, Duryodhana claims Karna as one of his own and crowns him King of Agna, making him worthy of fighting Arjuna. Karna is so moved by this, he, for the remainder of his days is loyal to Duryodhana, even after he learns the truth of his heritage.

4)Dhritarashta may have been king, but he was filled with fear and weakness. He knew the difference between right and wrong, but was swayed by the jealousy, greed and anger of his eldest son more often than not. He may have ruled by law, but Duryodhana called the shots. Dhritarashta was too weak willed to discipline or guide his son. He couldn't bear to say no to him.

6)Bheesma fought on the side of the Kauravs, and it is said that Duryodhana was his favored, but Bheesma was no fool, and he knew this war was unjust. Still, his dharma bound him, and he did what he must. He always knew what the outcome would be. He knew the Pandavas fought on the side of dharma, and blessed them accordingly.

It's been a year or two since I've read the Amar Chitra Katha Mahabharata. I enjoyed it very much. Most recently I read Ramesh Menon's; I loved it.

Oh dear... you're reading a religious text dispassionately and critically?
This won't end well......

1. The others (Yudhishthira, Arjuna, Bheem) were born in the knowledge of Pandu, Karna before that.
3. Well, how quickly the disease worsens depends on the person's constitution. Vichitravirya survived only that many years.
5. Yeah, Arjuna marriage to Subhadra was wrong even according to the current Hindu law. They were first cousins.
7. Krishna was permitted by the agreement to advise Pandavas. Of course, it is recorded that Bheeshma made him break the rules of agreement. Krishna broke the rules of fairness in war many times (Ashwatthama, Jayadratha).
(Pandavas may not have won had they fought Mahabharata war fairly. That is a lesson for India vis-a-vis Pakistan and China. As they say 'All things are fair in love and war')
8. It was not Krishna, but his eldest son, Samba, who started the fight after getting drunk. That was according to a curse of a sage.

The Indian National Congress is trying to give opportunities and equalities to all castes and minorities but has failed to do so yet the Bharatiya Janata Party adheres to it and are seen as a much better party. My question is why the caste system still exists- surely Britain would have abolished it ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Congress supported it for 55 years. Now, you want BJP to perform a political harakari by removing caste reservations. The case for division of castes who have not benefited by the policy in 55 years is presently in the Supreme Court. Let the Court decide, then BJP will take further action.

ronki23

The Congress supported it for 55 years. Now, you want BJP to perform a political harakari by removing caste reservations. The case for division of castes who have not benefited by the policy in 55 years is presently in the Supreme Court. Let the Court decide, then BJP will take further action.

I thought Congress was quite left wing and wanted caste equality ? Instead they're disproportionately helping lower castes aren't they ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No, they never did that. Congress was always one family party, it is so even now. It was never left-wing. It fed its sycophants. The current reservations have helped only the upper economic levels of castes. Some castes have been disproportionately advantaged. Two such examples are Meenas in and around Rajasthan, and people of Nagaland. The poor have remained poor. That is why th Supreme Court is considering subdivision of lower castes, so that the benefits reach the poor.

Sub-category within SC-ST Reservation? The question referred to larger bench by Constitution bench of Supreme Court
Reservation as right: on Supreme Court judgment
reservation question in Supreme Court - Google Search

You hardly know about situations in India but come out with unintelligent questions. Your needle-pricks have no effect on me. Please remember, I can answer all your questions with proof.

ronki23

No, they never did that. Congress was always one family party, it is so even now. It was never left-wing. It fed its sycophants. The current reservations have helped only the upper economic levels of castes. Some castes have been disproportionately advantaged. Two such examples are Meenas in and around Rajasthan, and people of Nagaland. The poor have remained poor. That is why th Supreme Court is considering subdivision of lower castes, so that the benefits reach the poor.

Sub-category within SC-ST Reservation? The question referred to larger bench by Constitution bench of Supreme Court
Reservation as right: on Supreme Court judgment
reservation question in Supreme Court - Google Search

You hardly know about situations in India but come out with unintelligent questions. Your needle-pricks have no effect on me. Please remember, I can answer all your questions with proof.

So what is the difference between casteless/ out of caste and low caste ? Why don't out of caste/casteless go at the bottom of the pyramid as opposed to not being part of the hierarchy ?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People have their vested interest in castes, especially the politicians, not just those in BJP. Every time there is a talk of changing the rules, they all gang up and cry.

Last edited:

ronki23

The Gandharvas also defeated and captured the Kauravs: surely that's an indicator the Pandavas were more powerful as it was the Pandavas who defeated the Gandharvas ?

Karna was supposed to be Arjun's equal but couldn't harm him; he used the only weapon that could kill Arjun on Ghattorgach