• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions no one can answer

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If God is just and good then every living thing deserves to be here in this existence under these circumstances. Or perhaps that there is a reason why things are the way they are. A higher purpose! And i see none of those things in reality. Does anybody?

Whatever made us is more like a mad scientist than a God. I can somewhat understand the naturalist pov, that nature just does what it does with no guiding hand in it. On the flip side i would have to consider human life existing like winning a cosmic lottery at least 22 times in a row.
I do not think that saying that the fact that we exist has a probability of 1 because we exist here means anything whatsoever. That explanation is putting on the blinders to the extreme unlikelihood of our existence.

Though we are extremely unlikely to exist, we also mean nothing special to the universe. That is evidenced by all the accidental tragedies that befall living creatures. It doesnt matter to the universe who you are, the same tragedies befall us all.

Its not an easy topic. From God to naturalism, to mystical who knows why we are here!?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nikosis, BSM1, nPeace and myself are the only ones who responded to the question in the OP. Everybody else is arguing that they don't believe in God and why. :D Ya know? We've got umpteen billion threads on why folks don't believe in God, and its usually the same things. Obviously the OP puts forward some loaded questions, so I get it. I'm just thinking about how the conversation goes. Columbus gets honorable mention for originality.
When someone says that they can't reconcile something with a set of assumptions, it's perfectly reasonable to step back and ask why they're taking the assumptions as given.

I believe in God but sometimes I ask myself these questions:

1. Why is there a God who created everything? Why is there no God and therefore nothing?

2. Why is God good and just and not bad and unjust?

3. Can God the Almighty "destroy" Himself? If not, is he almighty at all?
Can God the Almighty give his omnipotence to another? If not, is he Almighty at all?

Do you sometimes ask yourselves questions that no one can answer? If so, what kind of questions?

I think no question is unanswerable. But the answers may just be not very good. :)

My answers to your questions would be:

1. I think the reason is love.

2. Because He has decided it is better to be good and just.

3. I believe God could destroy Himself and give up His power. According to the Bible, He has given His power to Jesus.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member

1. Why is there a God who created everything? Why is there no God and therefore nothing?

Can God the Almighty give his omnipotence to another? If not, is he Almighty at all?

Do you sometimes ask yourselves questions that no one can answer? If so, what kind of questions?

Why would an omnipotent, omniscient 'god' create a world where every living creature must eat another living creature in order to stay alive himself?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think no question is unanswerable. But the answers may just be not very good. :)

My answers to your questions would be:

1. I think the reason is love.

2. Because He has decided it is better to be good and just.

3. I believe God could destroy Himself and give up His power. According to the Bible, He has given His power to Jesus.
The first question is, "Why is there a God ...?"
The second question is, "Why is God good and just and not bad and unjust?"
The third question... "Can God the Almighty "destroy" Himself?..."
Can an immortal be destroyed? How? That's impossible, as far as human knowledge goes, and it is impossible from knowledge given by God himself.
God has no end. Something that has no end, cannot end. Funny, that sounds needless to say. ;)

nPeace

Veteran Member
What about God walking in the garden in Genesis?

What about origin of language and human behavior?
Not sure what you mean, 'What about them?'
These are questions that can be answered from the Bible, if that's what you mean.

Scott C.

Just one guy

I believe your questions are addressed to those of us who believe in a God of creation, who is good and who is omnipotent. These questions are too easily answered by those who don't believe in God. Their answer of course is that there is no such God and the questions are silly. But as one who believes in God, I don't think any religon, including mine, answers the question as to why there is something rather than nothing. I don't think atheists have the answer either. To me, it's a rather mind blowing question. I would say that it seems more logical that there would be nothing rather than something, yet reality proves otherwise.

Can God destroy himself? I don't know. I would say though, that he doesn't want to destory himself because that would not be "good" and would go against his nature.

Can God make another Omnipotent? Probably.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I sometimes ask myself what's the point of taking the time and effort in learning a religion when you know you're going to eventually die and completely lose everything you learn?

Pipiripi

End Times Prophecy.

Sorry my friend I can answered all questions Biblical.

SA Huguenot

I love this reasoning.

If I read the Bible, especially the Old Testament which you believe in, I came to the following conclusions.
1. God is not part of His Creation, but can participate therewith. Just like we can look at a Model T Ford, and see the design, we can speak and touch a Model T, but will never be able to see Henry who designed and built the car in it! if there was Nothing, It would also not be evidence that God does not exist, just as if there was not a single Ford car, we will not know if Henry Ford existed. We will not be there, therefore we wont know.
2. God is Good and Just, because this is what He told us He is, and we can witness what He did in the OT.
if God was Matter, he would definately be destgroyed. if not by Human logic, then by default, because God who is not matter will destroy such a god of matter.
The God who is not Matter, can not be destroyed, and this makes Him Almighty.
Ill be back on 3

calm

1. God is not part of His Creation, but can participate therewith. Just like we can look at a Model T Ford, and see the design, we can speak and touch a Model T, but will never be able to see Henry who designed and built the car in it! if there was Nothing, It would also not be evidence that God does not exist, just as if there was not a single Ford car, we will not know if Henry Ford existed. We will not be there, therefore we wont know.
I probably misspoke. I believe in God, that he exists is safe. Number 1, just asks the question why there is a God at all. Why can there be no God and therefore nothing? What is nothing at all and what does it look like? Questions that no one can answer.

You say God can't destroy himself, is he then omnipotent at all? And why is God as He is, good and just, and not bad and unjust?

Last edited:

calm

I sometimes ask myself what's the point of taking the time and effort in learning a religion when you know you're going to eventually die and completely lose everything you learn?
If you believe in Jesus sacrifice and do His will, then you will receive eternal life.

SA Huguenot

This is an Oxymoron.
As if one say
Foolish wisdom, dancing corpse, Blind sight. Lame sprint.etc.
Now, the question:"Can God the Almighty give his omnipotence to another? If not, is he Almighty at all?"
is the same as can Henry ford give his design to a factory to produce model T's?
is Henry Ford still the designer of the model T?
can Henry Ford give his co orperative powers to a board of directors to run the company?
Is Henry then less Henry, or is the committee more Henry than Henry.

It is all about subjectivity and from which point of view you like to see who Henry is?