• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions of Christianity

logician

"The predictions of the bending of light is the first example that comes to mind. There have also been no end of experiments showing that time does slow down at high speeds."

Quite true, every experiment done so far concerning Einstein's theory of relativity has confirmed it.

Why shouldn't we demand real evidence of a historical Christ, especially since Christianity is now be used as a cudgel of political hatred(anti-gay, anti-abortion,anti-atheist) against Americans.

SunMessenger

Catholic
Æsahættr said:
Rubbish. The predictions of the bending of light is the first example that comes to mind. There have also been no end of experiments showing that time does slow down at high speeds.
Mass multiplied by the speed of light squared has never been demonstrated to produce energy (E=MC2). It may be at some point but not yet. I was refering to Einsteins theory of relativity in the post you quoted. It was a point made not about him but about beliefs. I Wish You Well...

Melody

3. Which is the most accurate of the four gospels, since each gives a contradictory account of events?

I don't find the bible contradictory so please cite the items you find contradictory.

4. Why do you believe Jesus was the son of God, or God himself - even though Jesus never, ever said anything like that?

Actually, He did:

The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us." Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he."
John 4:25-26

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ,] the Son of the living God." Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
Matthew 16:16-17

But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."Mark 14:61-62

They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am."
Luke 22:70

"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
John 8:57-58

5. If the Bible is the word of God, why does it contradict itself and give various accounts of events?

I do not find the Bible contradictory. Please cite the events you consider contradictory.

6. If there is only one God, why is He a jealous God - what could He possible be jealous of?

There are many meanings for jealous. One is envy. When humans are jealous, it is from envy. We envy that other person for what they have and wish we had. Another definition for jealous is "vigilant in guarding something" and "Demanding exclusive loyalty or adherence." God is vigilant in guarding the worship and honor that belong to Him exclusively.

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God..."
Ezekiahl 20:4-5

7. Jesus's bloodline is traced back to King David - through Joseph, yet by your account Jesus was not the son of Joseph. Explain?

According to the experts in Jewish tradition, if a Jewish man adopted a son, that son now shares his lineage.

8. Jesus rose from the grave and lived amongst his disciples for 40 days before ascending, why isn't there any record outside the bible of the walking corpse of a notorius executed criminal?

Perhaps because the unbelievers were not visited personally by Jesus. Lots of stuff doesn't get into our history books because they're tabbed as conspiracy theories. Maybe...maybe not. Doesn't mean they can't have happened.

Melody

kai said:
thats why its easier for people to choose islam because it is simpler, i think Jesus would not be a happy chap if he came back and saw what a mess the christians have made of it.

And God would be happier if people chose a religion because it's "simpler" and easy to choose?

My God is a bit more powerful than that. He's capable of letting His truth shine through despite the best attempts by man and Satan to confuse the issue.

Melody

The Truth said:
"...the Lord hath said unto me (David): 'Thou art My son: this day have I begotten thee." (Psalms 2:7)

Note, it is you who are assuming that it is David. If you read the entire Psalm, no mere man would be promised all that God has promised.

I will proclaim the decree of the LORD :
He said to me, "You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.

Ask of me,
and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.

Psalm 2:7-8

I'll leave your other quotes for those who argue better. I understand what scriptural experts are saying (and documented by scriptural reference), but not well enough to explain it to someone else.

Melody

open_mind said:
did Jesus ask christians to use the cross as a holy symbol?

if NO,then why does the cross act as a clear title for christianity all over the world,i mean why do christians follow a basic not ordered by their lord?

if YES,HOW???,the cross was Jesus' end

another question
did Jesus' companions use the cross in their prayers during Jesus' life with them??

my goal from these questions is to prove the cross was nothing during jesus' life,that jesus was just a messanger from God and that he did not ask people to worship him.

No, the cross is the symbol of Jesus's resurrection and triumph over death. Many Christians use the symbol of the cross to represent their belief for the same reasons. Contrary to what some other religions would have you believe, there is nothing wrong with having a cross in a church or wearing it around your neck. It is a symbol....not an idol that we worship. We do not worship the cross. We worship our God.

Though I'm not sure where you make the leap of logic that the cross was nothing during Jesus life; therefore, he was just a messenger and didn't ask to be worshipped.

If you're implying that He never said He was God, please see my post with quoted bible verses where He did claim to be God.